Here yesterday, gone today....

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
CaliRed said:
Well, it's been about a year now since I started going to my new place. At the other place, I had just picked up a cue again after a real long layoff. I couldn't make a ball and was absolutely sick and embarrassed of the way I played. I had no idea it would take this long to get somewhat back in stroke.

I guess a lot happened to the ole body in that long time away from the table. When I first started coming in this place, I wouldn't play anyone because I knew I needed to start making some balls before I even would begin to entertain the thought of playing someone... even for free.

I did that for about 6 months ( I only get about 6 hours a week practice in) and in the last 5 months I've started to mix it up a little. I wouldn't ever play any of the bangers, I jumped right in with the guys that play every day. Their the people that hang out there all day and night. Of course I got my ass whipped real good for a few months but I would only play real cheap, and just playing someone saved me 3.20 a hour on table time. I just needed to play and put pressure on myself.

The only game I could get was 9 ball, because no one would play a game of onepocket unless it was for at least 5 a game. Well, when you're trying to get back in stroke, that can add up real quick when your cueball isn't going where you want it to.:)

The last 2 months I finally started jumping into the onepocket again. It really sucks the big one, to love the game more then any other game, but you never get a chance to play it because of where you live or because of a tight financial situation. I have only 3 people to choose from.... 1 is a lock artist that has a stable of regulars that play well beneath him, that donate to him EVERY time he plays them. No job except for robbing the blind. :rolleyes: He plays everyday and hangs out there day and night. He would play cheap because he knew he was robbing me. I got 9-7 and lost at that for the first 6 or 7 times and then got lucky and won a set. The ones I lost were bloodbaths, with a few closer games in there every now and then.

Of course I knew what was coming next. "I can't spot you, you play too good" "I will only play you even". I didn't even bother "negeotiating" I said fine "Ill beat your ass even" I wanted to beat him even and didn't even want the hassle of a spot. So I lose another 6 or 7 sets with some more one-sided victories for him. I get him to play a couple of sets of bank pool in there and beat him at that, very close though. Now that game is off the table (no pun intended)

Then I started breaking even. He would win the first set, I would win the 2nd. That had to irritate the crap out of him:D Then the last 4 or 5 sets, I've won 2 of them. We play races to 3. I won 3-0 and one time battled back from down 2-1. Then on Sunday, we each win a game, then I beat him 8-0. Next game I ran 8 and out on him for the win. Today he doesn't want to play. I think I just lost a customer. He's going to do the high roller thing now.

The 2nd guy is much better then me and he gives me 10-5 but not very often. Too much work for him. He's too tough anyways, because he can run balls. One mistake and I'm down 7-0 already.

3rd guy is a guy that shoots for hours every day with one guy. 9 ball only. I hook him sometimes after he's done. He's one of those guys that was born with a horseshoe up his ass. (Dennis, close your ears) He is so lucky it makes me sick. I'm telling you he is constantly getting every roll in the book. It really bothers me, because you think it evens out, but I don't play him often enough, so it's all him and it's too much to overcome. I was down a set of 9 ball, 8-3 going to 9 and I worked my butt off to get to the hill with him. 5 games where every shot was do or die. Final game he misses the one ball, it slops in another pocket and in the process knocked the 2 right up on the 9 ball for a combo that Ray Charles couldn't miss.

Well he gets hard up for a game so once in a while he will play onepocket with me. That's right, a 9 baller against a guy that is trying to get things going for him again. Oh... let me add, his luck carries over to this game too. I'm supposed to win against him. But he won 2 sets to my one, and it was brutal. I found out quick, that you can't leave those type of people anything. Because he still thinks he's playing 9 ball and he will shoot at anything remotely close. If he makes it, I don't stand a chance.

Yesterday, I play him. (I had told myself I wouldn't play him 9 ball again, because he pulled that shoot safe every other shot on me, and I'm not putting up with that crap. I'm talking shots anyone would take, he'd play safe) So we play a race to 3 and I win the first game easily. Pick off some balls every time he makes a mistake. I think I won 8-2. 2nd game I sold out and he ran 6 on me. He also got me in a real bind and I took 2 intentionals. I could not find anything to shoot at. So I'm down 6 to -2. I tell myself I'm going to come back and still win. I shoot smart. I don't leave anything and he wastes most of his turns having to take out my ball. I make some good shots and get back to 6-5. Then I make a fantastic severe cut shot and of course the cue ball is coming straight down the table but finds a way to go into the side pocket. He wins that game.

