High Stakes One Pocket Tournament-$10,000 Added-5,000 Entry-September 15-18th Action Palace in Dayton, Ohio.

AtLarge

Alex just “marked the table” with his chalk (on the rail) — meaning he pointed to where he wanted to leave the cue ball, then put his chalk there, and then rolled the cue ball there and picked up his chalk. I always thought that was a foul by standard rules. But Roberto would probably consider it a nitty foul even if he realized it lol. I just quick looked at the WPA rules and didn’t see it though.
Yes, "marking the table" is one of the listed items under 6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct in the WPA rules. The penalty is to be determined by the referee.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I just quick looked at the WPA rules and didn’t see it though.
My impression has been that using an object or mark for aiming was verbotten, but I don't think I would call what Alex was doing aiming. Plotting, calcuating, self-reminding, check; but I wouldn't argue the point because at best it's a close call.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
AtLarge stats:

"
High runs
12-and-out -- once, by Pagulayan (Match 3)
10 (not out) -- once, by Pagulayan (Match 5)
9-and-out -- 3 times: 2 by Pagulayan (Matches 3 and 6) and 1 by Gomez (Match 6)
8-and-out -- 15 times: 9 by Pagulayan, 3 by Chohan, and 1 each by Lunda, Gomez, and Morra"

Wow!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Alex just “marked the table” with his chalk (on the rail) — meaning he pointed to where he wanted to leave the cue ball, then put his chalk there, and then rolled the cue ball there and picked up his chalk. I always thought that was a foul by standard rules. But Roberto would probably consider it a nitty foul even if he realized it lol. I just quick looked at the WPA rules and didn’t see it though.
This is one of the reasons why 3C players Always pick up the chalk after their inning. You can Not use any foreign object to align/aim/calculate an aiming or arrival point marked on the cushion/rail to assist the player.

I see many 'pool' players think they are being smart when they are trying to calculate a, 'across corner' kick. They take the cue and try to divide the angle by taking the cue with the tip and touching the cushion with the chalked tip to aid in aiming at that point. Some of them must have a short attention span!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Where does this put Roberto now on money leaders? He wins the last two events; Texas Open and High Stakes One Pocket. Do we consider the high stakes since it is the first year?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Where does this put Roberto now on money leaders? He wins the last two events; Texas Open and High Stakes One Pocket. Do we consider the high stakes since it is the first year?
i would include it as it was open to the first 8 to post and had the major players in it
jmho

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
dont know if anyone saw this but prior to the first set with roberto and alex
roberto and alex played scotch doubles where roberto broke alex shot first with ball in hand and they shot alternately to run all 15 balls in one pocket 😱 😱 😱 😱
i couldnt believe they were about to fight for the win and here they were buddy buddy as relaxed as could be
their attitude changed once the match started
although at one point roberto got a tremdous lucky roll and they both were laughing about it

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was just going to say I'd like to see a challenge match of gomez vs Fedor or gomez vs filler....

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is one of the reasons why 3C players Always pick up the chalk after their inning. You can Not use any foreign object to align/aim/calculate an aiming or arrival point marked on the cushion/rail to assist the player. I see many 'pool' players think they are being smart when they are trying to calculate a, 'across corner' kick. They take the cue and try to divide the angle by taking the cue with the tip and touching the cushion with the chalked tip to aid in aiming at that point. Some of them must have a short attention span!
These guys were each using their own personal chalk and they were picking it up at the end of their inning, just like you are talking about. He just appeared to utilize a calculated placement of his own chalk for that particular shot. That’s what it looked like to me.

But those two players did look pretty buddy buddy the whole match — and afterward (see the photo poolactiontv posted) — so I can’t imagine that kind of foul being called in that particular match.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
These guys were each using their own personal chalk and they were picking it up at the end of their inning, just like you are talking about. He just appeared to utilize a calculated placement of his own chalk for that particular shot. That’s what it looked like to me.

But those two players did look pretty buddy buddy the whole match — and afterward (see the photo poolactiontv posted) — so I can’t imagine that kind of foul being called in that particular match.
I guess the 'Key' words here are, "These guys!" Nothing to see here, except, I've seen it happen more often than Not!

I stopped a many year prolific abuser of the, 'Chalk on the 3rd rail arrival point.' What snapped my head back with this guy was, when He'd find the point on the 3rd cushion he needed to score the point, He'd slam the chalk down on the rail! Now this was in the late 70's-80's, so, there were usually a few pieces of chalk on the table. By the time I got done with this guy, He was going up to the counter 3 or 4 times game looking of a new piece of chalk!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
AtLarge stats:
High runs
12-and-out -- once, by Pagulayan (Match 3)
10 (not out) -- once, by Pagulayan (Match 5)
9-and-out -- 3 times: 2 by Pagulayan (Matches 3 and 6) and 1 by Gomez (Match 6)
8-and-out -- 15 times: 9 by Pagulayan, 3 by Chohan, and 1 each by Lunda, Gomez, and Morra"

Wow!
Especially how the scattering of those higher runs was DOMINATED by Alex!!

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
And that is why Alex is on top of my list (plus Canadian Passport). When it comes to moving around and getting pin point shape only Dennis O is in the same neighborhood.
I watched Alex play the Table Brains game here in MN a few weeks ago and it was nuts watching his position play. It is a fun game invented by a guy here and very humbling for us peons!!!