"Greenleaf: Pool's Greatest Champion"

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There was one quote from the Patcheye interview that has stuck with me where he said something like "I know what an accomplishment is." It was a single statement that spoke volumes.

Getting back on topic, I read once that Greenleaf used inside English on a high percentage of shots. Someone earlier observed how the cue ball seemed to float from shot to shot, something CJ Wiley has remarked on as well when discussing his TOI method. I also wonder how much a factor the different composition of the balls used back then might have been in accounting for some of the unique attributes in his style of play.

Were they using clay balls in the 20s and 30s?
I wonder if that was an old time thing to do. Marshall Carpenter seemed to use a little inside often also.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Were they using clay balls in the 20s and 30s?
I'm sure they were. I recall playing with them in pool rooms through the '50s into the '60s. The material was Bakelite. It's still used sometimes in saucepan handles, dominoes, etc. Not sure when the phenolic pool balls came in. Seems like everyone had them by the later '60s.

Keith E.

Verified Member
I'm sure they were. I recall playing with them in pool rooms through the '50s into the '60s. The material was Bakelite. It's still used sometimes in saucepan handles, dominoes, etc. Not sure when the phenolic pool balls came in. Seems like everyone had them by the later '60s.

Doc,

As you mentioned, Bakelite is still used for a few things today. For me, it's a jump cue tip. Jewelry is shown as another use from what this old brain can recall.

Keith

baby huey

Verified Member
I watched the Greenleaf video and noticed that Mosconi used all the same trick shots in his exhibitions as I saw many of them in the 60's. Anyone notice the "slipstroke." Quite common back then playing on felt and with clay balls.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
To Note: Womens World Championship 14.1 it lists. Ruth McGinnis 1932-1950. She is the only one listed and held the title for 19 yrs. straight.
1950 Willie Mosconi 4-1/2 x 9 table, high run tournament avg. 18.34. That is off the charts, and I would venture to say that it is still a tournament record. Once Mosconi figured out how to win the championship, get over the hump to say, he was unstoppable, and far outpaced his rivals of Caras and Crane.
These three were such prolific pros, and Crane was still besting players in the '70's.
Whitey