Intentional foul jumping cue ball off table

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I have been playing with a low deflection carbon fiber for little over a year.
I find it more difficult to execute the shot where the opponent has a ball in the jaws and you are making the ball.... subsequently jumping the cue ball off the table intentionally. Does a carbon fiber shaft make this shot more difficult since it doesn't deflect? I also can't jump effectively as I used to.
Or am I just getting old?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I find it more difficult to execute the shot where the opponent has a ball in the jaws and you are making the ball.... subsequently jumping the cue ball off the table intentionally. Does a carbon fiber shaft make this shot more difficult since it doesn't deflect? I also can't jump effectively as I used to.
although I do not know the answer and I have used this method many of time myself, I almost would rather it be illegal. If you cant follow it in or scratch in another pocket I think jumping it off the table shouldn't be allowed. That's just my 2 cents ~

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
although I do not know the answer and I have used this method many of time myself, I almost would rather it be illegal. If you cant follow it in or scratch in another pocket I think jumping it off the table shouldn't be allowed. That's just my 2 cents ~

Some people feel this way. I do not like creating specific rules that are only for a single situation. It complicates the game. The rule that aplies here is any ball off the table is a foul and is penalized. It happens very infrequently and does not need a seperate rule. JMHO:)

youngstown

Verified Member
Yes I believe it’s because of the lack of weight in the top 6 to 8 inches of the shaft, so you just don’t have much behind it. For the same reason a LD shaft might not be best choice for breaking hard.

beatle

Verified Member
at a room long ago one guy had to decide if it was worth breaking a window to jump the cueball off the table. finally he just gave the guy the ball and the game.

Masta Cruz

From
Fresno, CA

Same here, the lower deflection the shaft the harder it is for me to jump a ball off the table as well. i used to get my break cue out to do it if/when its allowed.

i'm using revo now and it is even more difficult than my old 314 FAT shaft.

some funny things have been happening though, recently i won a match trying to jump a ball off the table that was in my opponents pocket, the object ball hit the back of the pocket and came back onto the table bumping the cueball in the process and everything ended up safe with no foul. it was pretty crazy turn of events ended up winning me the game after a few more innings that followed.

other times the cueball did go off the table and the object ball hit the back of the pocket rim and came back out and sold out.

most of the guys i play for money will agree in lieu of attempting to jump a hanging ball off the table and cause turmoil for all nearby, we just go ahead and skip the shot and spot it up with their foul ball and ball in hand behind the line.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
As mentioned already, the weight at the end of the shaft determines deflection, and low deflection cues are very light. I experimented with this a bit making jump cues, and found that there's a curve to the relationship between weight, and the ability to easily jump the cue ball. A little bit of extra weight is good, but more is not. Less weight is definitely bad, and it becomes harder to get the cue ball into the air.
There are other factors to deflection and jumping, but weight is the major one.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Back before I knew better I played in a dingy bar in the heart of the Mission district, San Francisco. So I am getting ready to break and there is a woman drunk at the counter just being Drunk. I told the guy I was playing, Watch This!!!!! I broke, cue ball went high, flying off the table and perfectly knocked over her drink on the counter. One of my best shots ever. LOL

Reactions: lll

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
First of all you are getting old. I mean OLD. Just practice getting your cue ball off, nothing else until it works for you. If you watched any of the Scott, Tony match, Scott fail to execute the shot once.