How do you ...

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

Been some discussion about it, but to a noob such as myself, Not much information
about any of it. Would/could someone 'splain 1B1P, please?

hank

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Howdy All;

Been some discussion about it, but to a noob such as myself, Not much information
about any of it. Would/could someone 'splain 1B1P, please?

hank
Simple Hank (& howdy): you start the game with one ball on the table usually placed frozen on the middle diamond on the foot rail. When you break you must play safe. First to make that one ball wins.

You must decide what happens after a scratch: do you add a ball to the table where the person who scratched needs both, while the other still needs one or; you continue to play with only the one ball and the person that scratched would spot it back up after they pocket it.

Other than that it's pretty simple and fun.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Simple Hank (& howdy): you start the game with one ball on the table usually placed frozen on the middle diamond on the foot rail. When you break you must play safe. First to make that one ball wins.

You must decide what happens after a scratch: do you add a ball to the table where the person who scratched needs both, while the other still needs one or; you continue to play with only the one ball and the person that scratched would spot it back up after they pocket it.

Other than that it's pretty simple and fun.
12X12, Howdy;

chuckle, Determine who shoots to which by coin toss or do ya Break Safe towards "your side"?
Lots of room to decide on the scratch, keepin' it friendly is the Key (?), I take it. Looks Interesting
it does.

hank

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
12X12, Howdy;

Just stumbled over it, As long and with all the back and forth between several
posters it get very confusing really quick if you come to it with, like me, an empty
head. Liked your quick an dirty version. Short, sweet and to the point. Yea Baby!

hank

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
12X12, Howdy;

Just stumbled over it, As long and with all the back and forth between several
posters it get very confusing really quick if you come to it with, like me, an empty
head. Liked your quick an dirty version. Short, sweet and to the point. Yea Baby!

hank
Short an sweet 😊

Thanks.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've always liked the simple challenge of One Pocket when it gets down to the last ball on the table. Basically that is what 1B1P is. '

When you are dealing with one ball, being the whole game, every little move is important. If you make a capitalizable mistake (nice made up word there lol), the game is likely over, whereas in a normal game of One Pocket, you might still be able to recover later in the game.

It is also an interesting blend of novel situations where you have to scratch your head and get creative, with repetitive common situations that you have to learn how to deal with in high percentage fashion. But the fact that it is stripped down eliminates a lot of clutter from your choices and your thinking -- in a good way, in my opinion.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hank the Bank,
Not sure OB-OP is the game for you!
I would suggest this alternative, for it is played basically the same but with more balls.

Whitey's Three Ball - OP
*Lag for break. Winner of lag has option to break. The breaker declares their scoring pocket.
*Spot the break ball on the foot rail frozen to center diamond. Spot a ball on the center table spot and spot a ball on the head spot.
*BIH anywhere behind the line to break safe, first player to make two balls is the winner.
*Any scratch or foul is a ball given to the opponent. If the player has no ball to give, then a ball furthest from the scoring pockets is taken from the table and given to the opponent. Exception: this does not apply to the opponent's game winning ball, and that ball is owed to the table.
*Note: can be played with 5 balls by adding a ball to the foot spot and to the head rail center diamond. First player to make 3 balls is the winner.
---------
Hank, I believe this game will give you more of an end game experience. It will offer more bank selections, and mentally challenge you to now play safe in regard to more balls on the table.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qSMgFDaj4qQpXRWy9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XFDNA3vP68zExrgKA this is my favorite way to play vs. 5 ball OP, quicker.

These games transpired out of working with Steve on OB-OP and how to handicap it. I suggested these added ball positions, but it did not go anywhere, and we were in the middle of the official rules anyway. But I took a longer look at it and realized that this is a good end game or practice.

For those that think they could handicap a player in OB-OP, then place a 2nd ball in the center of the table, and then go to two, your opponent to one. Decide on the break - to handicap it by giving it up, or not by alternating.
enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tpUjc68qSKecmQz56
Hank, this would work nice on your 8 ft. table, as would a 10-ball rack.
On any scratch or foul a ball is given to the opponent, if the player does not have a ball to give then take the ball furthest from the scoring pockets. This does not apply when the player is on their game winning ball, then the ball is owed to the table.
Three balls past center table, then spot up the ball furthest from the scoring pockets.

Since you guys are 8-ball and 9-ball players then this speeded up OP game just might work for you to get someone at where you play to play you some OP. Give them a spot and let them win some!
Whitey

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Whitey, I notice that your poolroom is kind of a mess. I bet there is some interesting stuff in there. I'm not suggesting that you straighten it up, just that you might tell us a bit about it. Might draw a crowd. :rolleyes:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, I notice that your poolroom is kind of a mess. I bet there is some interesting stuff in there. I'm not suggesting that you straighten it up, just that you might tell us a bit about it. Might draw a crowd. :rolleyes:
I know, but really do not want to talk about it, except my wife calls it junk, it's not, but at the end of next week, when I finish some projects, I am going to take on some spring cleaning. I've been way to busy lately to do that.
Whitey

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Thanks for the variations of the theme. Always more interesting with the various
ways to change it up.
Yea, 😞, stuck playin' 8/9 ball. Truly if the opportunity were there, I'd rather play
14.1 (Straight). Alas, the bigger tables are distant and the time to play is limited
in that I need to drive home before the critters take to the hiways. chucklin' I've
racked 10 balls to unclutter a bar box and play 10.1 so to speak. Helps to keep
my hand in. 😉

I'll try a few of your suggestions before the 8-ball tourney at the VFW.

hank

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I know, but really do not want to talk about it, except my wife calls it junk, it's not, but at the end of next week, when I finish some projects, I am going to take on some spring cleaning. I've been way to busy lately to do that.
Whitey
One mans junk is another mans treasure. I was never lucky at finding treasures at yard sales, pawn shops etc. Ohio seems to be about as bad as it gets to buy stuff being resold, old cars are ridiculous , never any billiard stuff except for goofy money.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Back in the mid 90's We went to a, 'Yard sale'. Myself I'm not much for them, but, I went anyway. Looking around, I spot a bunch of old framed artwork off to the side. It was a simple piece of like a Childs crayon drawing of hands holding a bunch of flowers. The ugly frame was obscuring the signature & info, but, my wife liked it for our Daughter's room. It was marked for $5, they settled for $3. We took it home, removed the frame, and low & behold the artist name appeared, in pencil, 'Picaso' and the number of the print of#.

Long story, short, It was worth $3,500! When we moved to FL. I sold it to a fellow 3C player for that price.

Picaso-97.jpg

Last edited: