I can't be the only one...

TomRoden

Verified Member
I'm going way out on a limb here. I've had debates, some heated, about my theory on banking a ball one rail.
I look at the object ball. If the shadow under the object ball is on the right I use right spin. I aim for the perfect 1/2 ball hit. For some reason, the balls go straight in like they're on a string.
There's a little more to it than that, but that's the basic principal.
I must be abnormal, because I've never met anyone, besides the guy that showed me, that uses this system. Or if they do, they're not talking.
I know many of you are skeptical, but this how I bank single rail shots.
Lets hear some feedback.(besides that I must be crazy).

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I'm going way out on a limb here. I've had debates, some heated, about my theory on banking a ball one rail.
I look at the object ball. If the shadow under the object ball is on the right I use right spin. I aim for the perfect 1/2 ball hit. For some reason, the balls go straight in like they're on a string.
I must be abnormal, because I've never met anyone, besides the guy that showed me, that uses this system. Or if they do, they're not talking.

I've heard others espouse this system. Might help with contact point on the object ball, but there are several other important factors. The Beard's tomes on the subject are all you need.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've never heard of it before. I would imagine you must at least be unconsciously adjusting for thicker and thinner hits while you are at it. I do often use the edge of the object ball as a reference point for aiming, but only when the shot at a glance looks like about a half-ball hit. But I have a couple other reference points too for thicker or thinner than half ball hits.

The english I use on a bank changes completely depending on three things:

1. If I am using english to help cinch the bank
2. If I need english to avoid a kiss
3. If I need english to get the cue ball to go somewhere after the bank

The above is not necessarily always the priority order either -- that varies depending on the game and the shot.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I can't be the only one...

I know a guy who swears by using the reflection from the overhead lights to aim his banks.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I know a guy who swears by using the reflection from the overhead lights to aim his banks.

That's one of the three check points I use, when all 3 systems agree I am very comfortable.
Many,many banks are 1/2 ball hits.(for me) In fact most I shoot are, the I add 1/2, 1,1&1/2 or 2 tips to get to the pocket. These are the one that need stretching. I also use a 1/2 ball hit on a lot of the ones I'm holding.
Rod.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Tom, I'll be interested to look at this. The little more to it must be, how much spin ?
Rod.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Aiming

Aiming

I use 2 different aiming principles in bank pool. 1. if i determine the bank needs one tip of left english, my point of contact on the object ball is the identical point where i strike the cue ball. I also check where the object ball strikes the cushion and adjust the rail contact where the object ball will rebound from the cushion into the pocket. I've been playing pool since 1956.
I began at age 12 on a steady daily basis, I had played around 5-6 years old standing on a coca cola wooden crate to reach the table, but did'nt play regularly till age 12. I have played in all the Derby city classics since 1999. Have finished as high as top 17. Jim