Is Fats a fit?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
A point well taken...I hope !

A point well taken...I hope !

For those who did not peruse the entire thread, allow me to call attention to what can happen, when you become TOO immersed in the miniscule world, that is "insider pool"...In arguing a point, some tend to make VERY irrational statements, no matter what their I.Q..Or their side in the debate...Several quotes in this this Thread, WILL bear that out..;)

PS..I hope all my effort's, in presenting this encapsulation, do not fall, on more then a FEW deaf ear's...As many of these FACTS, were totally ignored by some..:eek:

In his prime (the 60's, 70's and 80's), Minnesota Fats (Wanderone) was as well known as Gleason and just as recognizable.

Here are just a few responses, there were several more like these--

SJDinPHX 35423 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX

Jay,

That also appears to mean, you have immersed yourself in that world, so much, as to be blinded to the fact, that just because YOU and I, and everybody in the "pool world" knew Fats, EVERYBODY must know him.
You stated, "The world knew him as well as a guy, like Jackie Gleason", who was a real, live icon as a celebrity for almost his entire life. I can't believe you made that statement.

LFigueroa said:
For anyone to claim that Fats was as known and/or as recognizable as Gleason is, well, more than a little over the top.

For decades, Gleason was a music, television, and movie star, loved by millions.

Fats was a pool hustler.

Lou Figueroa
let's try and keep
things in perspective

GreyGhost said:
I agree he probably never would have become a household name if it were not for the hustler....but regardless we would have still been talking about the Fat Man today with or without movie. Just because Titanic tomson was not in a movie don't make him any less Titanic to the people versed in the game/hustle/history of billiards as a whole. He did not just ride the movie to glory....the man made it happen on his own right just as much as the movie helped him IMOP

My response to Grey Ghost..

SJDinPHX said:
GG man, I don't think you realize, you just re-enforced what I've been saying all along.
"Titanic was not in a movie, and that don't make him any less Titanic... TO THE PEOPLE VERSED IN THE GAME/HUSTLE/HISTORY of billiards as a whole" ...those are your own words.

Your words are very true...no one is talking about people, "versed in the game"...Of course "WE" all knew who Titanic and Fat's were. You have got to wake up to the fact that "WE" are a very, very, small minority, and NO ONE outside of "US" would ever have heard of Minnesota Fat's had it not been for a highly successful movie, with big name stars, that the public adored.
The movie was more about life and morality anyway... pool was just a vehicle to tell the story, just like "The Raging Bull" used boxing.....Titanic (who was never even known for his pool skills) WAS a legend to you and me...and guy's like US, but he died in relative obscurity...NO ONE EVER MADE A GOOD MOVIE, with big name stars

SJDinPHX said:
Exerpt from Tom Fox story on Fat's...
"And this regarding Wanderone's Minnesota Fats hoax from JoAnn Jansco: "We were sitting in the J & J, and Fats was playing pool with my dad, recalled JoAnn. David asked me where the movie was playing, and my dad said it was at the drive-in the Egyptian, out in Heron, Illinois. And then my dad told Fats --and I'll never forget this-- my dad said, 'You ought to go over there and set up a stand and claim to be Minnesota Fats ...He just kept telling him and telling him, said JoAnn. Wanderone, by then, had resided in little Egypt for nearly two decades. he was semiretired, well past his prime, had very little money. In fact, he was broke just as often as not. he'd spent his life as a pool hustler but had very little to show for it. 'Go out there,' hissed Jansco. 'Just go out there. Do it'."

Does that sound like a guy who was an "on top of the world" celebrity in 1961 ?...Not to anybody I know it doesn't.

I do emphatically agree...NO ONE could have got more milage, out of what he was basically "kissed into",...than Fatty.

By the way, Where's Jay ? He has been noticably absent, since his 'faux paus'...C'mon back Jay..I thought I had made a mistake once...But I was wrong...:p

Last edited:

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Ladies and getlemen, please

Ladies and getlemen, please

The contraversy over Tevis...Fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats will reign as long as there is felt on the tables.

As for Fat's influence on the book or vice-versa, I don't know if proof, one way or the other exists. But make no pretenses RA or anyone else about the influence behind the character "Fast Eddie" Nobody knew Tevis better than Toby Kavenaugh, who owned the pool room where Tevis hung out and was working during the period of his college and writing the book. Mr. Kavenaugh had one wall in his pool room decorated with Eddie Taylor Memorabelia stating he was the influence for the character. You don't have to take my word for it, I have a Cincinatti newspaper with Mr. Kavenaugh's interview talking about he and Tevis working on the book together.
Sadly, Mr. Kavenaugh met an untimely death at the hands of some hoods who were robbing him. It devestated Eddie, who was his close friend.

As for my friend, Rudolph Walter "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone, let's examine the world of his friends, his contemporaries and his fans, along with his knockers who are still riding his coat tail, even as we/I speak. What's the difference whether he could or could not beat whomever? He's dead and gone so why can't we put some stock in who he was when his cue was unscrewed.

The following is from a letter written to my wife and me by his wife, Evelyn.
I have it in my book, written in her own hand.

DuQuoin, Ill.
July 10, 96

"Dear Alf and wife Judy"
Yes, I'm happy to say being married to Minnesota Fats for 44 years was unlike most girls enjoy. He taught me what it was like to be street smart.

We were married in 1941. In those days it was great for a young wife to travel by car and see the sights across country, especially the inside of some of those old pool rooms. But, you woud be surprised to know that I was well respected. I acted like a lady and they treated me as such.

Minnesota was most happy at our home in Dowell, Ill. With cats and dogs, mostly cast offs. He hustled food for them every morning. He went to McDonalds and other places that gave good hand outs.

Fats was away on a trip. The weather was bad and I decided we didn't have enough shelter for the animals. I called our lumber co. and asked how soon I could get a big animal house built. They erected a block building for the cats & dogs. It was known as Evelyn's Cat House. Fat's approved and liked it very much.
Please excuse this try. The best of luck to you both" Evelyn Wanderone.

Here's an idea to all of you readers and talkers in the pool word: wait until you've delved into the history of pool in Fats era to judge his playing. And wait until you've surpassed Mr. Wanderone's humane accomplishments until you continue bashing him. After all, Fat's spoke so highly of you.

RIP Fat man. They don't understand.
Keep it nice. Alfie

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The contraversy over Tevis...Fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats will reign as long as there is felt on the tables.

As for Fat's influence on the book or vice-versa, I don't know if proof, one way or the other exists. But make no pretenses RA or anyone else about the influence behind the character "Fast Eddie" Nobody knew Tevis better than Toby Kavenaugh, who owned the pool room where Tevis hung out and was working during the period of his college and writing the book. Mr. Kavenaugh had one wall in his pool room decorated with Eddie Taylor Memorabelia stating he was the influence for the character. You don't have to take my word for it, I have a Cincinatti newspaper with Mr. Kavenaugh's interview talking about he and Tevis working on the book together.
Sadly, Mr. Kavenaugh met an untimely death at the hands of some hoods who were robbing him. It devestated Eddie, who was his close friend.

As for my friend, Rudolph Walter "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone, let's examine the world of his friends, his contemporaries and his fans, along with his knockers who are still riding his coat tail, even as we/I speak. What's the difference whether he could or could not beat whomever? He's dead and gone so why can't we put some stock in who he was when his cue was unscrewed.

The following is from a letter written to my wife and me by his wife, Evelyn.
I have it in my book, written in her own hand.

DuQuoin, Ill.
July 10, 96

"Dear Alf and wife Judy"
Yes, I'm happy to say being married to Minnesota Fats for 44 years was unlike most girls enjoy. He taught me what it was like to be street smart.

We were married in 1941. In those days it was great for a young wife to travel by car and see the sights across country, especially the inside of some of those old pool rooms. But, you woud be surprised to know that I was well respected. I acted like a lady and they treated me as such.

Minnesota was most happy at our home in Dowell, Ill. With cats and dogs, mostly cast offs. He hustled food for them every morning. He went to McDonalds and other places that gave good hand outs.

Fats was away on a trip. The weather was bad and I decided we didn't have enough shelter for the animals. I called our lumber co. and asked how soon I could get a big animal house built. They erected a block building for the cats & dogs. It was known as Evelyn's Cat House. Fat's approved and liked it very much.
Please excuse this try. The best of luck to you both" Evelyn Wanderone.

