how to shoot this ?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I've had this shot or similar, twice in the last week. I'm never comfortable.
Any suggestions, safety or otherwise.
Rod.

Attachments

• poser.jpg
    poser.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I've had this shot or similar, twice in the last week. I'm never comfortable.
Any suggestions, safety or otherwise.
Rod.

I cut this thin and come right back down. I aim at it almost like I would to make it, but even if I catch it too thin, it probably aint going in cus the speed. That is the best consistent result I have had.

pvclou

Verified Member
Rodney,

I recall Dr. Bill writing about this shot on this forum. Bank the ball one rail back towards the shooter's hole with extreme inside english (9 o'clock). The cueball will go to the end rail and then the right side rail. The english holds the cue ball back up table.

I've tried it a few times and liked it.

Lou

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I take it that your pocket is bottom right. If so, I usually play the shot one rail with top left. The cue ball goes off the short rail to the long rail and then goes over to your side of the table. Good way to go for your hole and control the cue ball.

beatle

Verified Member
if i move better than my opponent i hit it more like tylers shot.

the other way it has to have a lot of other things going for it to try.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The further away the OB is from the center of the head rail, the more problematic it becomes to back-cut the shot with inside; especially with the CB near the shooter's own pocket. To make that much of a back-cut using inside english takes a firm, committed stroke. Otherwise the CB spin won't hold. It's a difficult shot to gauge when it's that much of a back-cut. The main advantage of that type shot is that it holds the CB up near the head rail. But it's also an easy shot if missed to sell out a cross-corner bank.

When the OB is that far over toward the corner, I like the two-railer. It doesn't have to be hit very hard, so the CB doesn't have to travel very hard. From that angle it carries a high likelihood of making, or leaving close to the hole.

There are several safeties. One would simply be to soft roll the CB up to the OB, trying to leave them both parallel to the head rail. Another would be to shoot the two-railer more flush, with the idea to leave the OB in the center of the foot rail. I'm sure y'all will have more...;)

Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I would shoot it with top right 3/4 ball hit on the left side. Speed for middle diamond on foot rail. English holds the qb up top.

Very tricky if froze or close to it, maybe soft roll to hit rt side and leave both ball close to the head rail.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
As close as the OB is to the rail, I'm tempted to head it, 2 rails toward my hole...Looks like that requires about a 1/2 ball hit, no side english, and I feel I can kill the cue ball, enough to stay within a foot of the end rail...I don't see my oppo having much to shoot at, if my speed is decent.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In general I like the inside english cut back bank, but not from this far over and with the cue ball that deep on the other end -- it looks way too tough to hit accurately as this one lies for me. I think it pretty likely that anyone who sets this up and tries it once, will find the cue ball also gets away a lot more than you intend. JMO

The two-railer also looks tough to shoot to make. At this angle, I would not expect the cue to stay that tight to the end rail if the seven is headed toward my hole. It might be best to two-rail it just to the foot rail, not trying to make the ball.

I might cut the 7 over to the right side rail and use top left to position the cue ball towards the left side rail, leaving them parallel across (someone already mentioned this).

I don't like thinning and coming back down -- with my luck I would pocket the 7 in that top right corner and it would come on to the spot and leave a juicy shot. Plus there are other ways to leave either a straight back or a three railer for the opponent.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-05-15_07-09-06.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-05-15_07-09-06.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
In general I like the inside english cut back bank, but not from this far over and with the cue ball that deep on the other end -- it looks way too tough to hit accurately as this one lies for me. I think it pretty likely that anyone who sets this up and tries it once, will find the cue ball also gets away a lot more than you intend. JMO

The two-railer also looks tough to shoot to make. At this angle, I would not expect the cue to stay that tight to the end rail if the seven is headed toward my hole. It might be best to two-rail it just to the foot rail, not trying to make the ball.

I might cut the 7 over to the right side rail and use top left to position the cue ball to the left side rail, leaving them parallel across (someone already mentioned this).

I don't like thinning and coming back down -- with my luck I would pocket the 7 in that top right corner and it would come on to the spot and leave a juicy shot. Plus there are other ways to leave either a straight back or a three railer for the opponent.

