House of Billiards - Santa Monica Ca

baby huey

Verified Member
I just learned that the HOB in Santa Monica will NOT be opening its doors when the Covid Shutdown is lifted. It was a great One Pocket Room for many years. Its been open continously since about 1963. It was the home room for Wayne Pullen and Ritchie Griener.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Sorry to hear this! I'll give Keone a call a little later to see if he has some detailed info, since it's been his home room forever.

beatle

Verified Member
thats too bad. but for a pool room to do well in this new age you must have other things to bring in customers and money other than pool table time. which now needs to be a minor part of your profits. if you cant adapt to that you are doomed to a slow death.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
So sorry to hear this. It was a great one pocket room and had some 3-cushion tables as well. Dam CoViD - grrrr

Mr. Huey, what are your plans for your room? I hope you will be OK.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Just got off the phone with Keone, (Mr Woo). He says it's still up in the air officially. He said he heard someone purchased the entire block where SMB is, who knows?

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
The problem is location, of course. HoB has the footprint of about 10 townhouses each worth a million. It's hard to justify a pool hall on that land. A similar thing happened to the second California Billiards location in Mountain View, which turned into luxury apartments/medium term rentals.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
The end of an era. Watching those golf games on the snooker table during the early 80's was quite an education for a young player.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I just learned that the HOB in Santa Monica will NOT be opening its doors when the Covid Shutdown is lifted. It was a great One Pocket Room for many years. Its been open continously since about 1963. It was the home room for Wayne Pullen and Ritchie Griener.

Well, that's sad.

Lou Figueroa

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I love HOB. The first time I walked in I got a decent game with Wayne. Then others. I found my place in the pecking order the proper way of course but never did I feel any game was out of line. Biggest problem I had was the drive back to where I stayed in Monterey Park. An hours drive with no traffic. Let’s see what happens when the plague is over if ever.