HOPE ALL OUR FLORIDA MEMBERS ARE SAFE

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
We live on the Englewood and Port Charlotte border.

It was a fuggin disaster and that’s putting it lightly.

We lost everything. The house is a total loss and who knows how bad we’ll get screwed after the contractor and lawyer get done with what we get from the insurance company.

Had a brand new up to code roof put on a year ago and even added upgrades to it.

It pretty much held up but the wind blew out almost everyone’s soffits and then created depressurization and sucked down the ceilings in houses.

That’s what happened with us and when that happens the rain get sucked up in that vacuum and gets in the house even if windows don’t get broke.

We left and went to North Carolina. The neighbors across the street stayed 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ and said they saw my minivan that was in the carport get lifted off the ground a few times and slammed back down. There we big pieces of plywood and metal panels from who knows when under my tires. 😱 Which shows the force of the winds. They think we had a tornado go down the street but who knows. The winds for 8 hours devastated all of us.

Even as bad as it is for us…too many have it even worse.

We’ve already helped a few young families in the neighborhood with kids that lost everything. It’s heartbreaking.

I’m praying for everyone. 😥
Wow -- that is terrible Steve!

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN

We lost everything. The house is a total loss and who knows how bad we’ll get screwed after the contractor and lawyer get done with what we get from the insurance company.

Had a brand new up to code roof put on a year ago and even added upgrades to it.

It pretty much held up but the wind blew out almost everyone’s soffits and then created depressurization and sucked down the ceilings in houses.

That’s what happened with us and when that happens the rain get sucked up in that vacuum and gets in the house even if windows don’t get broke.

We left and went to North Carolina. The neighbors across the street stayed 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ and said they saw my minivan that was in the carport get lifted off the ground a few times and slammed back down. There we big pieces of plywood and metal panels from who knows when under my tires. 😱 Which shows the force of the winds. They think we had a tornado go down the street but who knows. The winds for 8 hours devastated all of us.

We’ve already helped a few young families in the neighborhood with kids that lost everything. It’s heartbreaking.

Glad you guys are ok Steve. The material items can be replaced and your doing a great thing helping some of the younger families.

My parents house in Venice ate Pelican Pointe got some minor damage. Soffit ripped off the garage and a bunch of water in there but nothing in the house, so they got away without anything major. They were at their lake house in Wisconsin and are flying home Monday. A bunch of their neighbors lost windows, trees and a bunch of the lanais are destroyed.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Yes, we in this part of Delray are fine. Reports of tornados in this immediate area kept flashing on the news but the only report of a hit was at King's Point which is about one mile as the duck flies. We have a lot of ducks around here but not many crows. (Sorry if the humor is out of place.)
One from our pool player community was hit by that tornado which was just spoken of, He lost everything but escaped physical harm.. Two members of that development were injured and had to go to the hospital. From what I've heard, none of those injuries were life threatening. thank God.
No so for you to the west. So far 87 reported deaths and that count is likely to rise. One is too many.
We on the east coast were spared at the expense of those of you to the west. It could easily been the other way around. and maybe with the next one it will be us. Who the hell knows. I for one do not feel blessed to have been spared. I only feel great sadness for those of you who were not. Our whole nation should and I believe do feel we have an opportunity to come to your aid in all ways possible. I assume the Biden administration has allocated serious funds to this end and I hope, as we all do, those funds reach the needy quickly.
Steve Booth, in the meantime, Is there anything we as members of the OP.org family can do to help Steve and his family?

Steve, it is good to know that you and your family were at least safe from physical harm.
God bless,

Tom

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Hey Steve, sorry for the horrific situation for You and family and ALL in the hardest hit areas!

We were Extremely lucky in Cocoa Beach to dodge the bullet.
I've a brother that works at the Marriot by the ship terminal, just referred to it as "a little wind, a little rain".
But then he is a master of understatement.

hank

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I've a brother that works at the Marriot by the ship terminal, just referred to it as "a little wind, a little rain".
But then he is a master of understatement.

hank
He most likely works in Cape Canaveral at , Port Canaveral. All the cruise ships run out of there in Central FL.
Since I moved here in 2004, the Port has tripled in size.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... We lost everything. The house is a total loss and who knows how bad we’ll get screwed after the contractor and lawyer get done with what we get from the insurance company.
Good God, Steve! I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your home. I didn't realize you lived in that area-- thought you still lived in Detroit. Port Charlotte area must have gotten a direct hit.

I hope your insurance company treats you right. After Katrina ours was very generous. But we didn't lose the whole shebang. Fingers crossed for you, my friend! ~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Good God, Steve! I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your home. I didn't realize you lived in that area-- thought you still lived in Detroit. Port Charlotte area must have gotten a direct hit.

I hope your insurance company treats you right. After Katrina ours was very generous. But we didn't lose the whole shebang. Fingers crossed for you, my friend! ~Doc

They did, Doc.. Someone had a cam set up there and I was watching it and talking to a girl in the chat. I joined late and after about 15 min, it calmed down and I said it looks like it's over for them, thank God. She replied 'They're in the eye, you idiot. They're about to get the dirty side in a few min.''' Boy, did they ever. I got scared as hell, just thinking about us being in the cone, but Ian stayed east.. Brutal..

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

horrible news. didn't know you were down in FLA (just assumed you were still in detroit area).

hope things work out for you as good as possible. probably seems like empty words.....but, hang in there....

☹️

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Yes, we in this part of Delray are fine. Reports of tornados in this immediate area kept flashing on the news but the only report of a hit was at King's Point which is about one mile as the duck flies. We have a lot of ducks around here but not many crows. (Sorry if the humor is out of place.)
One from our pool player community was hit by that tornado which was just spoken of, He lost everything but escaped physical harm.. Two members of that development were injured and had to go to the hospital. From what I've heard, none of those injuries were life threatening. thank God.
No so for you to the west. So far 87 reported deaths and that count is likely to rise. One is too many.
We on the east coast were spared at the expense of those of you to the west. It could easily been the other way around. and maybe with the next one it will be us. Who the hell knows. I for one do not feel blessed to have been spared. I only feel great sadness for those of you who were not. Our whole nation should and I believe do feel we have an opportunity to come to your aid in all ways possible. I assume the Biden administration has allocated serious funds to this end and I hope, as we all do, those funds reach the needy quickly.
Steve Booth, in the meantime, Is there anything we as members of the OP.org family can do to help Steve and his family?

Steve, it is good to know that you and your family were at least safe from physical harm.
God bless,

Tom

glad you ducked it. hope you are well.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I’m already tired tomorrow.

The windshield and headlight were smashed on my minivan along with some suspension damage I think from the wind/tornado lift it up and dropping it back down. It just didn’t seem right driving it but keeping my fingers crossed I can make it to my sons in Kansas when we get done here.

Hopefully the glass shop comes tomorrow to replace the windshield.

I took a ride about 5pm down McCall, need a front turn signal bulb from the headlight being busted out from whatever hit it.

Nothing open in Englewood yet and it looks worse and worse the more that gets cleaned up. I think it’s when you see the stuff that’s being put by the street it sinks in even more about how much devastation there is.

I’ve got the living room to clean out still and add to the pile at the street. 😵💫

I’m not looking for sympathy by writing all this…I think I just need to get it out a little bit by writing. I don’t know. 🤷🏻‍♂️ We’re just going to take it day by day.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
We can pitch in and raise money. I'd be happy to kick off with 100 donation. Steve Lomako, what is your paypal? Friends and family coming your way.

Edit -- maybe better yet, how about a GoFundMe? Steve Lomako, would you be on board, and who sets those up? I've donated but not ever set one up before.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Steve Booth
Edit -- maybe better yet, how about a GoFundMe? Steve Lomako, would you be on board, and who sets those up? I've donated but not ever set one up before.

Steve, I like the idea of a gofundme for Steve L. and his family. I have no idea of how to set one up either but if Steve says yes to the idea, I'm on board with you and my $100.00 donation to help kick things off.

Tom

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Steve Booth

Steve, I like the idea of a gofundme for Steve L. and his family. I have no idea of how to set one up either but if Steve says yes to the idea, I'm on board with you and my $100.00 donation to help kick things off.

Tom
I appreciate this but I would have to think about it.

Thanks

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Here’s a good map of the path.

We are the blue dash above Rotunda West.

We were battered for 8 hours with no relief. At least we were on the good side of the rotation. 🙄

On the right side of the yellow line is what they call the “dirty side”. The most intense.

Attachments

• C5F0C6B9-5B3D-4270-AE7C-5D2D9A31980C.jpeg
    C5F0C6B9-5B3D-4270-AE7C-5D2D9A31980C.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 10

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Assuming you had decent insurance
The insurance has to declare you a total loss
So you will get your replacement cost check and can rebuild or sell the property as is
You should be ok
Jmho

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Assuming you had decent insurance
The insurance has to declare you a total loss
So you will get your replacement cost check and can rebuild or sell the property as is
Ypu should be ok
Jmho
Hopefully you’re in charge of our insurance. 🙂

Remember we’re part of the same one pocket brotherhood. 😉

I think we had decent insurance but who decides that? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Plus insurance companies usually try to “make” money just like any other business and the way to do that is “don’t pay”. 😬

It will be a stressful road I’m sure.

That would be ideal, cut a check do what we need to do.