HOPE ALL OUR FLORIDA MEMBERS ARE SAFE

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hopefully you’re in charge of our insurance. 🙂

Remember we’re part of the same one pocket brotherhood. 😉

I think we had decent insurance but who decides that? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Plus insurance companies usually try to “make” money just like any other business and the way to do that is “don’t pay”. 😬

It will be a stressful road I’m sure.

That would be ideal, cut a check do what we need to do.
I am trying to put a positive spin on a terrible situation since i thought you could use some positive re assurance 😀
the journey will be stressful i am sure
i hope all goes well for you and your insurance company doesnt try to screw you
i was fortunate i had great insurance when hurricane andrew hit miami
i had chubb
they came and surveyed the damage and cut a check without alot of haggling

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Rebuilding and repair costs are at all time highs, and shortages of both materials and skilled labor. Unfortunately for Steve, that is going to compound things.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I think we had decent insurance but who decides that? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Plus insurance companies usually try to “make” money just like any other business and the way to do that is “don’t pay”. 😬

When Katrina wiped us out the insurance called me and said “we’re giving maximum value on your coverage. Where would you like the check sent”. That was it, all done. Unfortunately we were underinsured😢

Hope all goes well for you.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I am trying to put a positive spin on a terrible situation since i thought you could use some positive re assurance 😀
the journey will be stressful i am sure
i hope all goes well for you and your insurance company doesnt try to screw you
i was fortunate i had great insurance when hurricane andrew hit miami
i had chubb
they came and surveyed the damage and cut a check without alot of haggling
Trust me I understand and thanks.

Don’t forget, each hurricane more insurance companies leave the State or going belly up.

Insurance gets more and more expensive here because of that and the building codes that get upgraded after each one.

Here’s a little example:
They won’t insure you if your roof is more than 5-10 years old.
We wanted to put a metal roof on and some won’t insure you because of that.
Even though its better the replacement cost is way more than shingles so they don’t want to deal with that.

We went with shingles and some upgrades. Thankfully the roof didn’t sustain much damage but there’s a lot of homes that significant potions of the roof blew off…and too many where the whole roof is gone. 😬

That Grady Seasons guy summed it up: It’s like a nightmare isn’t it? It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Hope you’re doing well yourself. 👍🏻

Reactions: lll

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
When Katrina wiped us out the insurance called me and said “we’re giving maximum value on your coverage. Where would you like the check sent”. That was it, all done. Unfortunately we were underinsured😢

Hope all goes well for you.
Hey Jim.

Unfortunately they learn from their mistakes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe Cliff will let me hold a hundred. 😆

I still have my little black money book from the Club and the Pool Room. I wonder if I can get 10 cents on the dollar. There are a lot of Champions names in there too. 🤷🏻‍♂️😉

👍🏻

GoldCrown

Verified Member

Insurance companies are not our best friends but we need them. Do you have law/ordnance coverage.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

There are adjusting companies out there that will look at your settlement offer and take the case on for a percentage of the extra money they get you if they feel the offer is too low.

Something to think of. These guys know the policy backwards and forwards and do not let the insurance company get away with much.

Reactions: lll

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey Jim.

Unfortunately they learn from their mistakes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe Cliff will let me hold a hundred. 😆

I still have my little black money book from the Club and the Pool Room. I wonder if I can get 10 cents on the dollar. There are a lot of Champions names in there too. 🤷🏻‍♂️😉

👍🏻
I’ve got a little black book also but it ain’t worth the dollar signs in it🤣

Ida hit us last year and we lost part of the roof. Insurance did us right again even when our decking needed replacement. Contractor gave us a free upgrade to 160mph shingles. All went pretty well. Good luck for us but plenty others, not so much.

Two months later we get a notice that the insurance company will no longer be providing insurance and we’d have to look elsewhere😝

Crap, that’s life in the south

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I’ve got a little black book also but it ain’t worth the dollar signs in it🤣

Ida hit us last year and we lost part of the roof. Insurance did us right again even when our decking needed replacement. Contractor gave us a free upgrade to 160mph shingles. All went pretty well. Good luck for us but plenty others, not so much.