Here's an idea to all of you readers and talkers in the pool word: wait until you've delved into the history of pool in Fats era to judge his playing. And wait until you've surpassed Mr. Wanderone's humane accomplishments until you continue bashing him. After all, Fat's spoke so highly of you.

RIP Fat man. They don't understand.
Keep it nice. Alfie

If you can find one post, where I "bashed" Fatty, either as a humanitarian, or a real, icon of pool...I will buy you a new Rolex. (fake copy of course)

Most of the posts I've made, re; Fat's, deal with his actual skill level, and are in response to my main adversary, and thus become an effort to try and piss HIM off... Do not think I did not enjoy Fat's schtick,...like everyone else.

The only other area I have dealt with, was how he BECAME "Minnesota Fats" and I know you are way to intelligent to not understand, that it's not a knock on him..Just the simple truth...:cool:

So get off my case, you big bully, or I may "unfriend" you...JK JK JK JK :p :p

NOTE;..If I forget to add "JK" and "smiley faces",..when I joke with the B***d, he goes into spastic convulsions, and calls me very hurtful names..:(..Do I have to do the same thing with m' best bud ? :confused:

PS..As usual, you did not "QUOTE" anyone, as I advised....So I have to ASSUME you were "talking to me"..

View attachment 5561

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Yes, I corrected it...Are you trying for the "Mr. Pincushion, A-Hole - Butt-in" award ?...(you are closing in fast)..:rolleyes: :( :cool:

Dear Edit Breath,

If you note the time of my post (3:37) and the time of your edit (3:37) you'll see that I was writing when you were editing. I caught you:p

It's tough to catch a Duck mid-edit.

RBL

Jimmy B

Verified Member
If you can find one post, where I "bashed" Fatty, either as a humanitarian, or a real, icon of pool...I will buy you a new Rolex. (fake copy of course)

Most of the posts I've made, re; Fat's, deal with his actual skill level, and are in response to my main adversary, and thus become an effort to try and piss HIM off... Do not think I did not enjoy Fat's schtick,...like everyone else.

The only other area I have dealt with, was how he BECAME "Minnesota Fats" and I know you are way to intelligent to not understand, that it's not a knock on him..Just the simple truth...:cool:

NOTE;..If I forget to add "JK" and "smiley faces",..when I joke with the B***d, he goes into spastic convulsions, and calls me very hurtful names..:(..Do I have to do the same thing with m' best bud ? :confused:

PS..As usual, you did not "QUOTE" anyone, as I advised....So I have to ASSUME you were "talking to me"..

View attachment 5561

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw87M8MVGBM&feature=related[/ame]

I didn't think that you were harsh on Fats at all. When I say someone played great and SuperDuck says someone was great, it means two different things. So to me, Fats played great in his hungry prime pool hustling days. I was thinking the other day, what if SVB went into a 7-11 to pay for gas and bought a powerball ticket and won about 90 mil after tax and cash option deduct. Would his game deteriorate or stay the same or improve? I envision Fats having a pet such as this. I am going to get one too and train it as a Watch Devil. Good idea??

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member

View attachment 5561

Ricardo.
If I just wanted to talk to you, pal, I'd call. I was talking to the "Minnesota Fats" name hanging on WORLD. Kick around how he plays all you like, pool players of today but for those of you who were not around in his prime (40s-50s) how can you be sure. It was early 60s when I met him, in Johnston City and he was beyond it, even then. Still, a ball was all he could get from guys like Marshall Carpenter, Joey Spaeth and Johnny Vevis. At this time I was just getting into the game and couldn't play around those guys but I know what I saw.
Here's how I see it. All religions are based on faith versus doubt as are almost all of our daily decisions. Whether it spawned from his exagerated bragging or anything else, fats never took the path of doubt. That's what made him such an interesting character. For instance, he played Cornbread a session on his television show. Cornbread won and that could have been just one more pool session come and gone. But right before Cornbread shot in the game ball Fats said "No use making it. Nobody's gonna believe it anyway."
since humor is essentially based on the ridiculous Fat's last lunge in the direction of faith that session is what made him the unforgettable character that he was.

I'm not, nor will I be squabbling over any of this or any other subject when posting. I'm just adding my two cents...and, just for fun.
Keep it nice. Alfie

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Ricardo.
If I just wanted to talk to you, pal, I'd call. I was talking to the "Minnesota Fats" name hanging on WORLD. Kick around how he plays all you like, pool players of today but for those of you who were not around in his prime (40s-50s) how can you be sure. It was early 60s when I met him, in Johnston City and he was beyond it, even then. Still, a ball was all he could get from guys like Marshall Carpenter, Joey Spaeth and Johnny Vevis. At this time I was just getting into the game and couldn't play around those guys but I know what I saw.
Here's how I see it. All religions are based on faith versus doubt as are almost all of our daily decisions. Whether it spawned from his exagerated bragging or anything else, fats never took the path of doubt. That's what made him such an interesting character. For instance, he played Cornbread a session on his television show. Cornbread won and that could have been just one more pool session come and gone. But right before Cornbread shot in the game ball Fats said "No use making it. Nobody's gonna believe it anyway."
since humor is essentially based on the ridiculous Fat's last lunge in the direction of faith that session is what made him the unforgettable character that he was.

I'm not, nor will I be squabbling over any of this or any other subject when posting. I'm just adding my two cents...and, just for fun.
Keep it nice. Alfie
I loved that one:lol keep em cummen. :D

Dr. Bill

hitnandpikn

Verified Member
Hollywood?

Hollywood?

Everyone wants a sequel to "The Hustler" while I always thought the real story to be told was Fats, the true story. People whom have never run two balls all know the legend, us in the know, have a understanding of the situation he found himself in, and how he parlayed it into something bigger than any player past or present. His personality, fame , hustle, womanizing and kind heart are the exciting story our sport needs to tell. A whole generation is playing that really know little of the man and that way of life. I'm sure the movie he made,"The Player", was not an honest portrayal, but its gone anyway. With the right star and gritty story line, it's a can't miss.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Last shot on this subject !

Last shot on this subject !

A whole generation is playing that really know little of the man and that way of life. I'm sure the movie he made,"The Player", was not an honest portrayal, but its gone anyway. With the right star and gritty story line, it's a can't miss.

I am in total agreement, with what you say. Fat's, Titanic, or even Hubert Cokes, all have a fascinating life story to tell. My point is this. In order to have what is needed, for any book, or movie, to be successful...Is mass appeal.
Even with a good story line, that appeals to the common man or woman, it STILL may go nowhere. And even with the best director, and a great cast, the best story in the world, may still fail.

As has been alluded to before, movies like 'the Hustler' or 'the Raging Bull' or some of the great stories about famous race horses...Were not really about hustling pool, or boxing, or racing. They were about the human element and the morality (or lack thereof) of the characters they portrayed.

Without a top notch director, and Newman, Gleason, and George Scott, "The Hustler" may not have been any better, or recieved any more accolades, than "Pool Hall Junkie's" or "the River".

It was "lightning in a jug" that caused an aging, indigent pool hustler, known ONLY to our little world, to become an overnight, popular comodity. For sure, there are very few people that could have capitalized on it more than Fat's did...But, that does not change the fact, that without that "perfect storm" of a very popular movie, with the most popular actors of our generation,...Fatty would almost certainly have lived his life out in relative obscurity. Anyone who refuses to believe that, just doesn't want to.

No matter how he was percieved in our world..I say again, ask amost ANY game show contestant, even today, who Rudolph Walter Waderone was, you will get a blank stare, ask them who "Minnesota Fats" was, and a picture of Jackie Gleason, will pop into their head, and they will at least know it had something to do with pool.

Fats was an unforgetable character, and was once one of my hero's too... Those who want to call this "Fatty bashing" may do so... But, I was drawn into this debate, (argument) by those who think the sun rises and sets, in a pool room...I thought that way once too,...then I grew up... One thing for sure I'm glad of, I think Fatty (or at least Minnesota Fats) may have finally replaced Mosconi, as the most common name associated with pool hustling..It doesn't really matter how he got there...(never cared much for Willie)

PS..But "Bicycle Willys" OK, I guess. ;)

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I wuz dere

I wuz dere

Ricardo.

Keep it nice. Alfie

Alf, now before DickBrain finds somebody else he might have talked to on the phone, or read about in the Huffington Post, or dreamt up, or whatever, who he says, WAS REALLY THERE, let me post this.

