I nominate "Red Shoes Billiards" as

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I nominate "Red Shoes Billiards"
as the official HOME of the Onepocket & Banks Hall of Fame.

They have been one of the only rooms in the country that keep having Onepocket and Banks tournaments consistently.

In addition to all the present Onepocket and Banks players they have, the Chicago area has been home to this slew of HOF members.

Onepocket:
Bugs, Artie, Minnesota Fats, Billy Incardonna, the Jansco brothers and Efren by proxy.

Banks:
The Beard, Cannonball, Piggy Banks, Bugs and Youngblood.

With more to come in each HOF.

Chicago is also home to Angel Levine who has been pouring her heart and soul into documenting on film this game and characters we all love.

I really can't think of a better place it could be.

If they would agree to be the home of the HOF and they have room we could have Steve Booth make a nice poster of each years class with a photo of each of that years inductees. Smaller ones could also be made to sell to the public. I'm sure there's a very lot of people that would like to have these for their own man caves as well as other pool rooms to hang up.

If you guys think this is a decent idea I'll start out and donate $100 to help make the posters along with an item of "Cornbread Reds" they could display if they want.

I'm sure we can get enough money together to fund this and help kick start selling smaller ones which would help Steve Booth to keep this site going and help with the banquet and whatever.

We have to try and pitch in together to keep this history going or I'm afraid it's going to dwindle away. I know my friends Freddy and Grady would agree and be behind it.

This coming from a Detroit guy too, that hasn't even been to Red Shoes...yet!

What do you guys think?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I love the idea -- but have you talked to Red Shoes about the display space on the walls being available?

The granite plaque that Cowboy Dennis had made of his fantastic poem is on loan and very nicely displayed at Michael's Billiards in Fairfield, OH, so they should get consideration for this as well. He just sent me some pics after I saw him this year at DCC, which are on my phone but I will post here when I can.

I would be happy to contact both to see if they would be interested in committing to the display space. I can definitely assemble the printed photos/posters or whatever they have room for. The New England Pool & Billard HOF has a great display including a restored antique cue rack that has been converted to a display of small plaques, and high walls filled with framed photo displays. Their setup takes a huge amount of space, but smaller would work too, in a lot of different ways.

Thanks for suggesting this Steve, and for your offer to contribute!!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I nominate "Red Shoes Billiards" as

I agree that's a great idea, Steve. I know that Drexeline Billiards by me has tons of displayed posters, etc and I bet they would buy one. Could also be a nice way to promote both the 1p HOF as well as the site.

OldSchool

Verified Member
Unfortunately, it could be the worst timing for this idea. I don't know this for a 100% fact. But from many months ago, friends of mine in Chicago have told me that Red Shoes' long term lease is up this month, and they may work out a new lease, may close, or may move to a new location.

Old School

beatle

Verified Member
the best place is a well done page on a website. here for instance. this way anyone can see it in detail and it can go on for generations if provisions are made for transfer.

in a pool room it is subject to misuse and theft and can disappear along with the pool room. and few will ever go to see it.

and on a web site it has unlimited space.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Banks in Chicago? Banks belong in Kentucky. One pocket belongs to the West Coast at Hard Times in LA. There is no one in Chicago that can beat the line up at Hard Times. Bunch of ego centric fanaticism to think that Chicago is the hub of one pocket. Can you say Bernie, Scott, Fast Lenny in Phoenix just to name a few?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
the best place is a well done page on a website. here for instance. this way anyone can see it in detail and it can go on for generations if provisions are made for transfer.

in a pool room it is subject to misuse and theft and can disappear along with the pool room. and few will ever go to see it.

and on a web site it has unlimited space.

We have that now Beatle, with the exception of the most recent updates. The idea of a physical presence is in addition, and I can definitely speak from having seen the setup at Snookers in RI (for the NE Pool & Billiards HOF) that one is very well appreciated -- but like you say, you have to go there to appreciate it and that is only so many people (but still quite a few).

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I would hope that someone ran this concept past John before throwing this out there...

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Unfortunately, it could be the worst timing for this idea. I don't know this for a 100% fact. But from many months ago, friends of mine in Chicago have told me that Red Shoes' long term lease is up this month, and they may work out a new lease, may close, or may move to a new location.

Old School

Monsignor Lavin is a good friend of mine and while I won't speak for him, from what I know this might not be the right time for a couple of reasons. Having said that, John posts here so I imagine that at some point he will tell us what's up.

Lou Figueroa

ChicagoPlayer1

Well-Known-Member
I nominate "Red Shoes Billiards"
as the official HOME of the Onepocket & Banks Hall of Fame.

They have been one of the only rooms in the country that keep having Onepocket and Banks tournaments consistently.

In addition to all the present Onepocket and Banks players they have, the Chicago area has been home to this slew of HOF members.

Onepocket:
Bugs, Artie, Minnesota Fats, Billy Incardonna, the Jansco brothers and Efren by proxy.

Banks:
The Beard, Cannonball, Piggy Banks, Bugs and Youngblood.

With more to come in each HOF.

Chicago is also home to Angel Levine who has been pouring her heart and soul into documenting on film this game and characters we all love.

I really can't think of a better place it could be.

If they would agree to be the home of the HOF and they have room we could have Steve Booth make a nice poster of each years class with a photo of each of that years inductees. Smaller ones could also be made to sell to the public. I'm sure there's a very lot of people that would like to have these for their own man caves as well as other pool rooms to hang up.

If you guys think this is a decent idea I'll start out and donate $100 to help make the posters along with an item of "Cornbread Reds" they could display if they want.

I'm sure we can get enough money together to fund this and help kick start selling smaller ones which would help Steve Booth to keep this site going and help with the banquet and whatever.

We have to try and pitch in together to keep this history going or I'm afraid it's going to dwindle away. I know my friends Freddy and Grady would agree and be behind it.

This coming from a Detroit guy too, that hasn't even been to Red Shoes...yet!

What do you guys think?

Hi Steve,

First, thank you for the kind words and great moments at Derby.

While Red Shoes has it's prominence, maybe we could be one of the many rooms that are recognized within the One Pocket and Bank Pool community!

I love Drexeline Billiards in Philly,
I love the former Corner Billiards-now Amsterdam in NYC,
and
The Rack (Detroit)
Romine's (Milwaukee)
The Carom Room (Beloit)
Whitey's (Burlington)
Big Dog Billiards (DesMoines)
Randy's Bar and Billiards (Lafayette, IN)
Hall of Fame Billiards (Santa Monica, CA)
Raytown Rec, (Raytown, MO)
Shooter's (Olathe)
The rooms of Atlanta- Marietta Billiards and Mr. Cues
Airway Billiards (Dayton)
Michael's Billiards (Cincinnati)
Bullshooters (Phoenix)
and a dozen or so that I don't know that should be on here.
I know it's never just one room- it's all the rooms that contribute to the game.
Lets unite them!

:D
Drive safe Steve!

-A

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Banks in Chicago? Banks belong in Kentucky. One pocket belongs to the West Coast at Hard Times in LA. There is no one in Chicago that can beat the line up at Hard Times. Bunch of ego centric fanaticism to think that Chicago is the hub of one pocket. Can you say Bernie, Scott, Fast Lenny in Phoenix just to name a few?

You do know they they live 300 miles from hard times. You missed two others in Phoenix.

Red Shoes and Chris's have more players than the whole state of Arizona.

Now, if you want to talk about Hard Times and Santa Monica, that's another story.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Jimmy Bowen lives there too. Check the vid thread

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
You do know they they live 300 miles from hard times. You missed two others in Phoenix.

Red Shoes and Chris's have more players than the whole state of Arizona.

Now, if you want to talk about Hard Times and Santa Monica, that's another story.

Red Shoes may have more players but I doubt they are the caliber of the Phoenix house. If you want numbers, the place I play in Milpitas has five tables full a day of one pocket and more when the Filipinos play.
I was just pointing out that Chicago, is not the hub of one pocket, contrary to the opinion of the Chicago band wagon. I did not include one of my favorite rooms in America, The House of Billiards, for one in Santa Monica, because I play there and I could not possibly be considered a one pocket player. A has been wanna be, maybe.
California Billiards when they were open had more top level one pocket tournaments than any room in the country.
Hopefully when CB's reopens, the World One Pocket tournament would be held.
I mean, this was a comedic thread to begin, n'est pas?:eek:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Well this is good. Seems like there's an interest in it.

Now if people would name the room they think, the Onepocket and Banks tournaments they hold, the HOF players from the area, the amount of regular Onepocket and Banks players they have, like I did, maybe we could narrow the possibilities down.

I have no vested interest in where it's at but think there should be somewhere that it could call home.

In other words, state your case.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Oh contraire mon amie. Bank pool is taught in grade school in Kentucky, and any banks honors belong in Kentucky. Who is the DCC banks champion this year? From where? And who is considered to be the best banker? Where does he live? I mean if we are talking about a popularity contest, more bank pool champions have come from Kentucky than anywhere and it is still played in every room in Kentucky.
If any pool room wants this, they should pay One Pocket. Org for the privilege. Its an attraction, an incentive and it should not just be given away. $2000 a year sounds fair. It goes against every hustling principal not to ask for money for this honor. Give? NO!:sorry

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Well this is good. Seems like there's an interest in it.

Now if people would name the room they think, the Onepocket and Banks tournaments they hold, the HOF players from the area, the amount of regular Onepocket and Banks players they have, like I did, maybe we could narrow the possibilities down.

I have no vested interest in where it's at but think there should be somewhere that it could call home.

In other words, state your case.

Oh contraire mon amie. Bank pool is taught in grade school in Kentucky, and any banks honors belong in Kentucky. Who is the DCC banks champion this year? From where? And who is considered to be the best banker? Where does he live? I mean if we are talking about a popularity contest, more bank pool champions have come from Kentucky than anywhere and it is still played in every room in Kentucky.
If any pool room wants this, they should pay One Pocket. Org for the privilege. Its an attraction, an incentive and it should not just be given away. $2000 a year sounds fair. It goes against every hustling principal not to ask for money for this honor. Give? NO!:sorry

I'm glad you quoted me and didn't say anything regarding the post. Lol

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I'm glad you quoted me and didn't say anything regarding the post. Lol

Gee, I am so sorry. What was I thinking? English isn't my first language as I am from the south and we is ignorant.:frus
"I have no vested.......but there should be somewhere it could call a home"
"In other words state your case.":eek:
And in stating my case: I said a blurb about Kentucky should be HOME of the banks (but then I am produced about Kentucky being the home of the Banks) and I also said that any room interested should pay OP.ORG for the privilege, meaning the privilege of having the HOF in their pool room.
Or it could travel from room to room, year by year with each room supplanting the cost of travel and set up.
I come to OP.ORG to have fun, push ideas, not to argue.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Absolutely......

Absolutely......

.........banks belong to kentucky.1P belongs........I dont know.....thats a good one.But you have to like the feelings we all are coming with.Something good will transpire from this rap.Some people have the United Nations and us backroom outlaws have another nation........but where is home?Thats a good one.........

keoneyo

Verified Member
Red Shoes may have more players but I doubt they are the caliber of the Phoenix house. If you want numbers, the place I play in Milpitas has five tables full a day of one pocket and more when the Filipinos play.
I was just pointing out that Chicago, is not the hub of one pocket, contrary to the opinion of the Chicago band wagon. I did not include one of my favorite rooms in America, The House of Billiards, for one in Santa Monica, because I play there and I could not possibly be considered a one pocket player. A has been wanna be, maybe.
California Billiards when they were open had more top level one pocket tournaments than any room in the country.
Hopefully when CB's reopens, the World One Pocket tournament would be held.
I mean, this was a comedic thread to begin, n'est pas?:eek:

But you always showed class and good sportsmanship whenever you made your appearance at HOB.