How do you run these?

unoperro

Verified Member
Opponent scratched. You have the pocket where the 1 ball is ?received_428005572712544.jpeg

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
5--6, then cut the 1 in and come into the stack contacting the 15/13, then the cue ball comes up table for the 2. Then work what opened up to run 8.
You can also cut the 1 in and go two rails into the lower part of the stack and spin out, and hopefully get a shot.
thanks for the thread!
Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
I am definitely going 5 to the 6.
How I land on the 6 determines if go to the 1 or take the 2 then the 1.
I want to be able to bank the 3 and clear the 4 after the 6. I believe at pocket speed the 4 leaves a 1 or 2 rail bank that is very safe to play.
Those balls in the stack are all loose and hitting them coming off the 1 probably pushes more towards my opponents side.

I just don't think I can run 8 from here so I want to take what is out there.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
ONE FIRST. Then depends on how I land on next ball but like 1-5-6-2. Go to the bottom and bank 3 ball and bump out 4. If I Make 3 I then stack him and develop a new ball near my hole.

I like taking the 1 out so if I have to abandon the run I can lay the cue ball on the bottom and not have to worry about opponent banking One back at his hole.

Reactions: lll

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
ONE FIRST. Then depends on how I land on next ball but like 1-5-6-2. Go to the bottom and bank 3 ball and bump out 4. If I Make 3 I then stack him and develop a new ball near my hole.

I like taking the 1 out so if I have to abandon the run I can lay the cue ball on the bottom and not have to worry about opponent banking One back at his hole.

The first four onepocket.org members replied to this post that they would start their run by shooting the 5-ball. The fifth onepocket.org member (Nick B) replied that he would start his run by shooting the 1-ball and then proceed to the 5-ball.

Depending on how straight I'm shooting, depending on how tight the pockets are on the table, and depending how confident I am in pocketing the 5-ball, I would entertain the thought of slow rolling the 6-ball to my pocket and allowing the cue ball to drift to the back rail (closer to my opponent's pocket) thereby allowing me to have a backwards cut on the 3-ball. I would then bank the 3-ball to my pocket while moving the 4-ball away from my opponent's pocket. Exactly where my cue ball stops after back cutting the 3-ball depends on the speed I strike the cue ball.

*Note: My thought process prior to picking this shot selection beholds that the 1-ball closest to my pocket is frozen to the rail. Had the 1-ball been off the rail by more than a quarter inch, I would not slow roll the 6-ball to my pocket but would begin my run by shooting the 1-ball, but unlike "Nick B," I would try to position my cue ball to the back rail that would allow me to have a backwards cut on the 3-ball.

*Note: If I miss pocketing the 6-ball, it should be very close to my pocket if not in the jaws, and thereby probably would not be a banking option for my opponent. The same would apply for the 1-ball. It would not be a viable banking option for my opponent because of its location near my pocket and it's frozen to the rail.

unoperro

Verified Member
This table is tight and plays even tighter. I didn't post that originally as I wanted posters to play like they would normally play.
The 1 ball is frozen.
All 5,6,2 can be shot in either corner.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Let me qualify why I like the ONE first. Assuming it's stuck on the rail at times they can be harder to deal with for position. With BIH I can "pick" my angle and would go inside 3-rails and up for the balls. In the event I come up short (not planning on this) I can opt-out and cross the THREE with a little inside to come back and punch away the FOUR and thus having a fall back plan.

We all tend to gravitate to our strengths. For me the 3-Rail inside shot is one of my go-to choices. All in all sticking the FIVE can and would work. I just rather take the ONE out early. As a side note if you remove the ONE and you get funny behind the balls you now have a clear banking lane for up and down.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
play the 1 ...bank the 3(and kick out the 4).... and try to bring the cue to center table and play on

slim123

5-2-1-6- (bank or play safe)
the one leaving the cue ball low as possible then bank the three move the four in the same shot then shoot the 6 then depending on which one you get the better angle on then look to see where the 4 is should be anice sweet bank shot you should tally 5 balls

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I am running the balls that are open by first taking the furthest ball from my pocket, so I can stay above the balls. I do not want to work my way back to try to once again get above the balls. Does this make sense?
Therefore 5, 2, 6, 1, 3. these are the balls that are open that can be run.
Whitey

slim123

I am running the balls that are open by first taking the furthest ball from my pocket, so I can stay above the balls. I do not want to work my way back to try to once again get above the balls. Does this make sense?
Therefore 5, 2, 6, 1, 3. these are the balls that are open that can be run.
Whitey
yes, we all play different strategies,different techniques, talents, methodologies. and particular shots we are more comfortable with. I'm sure there are dozens of ways to play this, however none of them works for the next guy, he has his own
My method was to play all out offense and defense at the same time, if you miss one of those balls on the top you may give up the game or never get this opportunity to be in full control
In this game it only takes one mistake to sell out.
If we all thought alike and everything the same we would all be robots, and no one could win, lmfao

slim123

if we ever meet i'd enjoy playing you some , i don't want your money, we would have a good time, however Tony told me if i don't take your money i wasted my time playing you win or lose

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Slim, there is a half dozen other respected members that also stated they would start with the 5. So you have a long line of players to play, if it is based on taking the 5 first.

thanks, unopero for the exercise, bring on some more. I like it with more balls open, though!
Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
Slim, there is a half dozen other respected members that also stated they would start with the 5. So you have a long line of players to play, if it is based on taking the 5 first.

thanks, unopero for the exercise, bring on some more. I like it with more balls open, though!
Whitey
Thanks Whitey. Problem with these pictures is camera distortion and needing to post multiple pics to show which balls pass. Then with pictures from multiple angles , some other positions look funny. In a couple days I will post another wwyd only this time there are fewer open balls. Sorry.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
This would really depend if this was the first hour of a sesion or the 15th. The first I am probably shooting the balls out fo the center and insureing I get the most out of the inning. in the late hours I am definattly taing the one first and than the middle balls and focusing on getting a strong lock with a ball near my hole to end the inning as the main thing is to maintain max pressure at that point not miss a ball because i am tired