Is this bridge legal?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
So one of me students brought this bridge device to me today and I suggested that it probably would not be legal in tournament play. I can see where if someone brought this out in a gambling match there would likely be a long discussion before it gets used.

In looking up the general rules for bridges it states any form of bridge is okay if it conforms to normal standards. A bit vague but this tool does not fit that description to me. What say you?
Still, It is pretty interesting and with a bit of practice it works well.

Tom

PS What is the definition of "normal" ? Normal in the sense of appearance or functionality? I my opinion this tool does conform to functionality but not appearance so it could be argued either way I guess.
I have no horse in this race. I don't care one way or the other because it becomes fair game for all players either way.

Attachments

• Wheel Bridge.jpg
    Wheel Bridge.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have no idea Tom but for what it's Wirth (see what i did there?), I have seen different kinds of bridges and things resembling bridges so I am not sure where you draw the line. If its a piece of equipment that allows you to bridge over a ball and nothing else, I don't see an issue in using it.

That's not going by any rules, that just my 2 cents. If I were gambling and my opponent brought this out, i may make a joke about it but I certainly wouldn't prevent him from using it, unless I found out later it had some sort of auto aim functionality to it. :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Why do you think it’s illegal.
The cue is held by it
Instead of being stationary it seems you can roll it
Is that the issue?

baby huey

Verified Member
The rules for Bridges has gone by the wayside over the last ten or so years. In 14.1 you could not use more than two standard bridges stacked together during a shot. Nowadays, it seems that all bets are off for appliances used for pool matches. I have seen some bridges that stand eight inches high. So much for standardization.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
For some reason I thought you had to keep one hand on the bridge while shooting but this may be an urban legend and not written rule.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
This question came up on Facebook ot AZB, I can't remember which, and I think after a lond discussion both pro and con, someone came up with the rule you are referring to and deemed it illegal. Sorry I cannot find the thread, but if I do I'll point you to it.

Dave

J SCHWARZ

Verified Member
with a rolling bridge like that a push seems very possible, would call a seasoned knowledgeable player to watch the hit if the bridge was deemed legal.

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
From WPA Rules of Play

(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue
stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own
bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
From WPA Rules of Play

(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue
stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own
bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.

Yep Oldschool, I saw the same rule. I used the word "normal" where to be exact I should have used the word "standard".

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
No chance that thing is legal.

Ya see? So far there are opinions that differ. Who's right? Got Me. All I know is that before you break that thing out in either a tournament match or a money match it would be a good idea to get a ruling one way or the other from the "powers that be". :D

My student wants to order one for me. I said fine, thanks. Will I use it? Don't know. Would I use it if it is deemed legal? I think so. Would I let my opponent borrow it to use on a shot against me. Depending on a variety of factors, yes.

Tom

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
I started a pretty lively discussion on FB with this video:
https://streamable.com/pp6op
The only thing fairly settled, was that it probably fails under rule sets with "intended use of equipment" rules. Tom's bridge would probably be ok there, since it is intended to move with the cue.
The only thing clear, is that it's pretty unclear whether or not this is "allowed" in the various rule sets out there.

beatle

Verified Member
then it opens up the whole game to a bunch of contraptions for steadying your stick on all shots.

it has to be illegal or the end of, pawki

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I started a pretty lively discussion on FB with this video:
https://streamable.com/pp6op
The only thing fairly settled, was that it probably fails under rule sets with "intended use of equipment" rules. Tom's bridge would probably be ok there, since it is intended to move with the cue.
The only thing clear, is that it's pretty unclear whether or not this is "allowed" in the various rule sets out there.

Yes, this was the thread and video I was referring to, thanks!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
No chance that thing is legal.

I think you are right. Old School's "if it is similar to standard bridges" seals the deal for me. The addition of wheels is what makes it so special as to not qualify as similar to standard.

However, I would not be surprised if any TD allowed its use.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think you are right. Old School's "if it is similar to standard bridges" seals the deal for me. The addition of wheels is what makes it so special as to not qualify as similar to standard.

However, I would not be surprised if any TD allowed its use.

Looks KEWL to me, a lot better than my old wobbly stroke. :)
P.S. I've seen some that telescope and periscope, turn the base off at angles,
no one complained, just wanted to know "Where can I get one"

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
It's called the shifty three wheel bridge and I was told correctly that it can be found at pooldawg.com Misc. billiard accessories.

Probably available at most online billiard supply stores.

Tom

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Once when I had a sore finger I made a simple bridge that worked like a charm. I lost it in a theft and never made another. I wish I still had it.

I took a 3" length of 1" wood dowel and drilled a hole in the end, and fitted a 3/4" eye bolt. Then I wrapped the eye tightly with a flat leather boot lace, which made a perfect surface for the sliding cue. I held it in my fist and was able to use it at a wide range of elevations, nearly always with my hand firmly on the table. I could make it tighter by twisting it a bit. There was nothing it couldn't do.

Someone should be making and marketing these gadgets in bulk. No doubt there is some substitute material for the boot lace, which could coat the ring by dipping. Much, much cheaper than the glove, and legal without question. :D

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In the days of when Billiard Congress of America was the dominate billiard and pocket billiard organization they covered 16 different pocket billiard games in their official rule book. A vast majority of these games were depicted on just one page or less. OP was 3/4 of a page for example.

I challenged myself to write a one page OP game rule to see if I could duplicate the past rule writers. I was able to do it, and it is 914 words in length, and it is jammed packed with info. depicting how the game of OP is played and orchestrated. One page game rule writing is now a long bygone forgotten art.

*But in it I depicted the rule for cue use and bridge use, and here is how I wrote it; All shots, including break, jump & masse' shots are only allowed to be executed with your playing cue. On bridge shots, only table bridges are allowed.*

Remember this is a one page game rule, and there is no extra space to go into detail. Such as; two bridges are allowed to be stacked. This would of course be more appropriately listed within the pocket billiard general rules.

To clarify I wrote this game rule in accordance in how I think OP should be played, and not necessarily traditional or in today's current rules. Whitey

real pool games: spot balls and have BIH/BTL.

Last edited: