George Fels -- heart attack

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My old pal, the great pool writer, George Fels suffered a serious heart attack yesterday. He is in Swedish Covenant hospital. I dont have any further info yet, other than he may be in a coma. That was the word I got late last night from Larry Schwartz.

I will find out more as the day goes on. Hopefully, he will be well enough for me to be able to visit him.

We should all say a prayer for George, God knows the pool world needs him.

Beard

lfigueroa

Verified Member
My old pal, the great pool writer, George Fels suffered a serious heart attack yesterday. He is in Swedish Covenant hospital. I dont have any further info yet, other than he may be in a coma. That was the word I got late last night from Larry Schwartz.

I will find out more as the day goes on. Hopefully, he will be well enough for me to be able to visit him.

We should all say a prayer for George, God knows the pool world needs him.

Beard

Get well, George. We all love and need you.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This is devastating news for me, George is one of my oldest friends. I hope all will say a prayer for his total recovery. We can't afford to loose such a literary icon in the pool/billiard industry.

Bill Smith "Mr3cushion"

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
George is. Truly a legend of our game, his understanding of the game and the players that play it are second to none. He's pool's finest journalist and a friend, get well my friend we have more straight pool to play.

Bill Incardona

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I hate to be the one throwing cold water, but I just talked to George's son Adam and it looks very dim. Very dim. George doesnt figure to regain consciousness, barring a miracle.

I am devastated. George and I go back to Bensingers 1962. His sons went to the same school as my daughter, Francis Parker.

Without George editing all 389 pages of my book -- three different times! -- I had zero chance of putting out any sort of decent product. Speaking of zero, that was what he charged me to do that extremely professional editing job.

An editing job of that magnitude would ordinarily run an author around $10,000. My daughter just went for $2500 just to take a basic look at her manuscript.

I am out of words.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I hate to be the one throwing cold water, but I just talked to George's son Adam and it looks very dim. Very dim. George doesnt figure to regain consciousness, barring a miracle.

I am devastated. George and I go back to Bensingers 1962. His sons went to the same school as my daughter, Francis Parker.

Without George editing all 389 pages of my book -- three different times! -- I had zero chance of putting out any sort of decent product. Speaking of zero, that was what he charged me to do that extremely professional editing job.

An editing job of that magnitude would ordinarily run an author around $10,000. My daughter just went for $2500 just to take a basic look at her manuscript.

I am out of words.

Beard
Sorry to hear that Fred, I know how close you guys have been through the years, I kinda grew up with ya all. Sorry.

Bill Incardona

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
God bless you George.
When your book "Mastering Pool" came out I felt like I had finally found someone who knew what the game was about and could express it like no one else could. It seemed like everyone else was only in it for the ego, the money, or both. I felt like a weirdo but when I read George's articles and book I knew that there was someone else who dreamed about pool in his sleep and who couldn't wait to get on a table as soon as he woke up. Someone who would drive anywhere anytime just to get a game.
God bless you and bring you back to us George!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
George Fels -- heart attack

I am very sorry to hear this Freddy. I have always been a huge fan of George's writing. Incidentally his mastering pool book is the first book that addresses significant one pocket moves and strategies. I still have my well-worn copy.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
George is....

George is....

....obviously needed in another pool hall in another dimension.To that end let us rejoice in the time we /you had.I had his book,I wish I would have had his friendship like Freddie and Billy and others had.Time to raise a glass of cheer to a good man,adieu.

RedCard

Verified Member
I only know George Fels through some of his writings and the regard folks I respect on this forum have for him. That's good enough for me. I hope he pulls through and has a good 2014.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I pray for the best for Mr Fels.

His articles and books have provided probably over a million readers priceless views and knowledge of his pool world.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Sluggin article/Tom Spencer

Sluggin article/Tom Spencer

This was such a wonderful read for me. During college yrs, he/I/Joey Gold battled in our youth.

Thx George....

Attachments

• sluggin 001.jpg
    sluggin 001.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
This is very sad to me...George has been my friend for almost 50 yrs...he lives in my neighborhood, and I just gave him a ride back from the grocery store last week......George, what ever happens, you are in my mind and heart.

- Ghost

onepockethacker

Verified Member

I am out of words.

Beard

Freddy Im sorry to hear the bleak outlook for your lifelong friend. Hopefully a miracle does happen for the New Year and he will somehow pull out of it. I know how much George has done for pool. He sounds like a nice great guy.

P.S. I remember when I was a kid and the days seemed to last forever and now it seems like someone has their finger on the fast forward button. My best friends father used to say" when you are young you go to parties and when you get older you go to funerals". Im starting to see how right he was and it makes me sad.
God Bless