Fatty, as you know Alf, had a TV show in Chicago called Minnesota Fats Hustles the Pros. It ran for 13 weeks on a UHF channel (32) that up ‘til then had about 4 viewers. They didn't have ratings then, but for 13 weeks he cleared the streets for 2 hrs on Thursdays and was the talk of the town. Seats for the broadcast were sold out from day 1. I attended the first match when he played CornBread Red. As unbelievably charismatic as CornBread Red was, and I used to follow him around like a puppy dog, when Fats was in the room, the most you could get out of Red was he would mutter quietly at Fats with his head down.

Nobody dominated a room like Fats. On that TV show, I seen him rip the mike out of the hands of the announcer, "Whispering" Joe Wilson, the famous bowling announcer, and take over the whole show. (TV was live in those days)

The famous Second City studio was jammed, and people were sitting on the stairs in violation of the fire code. That's where I sat, the tickets were long gone and I could only get in on a duke from the Fatman. The A/C wasn’t working very well and Fats squawked so much so much that the next week they moved the set to a site that was 3 times the size, but you still had to know somebody to get a ticket. That tiny UHF station, channel 32 is now the Fox Network outlet.

He was on the old Tonight show in the 60s when it ran for 1 1/2 hours, and the host, I forgot who, canceled all the other guests and kept Fatty on for the whole show.

Fats overpowered TV personalities like Mike Douglas and Johnny Carson.

Beard

Alf, ya'll must have noticed how DuckBrain has cleverly backtracked away from his original premise that Fatty never could ever play, and was just a glorified over rated short-stop.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Here we go again....!

Here we go again....!

Alf, now before DickBrain finds somebody else he might have talked to on the phone, or read about in the Huffington Post, or dreamt up, or whatever, who he says, WAS REALLY THERE, let me post this.

Fatty, as you know Alf, had a TV show in Chicago called Minnesota Fats Hustles the Pros. It ran for 13 weeks on a UHF channel (32) that up ‘til then had about 4 viewers. They didn't have ratings then, but for 13 weeks he cleared the streets for 2 hrs on Thursdays and was the talk of the town. Seats for the broadcast were sold out from day 1. I attended the first match when he played CornBread Red. As unbelievably charismatic as CornBread Red was, and I used to follow him around like a puppy dog, when Fats was in the room, the most you could get out of Red was he would mutter quietly at Fats with his head down.

Nobody dominated a room like Fats. On that TV show, I seen him rip the mike out of the hands of the announcer, "Whispering" Joe Wilson, the famous bowling announcer, and take over the whole show. (TV was live in those days)

The famous Second City studio was jammed, and people were sitting on the stairs in violation of the fire code. That's where I sat, the tickets were long gone and I could only get in on a duke from the Fatman. The A/C wasn’t working very well and Fats squawked so much so much that the next week they moved the set to a site that was 3 times the size, but you still had to know somebody to get a ticket. That tiny UHF station, channel 32 is now the Fox Network outlet.<---Wow, talk about a stretch, to prove your point... In only 13 wks. he got the power brokers to form Fox News, and take over the station...absolutely amazing !

He was on the old Tonight show in the 60s when it ran for 1 1/2 hours, and the host, I forgot who, canceled all the other guests and kept Fatty on for the whole show.

Fats overpowered TV personalities like Mike Douglas and Johnny Carson. <--Give me a break, ya unnerstan, ? they just let him roll, ya unnerstan ? "I'm da bes player in da woild, ya unnerstan ?

Beard

Alf, ya'll must have noticed how DuckBrain has cleverly backtracked away from his original premise that Fatty never could ever play, and was just a glorified over rated short-stop.

Alfie,

Tell BeardBrain, that post I made, was no different then what myself and many other's (including his best bud, Danny D) have said all along. Fats was no better or lesser known, than any other high rolling pool hustler, he just did it better than most. Colorful character that he was, he always had a few thousand loyal (but broke) fans. Out of 300 million, thats hardly a household name.
I tried to put it in a way that EVEN Beardbrain might understand..But nooooo, he still wants to talk about all the hoopla, and TV appearances Fatty Made AFTER he became 'Minnesota Fats"

Fried-Brain Fred, is not even smart enough to realize that only gives MORE credibility to my take on the subject...Sorry...
..., bottom line, no movie, no national recognition for Fatty.

PS..Bicycle Willy, After you've been here a while, you will notice, that if I say white, he says black...I'm surprised he hasn't started kicking his Dachsie's and switched to a "lib lovin' Democrat"... as those were the ONLY two things we ever agreed on. Oh, and while we're at it, get him to tell you the origin of the "Weenie Beanie good, Detroit Whitey Bad" that you see bandied about here...Its very interesting..:rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Lets take a poll..

Lets take a poll..

Lets really get real. What do the forum people really want to read? Posts with old time stories by someone who was actually at the event, and who has a penchant for interesting and informative writing. Like my Fats story in post #212, or a whiney, thinly disguised, knocking rebuttal, like Duckbrain just put forth -- again.
You know like, inspiring lines like, "I'm not knocking Fats, I always, blah, blah, blah. and he was good for, blah, blah, blah, BUT, everybody knows that, yechh, yech, yech, and he could never, yech, yech, yech, and anybody who knows anything, knows that, yech, yech, yech.

Beard

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
So sorry

So sorry

for any poste that I've put up that fan's fires best left simmering. It's painfully obvious that there is a little discrepansy in a couple of member's ways of percieving things, and some of it is about friends and characters no longer with us.

How did the Monty Python guy say it "Bring out your dead". And the guy being thrown in the wagon said "I'm not dead yet"

The future belongs to detente.

Keep it nice. Alfie

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I love Fats and listening to his bullshit. Here are a couple of clips of him and Puckett playing.

Fats says "I play pool for a week, then poker for a week, chase tomatoes for a week, then sleep for a week". Gotta love that Fatman:D

He also fought in three revolutions:).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR8z7NIbA_I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USrPes5XGoo&feature=related[/ame]

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
for any poste that I've put up that fan's fires best left simmering. It's painfully obvious that there is a little discrepansy in a couple of member's ways of percieving things, and some of it is about friends and characters no longer with us.

How did the Monty Python guy say it "Bring out your dead". And the guy being thrown in the wagon said "I'm not dead yet"

Keep it nice. Alfie

Detente? What does pasta have to do with this?

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Keep it nice. Alfie

No need to feel any regrets Alfie, he can turn ANY mole hill into a Mount St. Helens, with his charming and friendly persona..:cool:

Detente doesn't seem to work out for us. I think I would prefer to treat him more like North Korea...No contact...No whiney references and cleverly [sic] disguised aspersions in posts to others, either. (his favorite move, to bait me into a confrontation)

I have learned his MO...When he has blustered his way into a trap, instead of responding intelligently to any questions asked of him, he starts in with his old...'blah,blah yech,yech, quack,quack'...which actually means he is frustrated, because I have made way to much sense for him to refute.

He is best left in his own little world of providing us all, with the proper perspective on EVERYTHING pool related, and almost EVERY other subject known to man. He is the guy, who would argue with a cattleman, about the price of beef...and love every minute of it..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I don't care a whit about the current incarnation of the Beard/Duck feud over the state of Minnesota Fats or his legacy but I will say this: Before I ever walked into a poolroom I knew two player's names, Willie Mosconi & Minnesota Fats, that was it. Now I'm 53 yrs. old and every now & then I ask the younger guys at work (some of whom I shoot with) to name a poolplayer. The only name most of them know is Jeanette Lee. Every so often one will mention Jasmin or Allison or the girl with the big knockers (Karen Corr) but these few names are all they know.

If I mention Fats or Mosconi they look at me like there's a swastika on my forehead, they never heard of either until I bring up the names. Times change, the young guys (20's & 30's) now play computer games with each other when they aren't chasing tomatoes:) or playing ball. They go home and play on the computer half the damn night instead of doing anything they need to learn. They don't give a damn about pool or anyone that plays it, except for the girls they see on ESPN.

The only exceptions being when we could still get online on the cafeteria computer and someone was streaming matches & gambling, the guys enjoyed watching that, otherwise zero, zilch, nada.

Dennis

Don Smith

Verified Member
Response to Beard's poll

Response to Beard's poll

Fred,

I vote for your stories.