How is 1P played where you play/watch: Keep shooting or re-rack on a ball made on the break?

How is 1P mostly played in your area when it comes to racking & a ball made on the break?

• Opponent racks, breaker keeps shooting if they make a ball

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Opponent racks, breaker re-breaks if they make a ball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Rack your own", breaker keeps shooting if they make a ball

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • "Rack your own", breaker re-breaks if they make a ball

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Other (please post if you do or see something different!)

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Score and sit down, is an old topic, and I believe it was first brought up by Pilot a good 3 years ago.
But what happens when I sell out the break?

So this is the scenario now;
I made a ball but I am sitting down and watching my opponent run out! That is what is happening!

Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think the Ghost liked "break and sit" also. But how many of you have even played that way much? I am not inclined to use the official rules to offer up new ideas for how players might be interested in playing, especially given that already we have the traditional way, a popular new way and a hybrid between them.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think the Ghost liked "break and sit" also. But how many of you have even played that way much? I am not inclined to use the official rules to offer up new ideas for how players might be interested in playing, especially given that already we have the traditional way, a popular new way and a hybrid between them.
I've never played that way but did mention that may be my 2nd choice after re-rack. Whatever option makes the break defensive and doesn't allow the breaker to make one and keep shooting. On the same line of thinking it would be horrible to break, scratch, then your opponent run out. Its almost like you need to make something where both players' first shot at the table can not yield any score change.

I definitely don't want to create new rules but this topic is quite controversial.

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
I think the ball should stay down and the opponent shoot to save time...

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I've never played that way but did mention that may be my 2nd choice after re-rack. Whatever option makes the break defensive and doesn't allow the breaker to make one and keep shooting. On the same line of thinking it would be horrible to break, scratch, then your opponent run out. Its almost like you need to make something where both players' first shot at the table can not yield any score change.

I definitely don't want to create new rules but this topic is quite controversial.
I agree with an earlier statement from you.......the break is intended to be a defensive shot. So, if, and only if, we were to for some reason to end up endorsing "rack your own" I would prefer the option of simply keeping a made ball and sitting down. To those who would complain that the opponent may benefit and run some balls as a result of this, I would say........you failed to make a good defensive break, period.

unoperro

Verified Member
I do not rig the rack but I am able to pocket a ball on the break fairly often. I play rerack not by choice but because the guy I play most often kick breaks and may make 1 on the break once every 2 years.

As for Whitey and experimenting with the break,move the cueball closer to the long rail😉

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
actually some times it is an offensive shot where you slam the balls and try to make one on the break yet leave him tough with an open table. just because few ever use that out of fear of selling out why remove that option so the better player doesnt let the weaker one get an edge from the break.

any way what hasnt been said, is if the better player happens to be the one that makes a ball he is much more likely to benefit from that than the weaker player. that is obvious.

If the weaker player is gonna rely on smashing the rack in hopes of making a ball and having an open shot to run some balls and upset his opponent, his opponent (the better player) is gonna want to double the bet...lol......that's the real reason he don't do it........

....and I did say "what hasn't been said" in post #13....see below.. :D
I think you are laboring under the impression that making a ball on the break is the only advantage one can get. There's also avoiding a scratch and there is also getting a better spread to your hole.

I know that the most consistency comes with a "tight" rack, don't you agree?

You like to say that luck helps the lesser player, I don't think I agree. The better player is gonna do more damage after making a ball.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I saw Chohan make a ball on the break 8 out of 10 breaks playing a big money match with Danny Smith.

I really don't think he was manipulating the rack or cheating on purpose, but I don't know for sure.

I do know Danny was not a happy camper about it lol

Some tables and ball sets just do some funny things some times for some reason that cause that.

Making ball on the break like that was not the way the game was intended to be played imo

Ball on the break re-rack rule is a good rule imo
I am fairly sure dany was racking for him in that match but that was the first match I ever saw ball on the bread doesn't count in there second set

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I saw Chohan make a ball on the break 8 out of 10 breaks playing a big money match with Danny Smith.

I really don't think he was manipulating the rack or cheating on purpose, but I don't know for sure.

Some tables and ball sets just do some funny things some times for some reason that cause that.

Making ball on the break like that was not the way the game was intended to be played imo

Those two action match races to 5 are what changed the game to rerack with many of the top pros as well as most tournaments adopting the rule. It was brutal and showcased how the new balls and cloth these days make it easier to make a ball on the break. I remember watching it.. I thought it was against Chip though..

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I believe rigging a rack for the purpose of making a ball on the break is far fetched at best, possible advantages might be realized playing on the same equipment day in and day out, but still nearly impossible.
However, I know that rigging the rack regarding the “pop out” “sell out” corner ball is entirely possible, and never selling out that corner ball is huge!
Knowing this is possible, I would of course be forced to check the rack in tournament play and also in money matches of significant value when playing “rack your own rules.”
Since I am of the opinion that what’s fair for one should be fair for all, I like the ball on the break rerack rule, simply because, like Cincy says, the breaks main intention in one pocket is to open up the balls to the breakers advantage and protect ( hide ) as best we can, access to the open balls... Biggest and I suppose most crushing reason I advocate rerack is simply, I do not want to lose a race in a money match, or in a tournament where the match goes hill/hill and my opponent breaks and runs out!
I like rack your own, rerack if you make a ball...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Although the numbers of voters is small
it seems most like the idea if the opponent racks and you make a ball you keep shooting
and
and it seems so far most like
if you rack and make a ball you re-rack
although this is the modern way I accept it although being old-school I think the shooter should still keep shooting
I like the compromise idea of
if you rack your own and make a ball you sit down and keep the ball

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I've lost hill-hill matches at the DCC when the other guy has made a ball on the break, run a bunch, then put me in a death trap -- now, I much prefer the re-rack rule.

So, I'm wondering: is there an area of the country where guys are playing make a ball on the break and sit down?

Lou Figueroa

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think that's a fair way to play.

Breaker sits down after the break no matter what.
That does pass the "fairness" test. Steve suggested that such an unusual rule change would be a stretch for our rules. But it does make sense. Otherwise I like re-rack. If a ball keeps pocketing on the break, the balls could always be racked at the other end of the table to see if that cures the problem.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I've never played that way but the hit and sit seems like a good compromise. I also like rerack, but what i don't like is making a ball while also scratching and rerack.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

About 40 years ago there was a 1P tournament at Bellflower, race to 4, rack for your opponent. I can’t remember who played but it was seven consecutive break and run outs. That must have been some match to watch.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Cecil Tugwell And Cole Dixon
About 40 years ago there was a 1P tournament at Bellflower, race to 4, rack for your opponent. I can’t remember who played but it was seven consecutive break and run outs. That must have been some match to watch.
Cecil Tugwell and Cole Dixon. Cecil won and went on to win the tournament over Efren Reyes. Early 90’s I think. I sweated the match and it was incredible to watch. I don‘t think I played in the tournament because there was so much action on Bertha, the 6 x 12 snooker table.

They had a huge trophy and Efren was pissed because he wanted the trophy.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In Grady's big One Pocket tournament in Portland Maine, in 2000, in the semifinals (which is on Accustats), Alex made a ball 3 out four times beating Parica. Maybe Parica only made a ball on the break 2 out of 4 times lol. It was crazy! That was the same tournament that Corey got into the cash rounds using the 8-ball break, blowing the stack wide open!

edit -- I looked it up and corrected myself

Last edited: