Glen White Memorial Results

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,871
Location
Placerville, CA
1st...........Chris MacDonald. $1,600
2nd..........Raphael Martinez. $ 950
3rd...........JR Hendy. $ 600
4th...........Billy Palmer. $. 350
5/6th........Hugo
Jeff Gregory. $. 200
7/8th........George Michaels
Mike Suhr. $. 100

Another great tournament at Delbert Wongs Family Billiards in San Francisco. $1,600 entry fees and $2,500 added ALL paid back to players.
 

Dudley

Verified Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
748
Location
San Jose, CA
jrhendy said:
1st...........Chris MacDonald. $1,600
2nd..........Raphael Martinez. $ 950
3rd...........JR Hendy. $ 600
4th...........Billy Palmer. $. 350
5/6th........Hugo
Jeff Gregory. $. 200
7/8th........George Michaels
Mike Suhr. $. 100

Another great tournament at Delbert Wongs Family Billiards in San Francisco. $1,600 entry fees and $2,500 added ALL paid back to players.

Wow,

What a soft field....;)

I was thinking about making the drive over to San Fran but I ended up working thru the weekend.

Glad to see one of the OP.org members get in the money.

Dud
 
Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
A Geezer strikes again !!!

A Geezer strikes again !!!

Great finish John...Congrats, Too bad you can't make it over to snap off the $1500 added Kolby's One Pocket shoot-out next week-end... Lot softer field...;)
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
10,555
Location
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hendy-- Impressive 3rd place finish behind two strong players, and in front of another! Nice to see that you're amassing a bankroll along with your SS checks to take to the DCC.

I see that Chris' game stays strong in his 50's...

Doc
 

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
164
Sweet!

Chris has been a good player forever it seems, having a family and working full time doesn't give him much time to keep his game where it used to be.

He's always been an excellent player, especially at banks or one pocket. If anyone doesn't know who he is, there is an Accu-Stats match of him playing Joyner banks with Varner and Rempe on commentary.

Good for him...he deserves a nice win like this. I'm biased though, he and his wife have also found free tickets to the Senior Golf Tour championships for me a couple of years in a row when it was in Sonoma, CA.

I play a wee bit of three cushion with him some times on Saturdays...I'll buy him a victory brewski and get some details on his matches if I can.

Edit: forgot to say nice job to JH for his good play. Well done!
 

vapros

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
3,965
Location
baton rouge, la
Varner on commentary - hoo boy! I have a DVD of a match that he did. He is, of course, right on top of one pocket and he made some good comments and analyses, but the fifty-fourth time he said 'I tell you what' I just had to mute the sound. That puts him in the same class as Lou Butera and Jimmy Mataya, for me. I'm easily irritated in my old age. :eek:
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,871
Location
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Hendy-- Impressive 3rd place finish behind two strong players, and in front of another! Nice to see that you're amassing a bankroll along with your SS checks to take to the DCC.

I see that Chris' game stays strong in his 50's...

Doc

Chris played well the whole tournament & going undefeated in this field was an accomplishment.

Barbara was here with him sweating every shot and both went home with big smiles.
 

bernie p

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
234
jrhendy said:
1st...........Chris MacDonald. $1,600
2nd..........Raphael Martinez. $ 950
3rd...........JR Hendy. $ 600
4th...........Billy Palmer. $. 350
5/6th........Hugo
Jeff Gregory. $. 200
7/8th........George Michaels
Mike Suhr. $. 100

Another great tournament at Delbert Wongs Family Billiards in San Francisco. $1,600 entry fees and $2,500 added ALL paid back to players.

John,

Congrats on a great finish. Btw, how does Delbert justify adding $2500.00 to a realatively small tournament? It is hard to believe he makes up that amount in extra business for the tourney duration.

Or is it that he just "loves" one pocket?

Thanks.

Bernie.
 

vapros

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
3,965
Location
baton rouge, la
Bernie, you didn't ask me, but I will comment anyway. I have been in a similar business. You don't have to get it all back during the 'tourney duration'. It's a promotional thing, identifying your place as a spot where good players play and exciting things happen. This is especially true if there are competitors nearby.

