How is 1P played where you play/watch: Keep shooting or re-rack on a ball made on the break?

How is 1P mostly played in your area when it comes to racking & a ball made on the break?

• Opponent racks, breaker keeps shooting if they make a ball

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Opponent racks, breaker re-breaks if they make a ball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Rack your own", breaker keeps shooting if they make a ball

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • "Rack your own", breaker re-breaks if they make a ball

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Other (please post if you do or see something different!)

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
For our rules update, we are trying to get a better feel for how you see One Pocket played in your area, when it comes to racking and a ball made on the break. Traditionally, it used to be the opponent racked and if the breaker made a ball they just kept shooting. Then the game seemed to move to "rack your own", and still if the breaker made a ball, they would keep shooting. In recent years it seems there is more call for re-breaking if the breaker makes a ball on the break. Please help us out in getting a better handle on how the game is played in your area. Thank you!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
It gives better players a huge advantage to take away a ball that was legally pocketed. What other rules are being changed to deny a legally pocketed ball? Quit trying to come up with new rules to suit every nuance in the game. Some things dont need changing. I refuse to play anyone who says I lose a legally pocketed ball. It is kind of ironic that Steve is pushing this rule when he and I play, if you make a ball, its yours. Watch Steve, he is sneaky good.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Over the last few years re-rack for a ball on the break has become the prevailing rule, though it is often brought up at the start of the match for clarification before it becomes an issue.

Lou Figueroa

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
He is sneaky good,yes. For me it is a simple matter of who racks. I am not going to allow someone I am gambling with rack the balls and then keep shooting after they make a ball on the break. I might be convinced to allow a ball made to count if the rule was "break and sit down".

When I rack for my opponent, I expect them to check the rack and that's perfectly acceptable.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
He is sneaky good,yes. For me it is a simple matter of who racks. I am not going to allow someone I am gambling with rack the balls and then keep shooting after they make a ball on the break. I might be convinced to allow a ball made to count if the rule was "break and sit down".

When I rack for my opponent, I expect them to check the rack and that's perfectly acceptable.
Do you know of a ’special’ way to rack the balls so you can make one on the break? Do you play people who you think are cheaters? What you are saying, if someone makes a ball on the break, they know how to rack the balls to make one? I’m putting up hard cash to the person who can teach me that racking procedure.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
One of the main reasons I like the re-rack is because in our game, the break should be a defensive one. You want to push balls toward your hole while playing the CB defensively to not allow your opponent a shot. This is not rotation where you can make balls on the break and run out and string racks together. The opening shot should be one where it is to the breaker's advantage if they lay down a good break and don't scratch. But not so much of an advantage where they can make a ball and continue running balls. IF, I were to pick the next best option, it would be that when a ball is made on the break, the shooter sits down, you spot the ball made and the opponent shoots from there. But I still like the re-rack much better.

One last note on this topic is that the reason I like to rack your own is because if my opponent racks the balls for me, I have to go down to the rack and inspect it. Is it tilted? Are all balls frozen? Is the head ball racked too high? If I am doing all that, why not just make it easier and let me rack my own and be done? Also, by inspecting the rack each time it makes me feel like I am sending a message that I do not trust my opponent. Especially since a lot of my matches are against friends. It just solves many things to rack your own imho.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
What other times when a ball is legally made do you start over again.?
None that i know of. That said, balls are made on the break somewhat regularly and when this happens your goose is cooked more often than not If allowed to keep shooting.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
None that i know of. That said, balls are made on the break somewhat regularly and when this happens your goose is cooked more often than not If allowed to keep shooting.
When you say regularly, what does that mean? 1 in 5? 10, 20. How many times in the same number of games does someone get a lucky kiss, or roll. Do we eliminate those too?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
One time at the DCC Simon and I played with him giving me the breaks. This was when I played better and could make more than one or two. Surprisingly I made a ball on the break maybe 1 every three breaks. I may have won two or those games. We still broke even that night.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One of the main reasons I like the re-rack is because in our game, the break should be a defensive one. You want to push balls toward your hole while playing the CB defensively to not allow your opponent a shot. This is not rotation where you can make balls on the break and run out and string racks together. The opening shot should be one where it is to the breaker's advantage if they lay down a good break and don't scratch. But not so much of an advantage where they can make a ball and continue running balls. IF, I were to pick the next best option, it would be that when a ball is made on the break, the shooter sits down, you spot the ball made and the opponent shoots from there. But I still like the re-rack much better.

One last note on this topic is that the reason I like to rack your own is because if my opponent racks the balls for me, I have to go down to the rack and inspect it. Is it tilted? Are all balls frozen? Is the head ball racked too high? If I am doing all that, why not just make it easier and let me rack my own and be done? Also, by inspecting the rack each time it makes me feel like I am sending a message that I do not trust my opponent. Especially since a lot of my matches are against friends. It just solves many things to rack your own imho.
Well said, my man.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Do you know of a ’special’ way to rack the balls so you can make one on the break? Do you play people who you think are cheaters? What you are saying, if someone makes a ball on the break, they know how to rack the balls to make one? I’m putting up hard cash to the person who can teach me that racking procedure.
I think you are laboring under the impression that making a ball on the break is the only advantage one can get. There's also avoiding a scratch and there is also getting a better spread to your hole.

I know that the most consistency comes with a "tight" rack, don't you agree?

You like to say that luck helps the lesser player, I don't think I agree. The better player is gonna do more damage after making a ball.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
One of the main reasons I like the re-rack is because in our game, the break should be a defensive one. You want to push balls toward your hole while playing the CB defensively to not allow your opponent a shot. This is not rotation where you can make balls on the break and run out and string racks together. The opening shot should be one where it is to the breaker's advantage if they lay down a good break and don't scratch.
I totally agree, CK. I have always said the primary goal of the break is to not scratch, if you scratch you failed..

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Cincy Kid, and this is not against the break you like but just a couple of questions.
1. Why, if you are sitting down does the ball on the break you scored then spot, why spot it? If I am sitting down, I then want that ball.
2. what happens when you score a ball and sit down, spot it, but you sold out the break to your opponent, not good imo. the sitting down that is, when this happens.
Respectfully, Whitey

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think you are laboring under the impression that making a ball on the break is the only advantage one can get. There's also avoiding a scratch and there is also getting a better spread to your hole.

I know that the most consistency comes with a "tight" rack, don't you agree?

You like to say that luck helps the lesser player, I don't think I agree. The better player is gonna do more damage after making a ball.
The discussion is not about those things, it’s about what happens after a legal shot is denied. I say that luck on the break is a lesser players advantage. We are talking about one specific thing.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy Kid, and this is not against the break you like but just a couple of questions.
1. Why, if you are sitting down does the ball on the break you scored then spot, why spot it? If I am sitting down, I then want that ball.
2. what happens when you score a ball and sit down, spot it, but you sold out the break to your opponent, not good imo. the sitting down that is, when this happens.
Respectfully, Whitey
Just to be clear I support the rack your own / re-rack that most people play by today. I was just saying if I had to pick an alternate, it would be that but I really don't like it.