Interest list for SS ll & S l

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
For the super seniors I think having some SS flyers at Derby City will probably help fill the field because I know there are some active over 70 players that come to the Derby that are not on the list yet.

That would be great Steve, I'm not sure I will make it, but it would certainly be great to send some flyers with our representative who could then post them at the DCC.

Good idea Steve, got anyone in mind to make up the flyers?

Thanks for the suggestion and any others you may think of.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
That would be great Steve, I'm not sure I will make it, but it would certainly be great to send some flyers with our representative who could then post them at the DCC.

Good idea Steve, got anyone in mind to make up the flyers?

Thanks for the suggestion and any others you may think of.

I will make something up if no one else wants to. Any suggestions will be appreciated and I won't be offended if someone else does it.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Summer @ the Rio

Summer @ the Rio

I will make something up if no one else wants to. Any suggestions will be appreciated and I won't be offended if someone else does it.

At the BCA events in Vegas, be a great place to hang a flyer for next yrs event. I'm sure there's a league player that could help out.

The reason the BCAPL event is in July??? Because Mark Griffin is from Alaska ;).

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
Hello Jakie,

i am NE in Ponte Vedra Beach. Are you close to Santibel? I rent a condo every year there, send my wife and her family or friends but never go because of nothing to do:rolleyes: May be worth it to play.

Also, is Diamond Billiards the one where the guy drove the truck through the window recently? If so, what was the result? It dropped out of the news.
Phil

Phil-
Sanibel is about 45min north of Naples. I would like to play some if you decide,to come over. Diamond is about 20-25 mins from Sanibel. My cell# is 240-876-2003. Give me a call.

Thanks

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

You did a beautiful job last time.... that kinda sucks you in. :D

(I wouldn't even know where to start to attempt it myself.)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

You have my vote! Great job last time John, I was hoping you'd oblige us once more. Starting this early, surely would insure the maximum turn out, especially with flyers placed at DCC & at any other tournaments being held in between.

Go for it John, I will keep the interest list updated if you will take care of the flyer. I think I got the best of it, but hey, it was lucky for you last time out!!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
6 holes left

6 holes left

SS ll.
(1) Frank Almanza ( Frank the Barber )
(2) LSJOHN ( Long Strokin John )
(3) Harold Smith (Smitty)
(4) John Henderson (Current SS Champion)
(5) James Christopher ( Sniper )
(6) Jeff Sparks (Tall Jeff )
(7) Phil Martin
(8) John Rizzo
(9) Maurice LeBlanc
(10) Ron Hamblett
(11) Bob McFarrin
(12) Bill Rowsey (Southavenrecreationcenter)
(13) B.Smith
(14) Tyler Bob

S l
(1)NH Steve.
(2)Frank Almanza ( Frank the Barber )
(3)LSJOHN ( Long Strokin John )
(4)Tom Wirth
(5)John Henderson ( Current SS Champion )
(6)James Christopher ( Sniper )
(7)Jeff Sparks (Tall Jeff )
(8)Bill.....???
(9)Wayne
(10 open
(11)Bill Meacham.( Island Drive )
(12)Nick Principe (Jakie)
(13)Cary
(14)Robert Newkirk (rnewkirk)
(15)Joe MacNamara (Joe Mac)
(16)Mike Nagaki
(17)Jerry Matchin (Baby Huey)
(18)Phil Martin
(19)HOB Rob
(20)Warren Ruth
(21)Jersey John
(22)Tyler Bob

Last edited:

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Just 6 holes left in the Seniors Classic # 1, good chance it will fill before any real world shakers discover it's on the map.

Just my personal opinion but I think this format will eventually catch on big time

Too many older players feeling left out and really looking' for something to do ...

Thanks to all who are pushing this :)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Any one know if the SSI dates are set yet?

David Richardson ( Owner of Bogies ) is abroad, Rizzo and I have discussed it briefly, but nothing is going to get solid without approval from on high. If I had to make a guess, I'd say April 21st thru April 24th, somewhere near or on those dates.

The 1ST Seniors Classic will be started a day ahead ( Thursday ) of the SS ll.
However, all entries for both events must be paid in full 24 hours prior to the Calcutta players auction, which will hopefully start around 1:00 PM Thursday after the players meeting. All paid players in both divisions will be sold at Thursdays Calcutta auction.

John Rizzo wants to keep the $1000.00 playoff match between the two Champions, however, nothing is ironclad until we hear from the man that owns the building.

One thing is fairly certain though, both divisions are a reality at this day and time and it looks like it will be a full field in both, judging by the responses we have received with no advertising done whatsoever.

I will post any new players to their respective divisions as they sign up and I will keep you all updated on any new developments as they happen. If you're on the fence about playing either division, it would be best to add your name to the interest list, as it is a limited field and the interest list will have the right of first refusal.

Cheers,
Jeff

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Fwiw

Fwiw

Since Harry Reasoner used to play with UJ, be nice if we'd have a similar situation take place with a well know actor, who is Old and also enjoys hangin' with players his age and can play a little. Actors and pool players are very similar animals, self made. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an actor from NYC that would join in, could get some ink in the TX news and newspapers.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Since Harry Reasoner used to play with UJ, be nice if we'd have a similar situation take place with a well know actor, who is Old and also enjoys hangin' with players his age and can play a little. Actors and pool players are very similar animals, self made. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an actor from NYC that would join in, could get some ink in the TX news and newspapers.

I have heard that Ernie Guiterrez ( Ginacue ) made a cue for Dean Martin that cost $25,000.00 and that was in the early 70's! I wonder where that cue ended up? Also Peter Falk liked to play pool. Of course Jackie Gleason played better than most celebrities, so who is the old actor in NYC and do you suppose he would like to join in the fun?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I have heard that Ernie Guiterrez ( Ginacue ) made a cue for Dean Martin that cost $25,000.00 and that was in the early 70's! I wonder where that cue ended up? Also Peter Falk liked to play pool. Of course Jackie Gleason played better than most celebrities, so who is the old actor in NYC and do you suppose he would like to join in the fun?

I'll toss it out to Fran Crimi, I'm sure Helfert J. knows a few in La.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I'll toss it out to Fran Crimi, I'm sure Helfert J. knows a few in La.
You don't mean Paul Sorvino do you? Paul and I worked together a couple of times. We did a series called The Oldest Rookie. Paul don't need no press. He is big. He was in Goodfellas remember and at 76 is one of the busiest actors today. He used to play with Jerry Orbach from Law and Order at the Amsterdam. But Jerry had a table in his own Brownstone. Which I had been to several times.
We all miss Jerry very much. Last time I saw him we had dinner at Joe Allens after his play, Chicago on Broadway. This was long ago. A very, very decent human being. And he could play.

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member

Jeff, in 1967 Ernie was selling his cues at Ye Olde Billiard den out of his car. My buddy Hy Sieger who was a talent agent bought a beautiful cue very cheap. Ernie was not well known then. It had an Ivory butt. Beautiful inlay. Gina was his daughter and was a child then. They say you could put a down payment on a house with it now.
There was a whole bunch of guys from Cassavetes crew who loved to play pool and were in the Den at night. Falk by then was doing Columbo and seldom showed his face.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
You don't mean Paul Sorvino do you? Paul and I worked together a couple of times. We did a series called The Oldest Rookie. Paul don't need no press. He is big. He was in Goodfellas remember and at 76 is one of the busiest actors today. He used to play with Jerry Orbach from Law and Order at the Amsterdam. But Jerry had a table in his own Brownstone. Which I had been to several times.
We all miss Jerry very much. Last time I saw him we had dinner at Joe Allens after his play, Chicago on Broadway. This was long ago. A very, very decent human being. And he could play.

Paul Sorvino yep, Fran mentioned his name right away. No other tho did she think of.