Game 3, I shoot real strong and torture him. Made great shots and never left him anything. I win. I'm up 2-1.. need one more game. (I'm also on my case 20.00 too)

Game 4 is a hour long battle. I get way down 6-0 after he swung at a ball and made it. Once again, I refuse to give up and I tell myself I"m going to get back it one ball at a time. I do too. I never leave anything. I keep getting a ball near my hole. It's 6-5 him and then he hangs a ball up I can't take out. All the balls are uptable, so I follow it in. I did not want him on 7. We play about a 30 mins with each of us needing a couple of balls. One time he sells out with 2 balls on the bottom rail and it looks like he's leaving me straight in for a easy out. He tried to take out my ball and double kissed it. Oh but wait!!!! the cueball gets pushed towards his hole and now it looks like he's also going to scratch !!!

EXCEPT... the horseshoe reared it's ugly head again. He titty hooks me with the ball so deep in his pocket, I don't see what's holding it up. 2 balls near my pocket and I can't see them. I try a Efren shot and it resulted in a CaliRed shot I owe one. Anyways I finally won that game on a very nice bank that rolled in sweet. I love pocket speed banks just as much as I do 90 mph banks.

So that's where I"m at today. I got my brains beat in for a few months by people that I should have got about 4 balls from. Now I'm breaking even and even winning some.

I love this game! Just thought I would share another book. See Artie, you ain't the only one that likes to write.
greg great to hear of your "comeback":)
what started as a sad thread seems to be going in a happy direction:)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Jimmy B said:
Nice read there Greg. I kept wondering throughout that story what kind of tables you were playing on, because in the original you said that the place had closed and you would have to resort to 8 ft.ers. I don't know why but I had thought somehow that you lived in the city of industry. duh.

the first place I described had 4 9't tables and they were always available and they were cheap several times a week. Like 5.00 from 11-5 on Sunday type cheap.

Since that place closed, I have to go to a place that has only 2 9 ft tables in crappy condition and they charge 6.40 a hour with no one price break ever on them. Spending 15.00 on table time for a couple of hours of practice, is really hard on me. They have some deals on the 8 ft'ers like on Thursdays from 4-7pm , a dollar a hour. So sometimes you end up playing onepocket on a 8 ft table, which is not something I want to do.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Nice work, Red. I bet the regulars are a bit stumped, too. I mean.. a guy shows up, gets spotted and his butt handed to him, and then a while later is ready to be giving out spots and taking money back with interest.

I'm primarily a barbox player, so I'm right at home on the little tables. Being aggressive on the table and turning an aweful layout into a runout puts a big sh**-eating grin on my face. This summer, I'll be playing BCA on 9s, though, as well as the other league on diamond 7s (which will be nice for Lincoln City in the fall). The rest of the time, balancing working on being a barbox champ with my stomach-strengthening routine of PBR with a shot of EW.

I just wish I had gotten into pool down in CA, as I wasn't far from Mr. Lucky's(?) in Torrance and hung out for a little bit with a girl that lived in Artesia really close to Hardtimes. I always tell myself that when I go back to the beach down there, I'm gonna stop in some of the bars and make a few bucks off the 6 & 7-figure earners. Until then, I just knock the balls around and daydream of being good. :eek:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
CaliRed said:
the first place I described had 4 9't tables and they were always available and they were cheap several times a week. Like 5.00 from 11-5 on Sunday type cheap.

Since that place closed, I have to go to a place that has only 2 9 ft tables in crappy condition and they charge 6.40 a hour with no one price break ever on them. Spending 15.00 on table time for a couple of hours of practice, is really hard on me. They have some deals on the 8 ft'ers like on Thursdays from 4-7pm , a dollar a hour. So sometimes you end up playing onepocket on a 8 ft table, which is not something I want to do.

Just a thought, Greg, but have you ever tried offering the proprietor so much a month for unlimited play? I've seen it work before. Maybe you would only play between certain times which would include your preferred times. Just sayin'.

cuesmith

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
Sherm,

I've chatted with Bill over the last few years. I knew about the hall closing and that he and Don tried to make it a dance bar with pool tables.

Sorry to hear about Beechmont Billiards. I was there before you opened the place. I also played at your old place in Oakley. Both great action places.

I miss my friends and pool halls in Cincinnati. But, I hear Michaels is still going strong.

Well Michaels is still going, wouldn't call it strong. Not too much going on, on a regular basis from what I hear. Michael had to take the place back after the guy who bought, on some sort of "land contract" it went belly up. He's been actively trying to sell it again but no one in their right mind is buying pool halls these days. There is "kick Shots" in Florence that had a bit of a rush when they first opened a few years back but I hear it's dead now. But it's summertime. Tough action for pool rooms in areas that get cold in the winter. Everyone's into outdoor activities. Golf, softball, camping, fishing etc... At least you're at one of the top pool rooms in the country. I understand Mike Page is doing well in Fargo and of course Barry in Virginia but most of the pool rooms are hurting these days.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
cuesmith said:
At least you're at one of the top pool rooms in the country. I understand Mike Page is doing well in Fargo and of course Barry in Virginia but most of the pool rooms are hurting these days.