Before long he will have a pretty good idea in the matter of whether or not the money was well spent, and this will help him decide whether to do it again.

Or, as you mentioned, it may be that he can afford it and does not mind doing it - because he loves one pocket. We have to believe that this is the motivation for many stake horses. Pool and gambling. Be well.
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,871
Location
Placerville, CA
bernie p said:
John,

Congrats on a great finish. Btw, how does Delbert justify adding $2500.00 to a realatively small tournament? It is hard to believe he makes up that amount in extra business for the tourney duration.

Or is it that he just "loves" one pocket?

Thanks.

Bernie.

Delbert doesn't look to make up the $$ he adds. Glen White was a good friend and widely respected in the Bay Area billiard community. He will add $3,500 to the 9 Ball Glen White Memorial Tournament on December 11/12th.

This has been a successful pool room for quite a few years and Delbert has never been stingy with the added money for any of his tournaments. If you can ever make one them you should come. Great pool room in a great city that I guarantee is a little different than any other place you may go.
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
10,555
Location
Gulfport, Mississippi
bernie p said:
John, Congrats on a great finish. Btw, how does Delbert justify adding $2500.00 to a realatively small tournament? It is hard to believe he makes up that amount in extra business for the tourney duration.

Or is it that he just "loves" one pocket?
Hell, Bernie, it costs $2500 in San Francisco just to take a cab to the airport!:rolleyes:

Doc
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
gulfportdoc said:
Hell, Bernie, it costs $2500 in San Francisco just to take a cab to the airport!:rolleyes:

Doc

That may not include tip either, Bernie...:eek:
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,871
Location
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:
That may not include tip either, Bernie...:eek:

The drive to the room after midnight on Saturday nite was something to see. The streets were full of people in costumes (I think they were costumes) celebrating Halloween. The weather was fairly mild for San Francisco and there were some beauties in skimpy outfits. Some good looking girls too.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
jrhendy said:
Delbert doesn't look to make up the $$ he adds. Glen White was a good friend and widely respected in the Bay Area billiard community. He will add $3,500 to the 9 Ball Glen White Memorial Tournament on December 11/12th.

This has been a successful pool room for quite a few years and Delbert has never been stingy with the added money for any of his tournaments. If you can ever make one them you should come. Great pool room in a great city that I guarantee is a little different than any other place you may go.

Thats for sure John...S.F. and pre-Katrina New Orleans, are unique in that there are no other cities like them...Almost like leaving the U.S.
 

mosconiac

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
237
Another great showing by Hendy!

Is billy feeling well now? I remember hearing something about him getting very sick. Has that passed or is he still battling?
 

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
282
You mean Billy Palmer? He had a stroke a few years ago down in LA. Seems like he recovered from it pretty good. Won a few events and pretty competitive in others.
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
10,555
Location
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
Thats for sure John...S.F. and pre-Katrina New Orleans, are unique in that there are no other cities like them...Almost like leaving the U.S.
True dat. However, yesterday Louisiana has redeemed itself; whereas California has officially left the Union. I can just barely see it now-- detaching and starting to float to China.;)

BTW, Dick, congratulations on your Governor! And even Beard's and Booth's states went the "right" way.

Doc
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Location
chicago illinois
Enough rope

Enough rope

gulfportdoc said:
True dat. However, yesterday Louisiana has redeemed itself; whereas California has officially left the Union. I can just barely see it now-- detaching and starting to float to China.;)

BTW, Dick, congratulations on your Governor! And even Beard's and Booth's states went the "right" way.

Doc

In the case of Fantasyland (California), that victory should be known as, "giving them enough rope to hang themselves."
Best wishes ma'am, oops, I mean senator. Sorry about the legal pot going down, Gov. You will just have to cop yours the same way you've always been doing from when you were in office the first time.

Beard

Shame we didnt have a better candidate to run against the "Vietnam vet."
 
Top