How far from the rail do YOU break from?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Also, what English typically? Inside high? Inside low? Straight inside?

Also, which pocket? (And what handed are you?)

I realize that there are factors which change this scenario but I'm talking about "most of the time under normal conditions".

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Right Handed player

Break from either side (I practice this all the time, players like to switch pockets when one isn't working for them, or yours is working too well for you)

Cue ball along headstring
about 8 inches from the side rail (this position is varies, but it has worked well for me)

inside english, sometimes with a little top.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Breaking

Breaking

I break from 3-5 inches from the side rail. I prefer breaking from the left side so I get the right corner (I'm right handed) but I practice both sides.

I Aim center cue ball for the center of the 2nd ball (this should thin the head ball). I shoot about 1:30 to 2:00 English and a touch harder than a Lag Speed.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Hi,
what would you be adjusting for? Why change where you place the cue ball when you break in one pocket?
Thank you

For myself, sometimes the balls seem to spread different on some tables. It could be the difference in if the balls have been recently cleaned or maybe the rails rebound different. When I say adjust, I am talking about small adjustments to get the CB to where I want it on the table. Does anyone else do this, I don't know, but I would think so.---Smitty

tylerdurden

Verified Member
In general, I'd say new cloth you can get closer to the rail, because the cb slide so far. On old cloth, all things being equal, you'd have to be closer to the center as the high will take it into the dreaded kiss with almost no slide.

I generally start out breaking with my hand just on the table, not far enough over to bridge from the rail. I dont care which side, i usually pick a side in one pocket with some (hopeful) knowledge about which way the table leans. If slow rolling banks are rolling to the middle of the table, that is not the hole you want, and vice versa. I dont have a preference at all as to which side I break better from, and if i did I'd hit em from my uncomfortable side till i was equally comfortable on both sides.

I think the rack, and what certain gaps in the rack do is much more important to learn about than any of this though.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
In general, I'd say new cloth you can get closer to the rail, because the cb slide so far. On old cloth, all things being equal, you'd have to be closer to the center as the high will take it into the dreaded kiss with almost no slide.

I generally start out breaking with my hand just on the table, not far enough over to bridge from the rail. I dont care which side, i usually pick a side in one pocket with some (hopeful) knowledge about which way the table leans. If slow rolling banks are rolling to the middle of the table, that is not the hole you want, and vice versa. I dont have a preference at all as to which side I break better from, and if i did I'd hit em from my uncomfortable side till i was equally comfortable on both sides.

I think the rack, and what certain gaps in the rack do is much more important to learn about than any of this though.

Agreed, also....be sure the corner balls are all frozen. If the head ball has a gap on your opponents side, you could be putting a ball in front of his pocket right off the bat :(

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The looser the rack the better I like breaking'em. I think you rack'em tight for your own protection.
Rod.
P.S. Most don't agree with this. :sorry

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Good/bad cloth and new/old cloth make abig difference and so do fairly clean vs crusty balls.

Shoot righty usually, but break for left pocket usually. Just a habit, from practice.
I watch the rack too. Most aggressive break is closer to rail, high inside.

Fwiw, the high is to minimize deflection. The cueball will be rolling with "follow" anyway if you use correct speed at that distance and speed. Also, the use of top is more consistant from shot to shot, less friction between the ball and table. Friction+spin=curve.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
either side, 1 inch off side rail at string. i hit it firm w/inside ( slight masse)and at most a 1/2 tip of high ball seems to give me what i look for in results.
i should try to break a lil farther out in the table but i feel it has a lil higher risk of hitting it bad ( catch too much head ball) , at least on our tables.
just recently tried doing a masse from the same position into the 3/4 balls and it been mixed results.
how bout it mitch...;)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
How far from the rail do YOU break from?

either side, 1 inch off side rail at string. i hit it firm w/inside ( slight masse)and at most a 1/2 tip of high ball seems to give me what i look for in results.

i should try to break a lil farther out in the table but i feel it has a lil higher risk of hitting it bad ( catch too much head ball) , at least on our tables.

just recently tried doing a masse from the same position into the 3/4 balls and it been mixed results.

how bout it mitch...;)

Is that my buddy Will?

I am a righty and usually break to the right hand pocket. Cue ball about 2 1/2 inches from the rail, with inside a bit below center. I've found that the key to breaking em well (and not selling out lol) is to make sure that I'm holding the cue loosely. Of course this is key on most shots but especially on the break IMO.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Also, what English typically? Inside high? Inside low? Straight inside?

Also, which pocket? (And what handed are you?)

I realize that there are factors which change this scenario but I'm talking about "most of the time under normal conditions".

Thanks.

I gave my concept on breaking, in post #5, in the "Gap" thread..I see there are many here, who differ from my approach, and that's OK..Try them all, and find out what method best fits YOUR game, and work on perfecting it, to the best of your ability.

I will say one thing in defense of using 'straight side spin only' as opposed to using side, AND high English..Striking the cue ball, at 10 or 2 o'clock, will create an unnecessary EXTRA dynamic, as the cue ball is rolling toward your target..That is a simple law of physic's ....Using either 'straight side' (3 o'clock) or 'straight high' (12 o'clock ) will ALWAYS be easier to control, regardless of a player's skill level ;)

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
the break

the break

albeit some monsters of one pocket have replied...but what works best for me is to break at 4 to 5 inches from the rail, point of aim is directly into the second ball. Striking the cue at 10:30, the high and inside English brings the cue into the head ball then curves the cue to miss the rest of the rack. Speed of the break is the same as a lag shot.

The cue does curve slightly into the rack, and after the hit... adjust your speed of the cue with a few practice breaks to get it to park between the 2nd and 3rd diamond preferably within a half inch of the rail...

The best explanation of the break IMHO is by Willie Jopling, also on that DVD he shows the importance of the break and the first shot afterwards...

Have fun...

B