Steve the shot you diagrammed is the proper shot... only a complete imbecile would attempt to make the 2 railer from this position

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Reading comprehension skills, STILL lacking, huh ?

Reading comprehension skills, STILL lacking, huh ?

Steve the shot you diagrammed is the proper shot... only a complete imbecile would attempt to make the 2 railer from this position

No, actually that is why YOU would have needed a couple balls from the 'imbecile'..:p :sorry

PS..Key word in my description, is "toward" my hole..Forcing a 'C' player (you) to deal with it, rather than leaving a "gimme" safety..Isn't one pocket still all about 'controlling' the game ? Or has that changed since you became an authority ? LOLROTFLMFAO..:eek:

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
No, actually that is why YOU would have needed a couple balls from the 'imbecile'..:p :sorry

PS..Key word in my description, is "toward" my hole..Forcing a 'C' player (you) to deal with it, rather than leaving a "gimme" safety..Isn't one pocket still all about 'controlling' the game ? Or has that changed since you became an authority ? LOLROTFLMFAO..:eek:

You had more mythical status before you started posting in the WWYD threads.. The more you talk the more you show your ass about WHAT YOU DONT KNOW :lol unfortunately for me you were at your "best":rolleyes: in the 60's it would have been nice to bust a sucker like you... Like Billy you would have been a nice target.. You did better on here when you quiet and drunk( like Otis on the Andy Griffith show):lol:lol:lol You are the town drunk so from now on I will be referring to you as OTIS LMFAO:p

SJDinPHX

Suspended
tsk tsk tsk

tsk tsk tsk

See response @ "Over here Whacker" in Members forum !

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ist try = After the first shot (one rail) my opponent missed but hung the ball and I had to follow it in.
2nd try= After the second try, which I shot hard to prevent an easy crossbank, he got very close but didn't make it but left me tough.

After trying a few answers, I liked Doc's reply about rolling up to the ball and trying to kiss it easily. I only missed the kiss once (10 tries) and left a cut at the pocket.
Thanks for all ideas. :)
Rod.

Attachments

• 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Is the seven too close to the rail to kick it one rail in the direction to your pocket, and sort of kill the cue ball? If it is, then still keep that shot in mind, if the seven is out a fraction more. Scott Frost goes over many kicks that are not obvious in his great instructional dvd which are very handy...

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Is the seven too close to the rail to kick it one rail in the direction to your pocket, and sort of kill the cue ball? If it is, then still keep that shot in mind, if the seven is out a fraction more. Scott Frost goes over many kicks that are not obvious in his great instructional dvd which are very handy...

I saw this one. I do think the illustration shows it too close but if it is another ball width away from the rail, you can do this and stick the cue ball where it is. I've seen Dave Krenzell do this and make it although it is a good shot if you just get close.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I saw this one. I do think the illustration shows it too close but if it is another ball width away from the rail, you can do this and stick the cue ball where it is. I've seen Dave Krenzell do this and make it although it is a good shot if you just get close.

If it were a little further off the rail,(as you said) it would be what we used to call, "a Grady shot" ...He loved that shot, and would often shoot it, sometimes 'at great peril' (risk)...He usually hit it pretty good though. A lot of players do overlook it !

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Ist try = After the first shot (one rail) my opponent missed but hung the ball and I had to follow it in.
2nd try= After the second try, which I shot hard to prevent an easy crossbank, he got very close but didn't make it but left me tough.

After trying a few answers, I liked Doc's reply about rolling up to the ball and trying to kiss it easily. I only missed the kiss once (10 tries) and left a cut at the pocket.
Thanks for all ideas. :)
Rod.

I finally got to a table today to try out the shots. Surprisingly I hung the ball in my pocket when trying the back-cut, inside english bank!

The two-railer is definitely not an option.

Even though I almost made the back-cut bank, I wouldn't shoot it in a serious game. I'd shoot one of the safeties. Two-railing the OB to the foot rail is good, but I had better feel for simply slow rolling the CB up to the OB, leaving them both near the head rail. Cutting the OB towards the pocket is okay too, as long as it doesn't go in the hole...;)

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i tried to find dennis's link for this program for cue table diagrams but coudnt find it
could someone provide the link please
thanks