We all have seasonal business trends. But, overall, business is down from 2007 figures. Everything is down except taxes and fees.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Mike Page in Fargo....

Mike Page in Fargo....

Would that be Broadway Billiards in Fargo I wonder.........?

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Man, That is rough. I would go nuts if there were no 9 footers in my town.

Looks like the 8's are your best option.

Dud

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
It breaks my heart to see another room go, for you and some kid(we dont even know) wont have the chance to play and thats why pool is dieing, you cant go play there now, and i know about pain, 6 years of hell for me. the past 48 hours i had no pain, i didnt go to the pool room its a long drive for me(not by most ppls standards but driving can start up a backache for me) now the pain is creeping in so i doubt i'm going tonight.

What I see happening is private clubs. Its possible to rent out space on the cheap and have 10-20 guys pay the nut every month and have a key to the door. its cheaper than running a business. they have them in Germany. I dont have room in LA for a table in my house, right down the st 5-8 minute drive I can rent a space and set a box's up in there for $1000/mo cut that up 10 ways and its cheaper and better than any pool room in LA. pool rooms are not a realistic business model anymore for the most part.

I hope your pain eases up, and you find a good spot to play

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Fatboy said:
It breaks my heart to see another room go, for you and some kid(we dont even know) wont have the chance to play and thats why pool is dieing, you cant go play there now, and i know about pain, 6 years of hell for me. the past 48 hours i had no pain, i didnt go to the pool room its a long drive for me(not by most ppls standards but driving can start up a backache for me) now the pain is creeping in so i doubt i'm going tonight.

What I see happening is private clubs. Its possible to rent out space on the cheap and have 10-20 guys pay the nut every month and have a key to the door. its cheaper than running a business. they have them in Germany. I dont have room in LA for a table in my house, right down the st 5-8 minute drive I can rent a space and set a box's up in there for $1000/mo cut that up 10 ways and its cheaper and better than any pool room in LA. pool rooms are not a realistic business model anymore for the most part.

I hope your pain eases up, and you find a good spot to play

I am not a doctor But I am a expert in therapy. THe greatest thing you can do for youre pain and state off mind. Is too get a hose were you can have a pool table.

And whenever you want to hit balls. or get a little exercise or some fun and pleasure enjoying. What you like playing pool.

You will have the table wright thier for youre therapy any time you need to get ride off stress or agravarion.

You can take it out on the poolballs. And pool table. And they will always be youre friends. And they wiill look the same no mater howe you feel.

THier is no better therapy then playing a game you enjoy. Because its fun. And its not like work in therapy doctors give you and have you do.

And you can do it as much as you want. And any time you want too. ..And the price is wright. Dot give up what you enjoyed and all the fun you had playing it with all those different people.

No therapy in the world can replace those times and momonte. What good is life if you take away youre greatest plasure.

Life is not just about working and makeing a living. And haveing all the wealth in the world is not worth giving up what you realy love and enjoy.

Nothing can take the place of what you enloy. ITs like having the girl you always wanted. And nowe you cant have her.

Changing something you enjoyed and was a big part off youre life. Id not woth giving up. ESpecialy since you still love it so much.

You herd it from a expert. Get a place were you can have a pool table by you. And even at night when you canot sleep.

You can go and hit pool balls. And when you get tiered off shooting those balls. In those round little pockets. You can go and lay down.

And youwill sleep like a baby. And doing one thing in life you enjoy. Will pick up youre spirit and bring joy and happines to everything else you do.

And no therapy in the world will give you the pleasure that one game can give you. Because you enjoy doing it.

And in life we should do things we enjoy. So get youreself the strongest therapy. Thier is a Beautifull pool table.

And Even have youre name ingraved. FAT BOY. A real pool lover. THe best therapy is pool therapy.

And youre new therapy. Wont cost you by the houer. And what a great pass time.

And dont forget what a great feeling it is too have that great two peace cue in youre hand.

A table a day leeps the Doctor away. You herd it from the expert.

And have a dew fat butgers while you are playing.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I am not a doctor But I am a expert in therapy. THe greatest thing you can do for youre pain and state off mind. Is too get a hose were you can have a pool table.

And whenever you want to hit balls. or get a little exercise or some fun and pleasure enjoying. What you like playing pool.

You will have the table wright thier for youre therapy any time you need to get ride off stress or agravarion.

You can take it out on the poolballs. And pool table. And they will always be youre friends. And they wiill look the same no mater howe you feel.

THier is no better therapy then playing a game you enjoy. Because its fun. And its not like work in therapy doctors give you and have you do.

And you can do it as much as you want. And any time you want too. ..And the price is wright. Dot give up what you enjoyed and all the fun you had playing it with all those different people.

No therapy in the world can replace those times and momonte. What good is life if you take away youre greatest plasure.

Life is not just about working and makeing a living. And haveing all the wealth in the world is not worth giving up what you realy love and enjoy.

Nothing can take the place of what you enloy. ITs like having the girl you always wanted. And nowe you cant have her.

Changing something you enjoyed and was a big part off youre life. Id not woth giving up. ESpecialy since you still love it so much.

You herd it from a expert. Get a place were you can have a pool table by you. And even at night when you canot sleep.

You can go and hit pool balls. And when you get tiered off shooting those balls. In those round little pockets. You can go and lay down.

And youwill sleep like a baby. And doing one thing in life you enjoy. Will pick up youre spirit and bring joy and happines to everything else you do.

And no therapy in the world will give you the pleasure that one game can give you. Because you enjoy doing it.

And in life we should do things we enjoy. So get youreself the strongest therapy. Thier is a Beautifull pool table.

And Even have youre name ingraved. FAT BOY. A real pool lover. THe best therapy is pool therapy.

And youre new therapy. Wont cost you by the houer. And what a great pass time.

And dont forget what a great feeling it is too have that great two peace cue in youre hand.

A table a day leeps the Doctor away. You herd it from the expert.

And have a dew fat butgers while you are playing.

I have been lucky enough to have a pool room in my house(s) since 99 most of the time. Rite now I dont. And it sucks, I cant seem to get to the pool room for the past 10 days. I despise the drive down to the pool room, the closest room is 20 minutes(if I catch the lites all green). sometimes the drive is enough to start a backache so I cant play when I gt there or I just drive home and never get out of the car. Needless to say I havent been playing much, I gained a few pounds and dont feel as good as when i was playing in Vegas fulltime. Now I have the time I dont have the roo, had the room and no time or was in the wrong mood to play.

I just know where i'm at aint working. I have to figure out something new soon.

I'm lucky to have what I have had the past 10 years, I hope I can sort out a spot to play soon. I will by the end of the summer. I cant stay where i'm at, i'm just going sideways.

I really feel bad for anyone who loses their spot to play pool, I didnt have a place to play until I was 18, until I was 18 I had a 8' box and barboxes with nobody to show me how to shoot a stop shot. better late than never.

How come we never hear about pool in Africa? I been there 7-8 times for as many months and never saw a box, but i was in the bush most of the time. And Australia is there pool there? I mite leave America if I cant find a spot here I like. but where ever I go there has to be pool of some sort. I wish I knew more about pool outside america. I know about some 3C and Snooker here and there.

Last edited:

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
There's pool in Africa. i saw some pics of a few bar boxes. I think they were in Nigeria. There's pool in Australia too. Mostly bar boxes it seems.

Fatboy said:
I have been lucky enough to have a pool room in my house(s) since 99 most of the time. Rite now I dont. And it sucks, I cant seem to get to the pool room for the past 10 days. I despise the drive down to the pool room, the closest room is 20 minutes(if I catch the lites all green). sometimes the drive is enough to start a backache so I cant play when I gt there or I just drive home and never get out of the car. Needless to say I havent been playing much, I gained a few pounds and dont feel as good as when i was playing in Vegas fulltime. Now I have the time I dont have the roo, had the room and no time or was in the wrong mood to play.

I just know where i'm at aint working. I have to figure out something new soon.

I'm lucky to have what I have had the past 10 years, I hope I can sort out a spot to play soon. I will by the end of the summer. I cant stay where i'm at, i'm just going sideways.

I really feel bad for anyone who loses their spot to play pool, I didnt have a place to play until I was 18, until I was 18 I had a 8' box and barboxes with nobody to show me how to shoot a stop shot. better late than never.

How come we never hear about pool in Africa? I been there 7-8 times for as many months and never saw a box, but i was in the bush most of the time. And Australia is there pool there? I mite leave America if I cant find a spot here I like. but where ever I go there has to be pool of some sort. I wish I knew more about pool outside america. I know about some 3C and Snooker here and there.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
P00lh0li0 said:
There's pool in Africa. i saw some pics of a few bar boxes. I think they were in Nigeria. There's pool in Australia too. Mostly bar boxes it seems.

Nigeria is a good spot if your in the right areas. I have a good friend from there who lives in Alanta now. Where ever I end up it will have to be some where there is pool.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Wow..that's cool. i forgot to mention that Australia also has regular tables but I don't know how prevalent they are. There's tons of pool in China. I don't think i went anywhere there wasn't a pool table. Even the middle of nowhere. Quality varies wildly of course.

Fatboy said:
Nigeria is a good spot if your in the right areas. I have a good friend from there who lives in Alanta now. Where ever I end up it will have to be some where there is pool.