Two months later we get a notice that the insurance company will no longer be providing insurance and we’d have to look elsewhere😝

Crap, that’s life in the south
Yep. That’s what I was talking about.

I didn’t know you not only “lost” to players to give them a bankroll…you lend/give it out also!!

Damn bro, you’re a trick too. Welcome to the club brother. ❤️😆

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I have been thru a few hurricanes and the aftermath, and sometimes the insurance companies will fool you. I have seen adjusters go thru a neighborhood with a wide-open checkbook, taking a quick look and then passing out money and moving on to the next. It's as serious for them as for the victims. I'm sure there is some kind of maximum for this kind of settlement, but find out what it is before you decide you're being a victim here, also.

When Katrina left New Orleans, a mountain of still-good furniture and appliances could be had along the curbs in the residential areas. Insurance companies were paying for it, often with no argument. It might be such a special time now in parts of Florida. Here's hoping.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Some pictures of my house.
The front from one corner then the other.
The carport.

Attachments

• 05E1C18B-5FA3-4BE3-9589-E4DCC3E7C84D.jpeg
    05E1C18B-5FA3-4BE3-9589-E4DCC3E7C84D.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 17
  • 864812BE-3522-4B3C-B580-46A00CA4CC75.jpeg
    864812BE-3522-4B3C-B580-46A00CA4CC75.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 1187F862-95B9-4AF9-BF6E-178B077ADFFF.jpeg
    1187F862-95B9-4AF9-BF6E-178B077ADFFF.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
The backyard.
From one corner then the other.
Then looking at the back of the house (doesn’t look bad).

The wind was coming front to back.

The platform that all the fence panels are on, used to have a nice shed on it.

Attachments

• 7BF2D694-DC47-4225-8A60-75254D6219E3.jpeg
    7BF2D694-DC47-4225-8A60-75254D6219E3.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 2429A379-DDEA-4F28-9E14-B0941066D11D.jpeg
    2429A379-DDEA-4F28-9E14-B0941066D11D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 4E685DBB-577B-419D-99CE-FD444C14EE4D.jpeg
    4E685DBB-577B-419D-99CE-FD444C14EE4D.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
The house on the street behind us. You’ll have to zoom in. The house is between the two in the front of the photo.

The wind was going front to back and lifted their entire roof off.

The green house is right behind us and the wood is their lanai roof that flipped over onto their roof.

Attachments

• 056E7F71-620F-4481-9E67-085706C39223.jpeg
    056E7F71-620F-4481-9E67-085706C39223.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Been busting ass cleaning up so it looks pretty good right now.

Got everything that was wet inside the house…you have to try and stop mold damage.

Here’s a tip we knew a long time ago:

For mold, don’t use bleach…use distilled white vinegar.

Bleach causes mold to go backward in porous materials such as wood, drywall etc. so it doesn’t kill all of it.

White vinegar kills it. You’ll see if foam up a little when you spray it on.

I’m tired.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... Here’s a little example:
They won’t insure you if your roof is more than 5-10 years old.
We wanted to put a metal roof on and some won’t insure you because of that.
Even though its better the replacement cost is way more than shingles so they don’t want to deal with that.

We went with shingles and some upgrades. Thankfully the roof didn’t sustain much damage but there’s a lot of homes that significant potions of the roof blew off…and too many where the whole roof is gone. 😬 ...
It's almost a certainty that insurers will stop writing wind and flood insurance in your area because of Ian. Therefore if you get the chance screw down a metal roof right on top of what you have now. They won't be covering wind insurance anyway now.

After Katrina, we got well paid for the shingles lost on the roof, along with other damage. Instead I put a metal roof right on top of the old roof with long screws-- not nails. That baby is never going to blow off, and it gives better insulation.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It's almost a certainty that insurers will stop writing wind and flood insurance in your area because of Ian. Therefore if you get the chance screw down a metal roof right on top of what you have now. They won't be covering wind insurance anyway now.

After Katrina, we got well paid for the shingles lost on the roof, along with other damage. Instead I put a metal roof right on top of the old roof with long screws-- not nails. That baby is never going to blow off, and it gives better insulation.
Some of the new houses get metal rods that are anchored from the slab to the roof in a bunch of places. If that roof comes it was the Russians🤣