hall vs davis 1

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yeah this is my shot also.

Amazing how many good shots there are here, and often in these WWYDs. Really comes down to execution, so for me, judging well what I can execute.

I've learned the hard way -- actually I still need some more learnin' -- not to be more creative than my hummingird ass......... etc.

OPBEAST

Verified Member
another though

another though

Taking a second look, I would like to come off the rail, skid the 1 ball softly and put the cue ball down here. The 1 and 4 ball might double up.

hall vs davis II.jpg

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Yeah this is my shot also.

To me it looks like to bank that ball past the one ball you would need to cut it a bit. Even with that slight cut and the speed required I don't think you could get past the six ball with the cue ball.
Seems to me that to get the cue ball going in that direction you have to hit the object fuller and that would drive that ball toward his pocket. Maybe I'm wrong. I will have to set this up and try it.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Assuming I can see enough of the 10 and I feel I can come off the stack correctly I like this. A tad aggressive but can change the game.

Attachments

• Picture71.jpg
    Picture71.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I didn't see that one. Looks real good because your blocking return shots.

The reasons that isn't as good as 1 railing the 4 ball....
1. you might scratch in the corner pocket
2. the key to the defensive part of any shot here is getting the cue ball to the end rail which is ALOT harder to do kicking thin off the 1 ball.
3. if your cue ball ends up by his side rail and the 1 ball doesnt double him up on the 4 ball he simple banks the 4 ball 2 rails off the bottom of the 8 ball and draws the cue ball a little bit and you will be waxing your dolphin AGAIN.

The 1 railer on the 4 ball is the best shot in this situation with leaving the least reply.

Cloidius

Verified Member
2. the key to the defensive part of any shot here is getting the cue ball to the end rail which is ALOT harder to do kicking thin off the 1 ball.
3. if your cue ball ends up by his side rail and the 1 ball doesnt double him up on the 4 ball he simple banks the 4 ball 2 rails off the bottom of the 8 ball and draws the cue ball a little bit and you will be waxing your dolphin AGAIN.

The 1 railer on the 4 ball is the best shot in this situation with leaving the least reply.

This was constructive criticism.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There's a very strong shot that may be available, bank the 9ball into the 14ball with an elevated cue and crawl up the side rail with the cue ball. If that shot is available that's where i'm going.. If that shot isn't available i'm banking the 4ball and playing the cue ball to the top left corner. Many good things can happen for the shooter with that shot, playing a good cue ball is imperative.

Also, going up table off of any other ball you must defend against leaving a return shot on the 4ball. Playing off the 4ball will remedy that, plus you now have the 4ball working for you as possibly against you. Good call "Hacker"

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Assuming I can see enough of the 10 and I feel I can come off the stack correctly I like this. A tad aggressive but can change the game.
nick
i usually like your shot selections.....:)
on this one it seems to me you would be pushing alot of balls to mike davis side

......:confused:

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
This is a great instance where an experienced player like Hall may consider taking a foul.

Ideally shooting the cue ball between the 7 and 4 balls (space permitting), and leaving whitey approx 1 diamond this side of Davis' side pocket rail, preferably restricting passage to play off the 15 or 9 to get behind the 8.

From here Davis would struggle to come up with a constructive shot.

Fouls like this are game changers......especially in this instance where Davis cannot simply return the foul, positioning the cue ball back from where it originated.

Bernie.

Why take a foul here. You can get the CB to the same place and easier by coming off the left side of the 13 ball.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

I gotta give credit to you Hackman, you have toned down your somewhat controversial inflammatory responses and upped your explanations of the shot in a ( mild mannered ) Clark Kent fashion. Soon you'll be wearing the cape with the big red S.

I like this shot also, for ease of execution and probable outcome, I wouldn't have seen it though, without you pointing it out. Now it seems the obvious shot.

Multiple thanks Sir

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

the nice pill meds must be kicking in............:heh....:heh

great post rob........kudos.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I wrote a smart-assed reply then deleted it to just say "Thanks."

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
To me it looks like to bank that ball past the one ball you would need to cut it a bit. Even with that slight cut and the speed required I don't think you could get past the six ball with the cue ball.
Seems to me that to get the cue ball going in that direction you have to hit the object fuller and that would drive that ball toward his pocket. Maybe I'm wrong. I will have to set this up and try it.

Frank, you're correct with what you're saying, only if you cut the 4ball, however, this hit is more of a "full hit" sending the cue ball through the 4ball and avoiding the possible conflict with the 6ball (but not by much) The cue ball will end up near the top left corner, Rodney drew a line that was (imo) not the direction the cue ball will take, imo, the cue ball will be tracking straight toward the top left pocket, be careful with the speed of this particular shot. This shot is felt through the cue ball, not the object ball..playing a good cue ball is the crux of this option in terms of succeeding, a good cue ball will give you the best chance of prevailing because there's really not much room to play your cue ball through, but doable.

This shot is all about the cue ball, by eye balling it I believe the angle is there to play a good object ball, however, lets not be mistaken, it's all about the cue ball. Playing a good cue ball will allow you to be more efficient with shots of this kind, all that's left is learning to judge the angle of the object ball in relation to the path the cue ball will take. Yes, this takes practice which is necessary to develop the feel for shots of this kind.

Frank, my explanation of the above was not meant for you, I know you are very much aware of how shots like this one are played out, but for players that are not familiar with this type of hit then my explanation will hopefully be of some benefit.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Frank, you're correct with what you're saying, only if you cut the 4ball, however, this hit is more of a "full hit" sending the cue ball through the 4ball and avoiding the possible conflict with the 6ball (but not by much) The cue ball will end up near the top left corner, Rodney drew a line that was (imo) not the direction the cue ball will take. This shot is felt through the cue ball, not the object ball..playing a good cue ball is the crux of this option in terms of succeeding, a good cue ball will give you the best chance of prevailing because there's really not much room to play your cue ball through, but doable.

This shot is all about the cue ball, by eye balling it I believe the angle is there to play a good object ball, however, lets not be mistaken, it's all about the cue ball. Playing a good cue ball will allow you to be more efficient with shots of this kind, all that's left is learning to judge the angle of the object ball in relation to the path the cue ball will take. Yes, this takes practice which is necessary to develop the feel for shots of this kind.

Frank, my explanation of the above was not meant for you, I know you are very much aware of how shots like this one are played out, but for players that are not familiar with this type of hit then my explanation will hopefully be of some benefit.

Dr. Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I love the shot but thought it took a more precise hit than others were thinking, or maybe were just more sure they could make the perfect hit than I. I passed on it for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Edit to add: I also wasn't sure the 4 wouldn't hit the 9 in some way -- given that I had to shoot pretty firmly to get the CB to travel -- that I wouldn't like... and sure couldn't predict.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I wrote a smart-assed reply then deleted it to just say "Thanks."

Thats funny because... I had a nice your welcome reply all typed out and deleted it to instead just say.... **** OFF:eek::lol:lol just kidding... you and everyone else are welcome.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Thats funny because... I had a nice your welcome reply all typed out and deleted it to instead just say.... **** OFF:eek::lol:lol just kidding... you and everyone else are welcome.

Just to be clear, this is very nice once in a while, but don't make a habit of it... we'll start thinking someone has "Hacked" your account.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frank, you're correct with what you're saying, only if you cut the 4ball, however, this hit is more of a "full hit" sending the cue ball through the 4ball and avoiding the possible conflict with the 6ball (but not by much) The cue ball will end up near the top left corner, Rodney drew a line that was (imo) not the direction the cue ball will take, imo, the cue ball will be tracking straight toward the top left pocket, be careful with the speed of this particular shot. This shot is felt through the cue ball, not the object ball..playing a good cue ball is the crux of this option in terms of succeeding, a good cue ball will give you the best chance of prevailing because there's really not much room to play your cue ball through, but doable.

Dr. Bill

In regard to the line of the cue ball that Rodney drew, it really depends on the "exact angle" the cue ball and ob are lined up on. If there is a difference as little as 1/4'" it could send the cue ball a full diamond from his line to the diamond to the left of his line. I lined up both balls aiming for the 1st. diamond from the corner pocket and played from there.If the angle is straight toward the first diamond then to shoot through the ob and get good results you cant send the 4ball to the left of the diamond or you run the risk of sending the cue ball into the 6ball. Anyways, it's possible for the cue ball to follow Rods line, once again, it all depends on the angle of both the cue ball and object ball and whats needed from both balls.:confused: Yes, I know.

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think I would shoot the 8 straight on here and force forward to the side rail. The 8 could hit the 14, or the 3 and 5, either look good to me.

beat me to it....
:)

first of all
thanks to all who posted
nice discussions of options and constructive critiques...:)
well justin did bank the 8 into the stripe which moved balls to his side
and followed the cue ball into the side rail and then against the stack
dh2.jpg

dh3.jpg

Last edited: