vero beach fl
ok had some coffee....:D
later in the game gentile scratches and its shanes shot
still 2-1 gentile ahead in games
3 to minus one shane ahead this game
cc3.jpg

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I'd come off that 5 (the ball he is closest to) and go right behind the 11 (ball closest to gentile's ole). I may go side rail first to get back there, I really have to be at the table to tell sometimes. Action on balls going toward his hole probably wont be as good if he cuts the 5 and uses the side rail though. In any case, behind the 11 is the shot for me.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I'd come off that 5 (the ball he is closest to) and go right behind the 11 (ball closest to gentile's ole). I may go side rail first to get back there, I really have to be at the table to tell sometimes. Action on balls going toward his hole probably wont be as good if he cuts the 5 and uses the side rail though. In any case, behind the 11 is the shot for me.

Not just the 5 but to also the 5 to hit that top stripe, the second stripe hit the 8 and a bunch of balls move to SVB pocket.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Looks like Shane will start on the wrong side to play off the 5 ball, so I think he will cut the 2 ball very thin into the 6 and on into the balls nearest his pocket. It's hard to tell from here - he might be able to miss the 11 altogether and go back uptable, or he might play to hit the 11 with the cb, either directly or coming off the rail. I believe he will miss the 11 if he can.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
If Shane is as smart as I think he is, he will shoot from the other side of the table (to his left) and find the spot to hit the 5 ball, almost full..and come off the side rail..and drop behind the 11 ball..;) How would ya like THAT Chris ???..:eek:

Mover McDuck

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
The important thins here is to open up the 8,9 and hide the cue ball.
Several ways to do that.

Bill S.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Looks like Shane will start on the wrong side to play off the 5 ball, so I think he will cut the 2 ball very thin into the 6 and on into the balls nearest his pocket. It's hard to tell from here - he might be able to miss the 11 altogether and go back uptable, or he might play to hit the 11 with the cb, either directly or coming off the rail. I believe he will miss the 11 if he can.

The 5 is the top ball and he's starting from the correct position.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The 5 is the top ball and he's starting from the correct position.

Sorry, but I am forced to agree with San Jose Dick-Brain. We are usually at odds but I am man enough to agree with him when its called for.

You can play the 5 from both sides of the table and get pretty much the same result. However from the other side of the table the required execution is reduced to the point that a monkey should be able to handle the shot. Everything is natural that way. Just cross over the face of the five with a rolling ball and everything else you want will occur automatically.

Beard

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Sorry, but I am forced to agree with San Jose Dick-Brain. We are usually at odds but I am man enough to agree with him when its called for.

You can play the 5 from both sides of the table and get pretty much the same result. However from the other side of the table the required execution is reduced to the point that a monkey should be able to handle the shot. Everything is natural that way. Just cross over the face of the five with a rolling ball and everything else you want will occur automatically.

Beard

Are we looking at two different shots? I'm shooting the top ball, maybe it's not the 5. I don't see how hitting the 5 almost full will send it into the stripe combo that hits the 8 ball.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If Shane is as smart as I think he is, he will shoot from the other side of the table (to his left) and find the spot to hit the 5 ball, almost full..and come off the side rail..and drop behind the 11 ball..;) How would ya like THAT Chris ???..:eek:

Mover McDuck

not sure if this gets half a cookie......:rolleyes:
shane did move to his left BUT it was to 3 rail the 11....:eek:
cc5.jpg
he hit it with speed and the ability to put just enough follow to control where the cue ball stopped i thought was fine execution
he hit it harder than i think he wanted to as i think he wanted to leave the 11 closer to his pocket
p.s. i would have come off the 5 to get under the 11 from alittle closer to the center to get a fuller hit and more natural role as long as i could get the stripe combo to break up the 8/9 as jtompilot pointed out

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I kinda repeat myself on this, but I think that 11 ball was a good ball to have there, for shane. When your opponent has a ball in that spot it is many times the reason you can win the game. Not too crazy about his shot there.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Nothing good about that shot. Balls still clustered and the 11 isn't in that good of a spot.

I'm shooting the 3 from here, thin with low right. The 3 moves to the other side, the qb goes three rails to the top right corner and SVB is under pressure.

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
That was a pretty weak shot by shane in my opinion... I would go with the consensus and play off the 5 and drop behind the 11 also.

Dud

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
i was to late to the party to offer my shot selection but i didnt like the shot either:confused:,in another position the 11 3rail was ok (like if a ball actually went into his pocket and there was more balls near the end rail to hide behind.but as far as im concerned you have to break up that 8/9 or it will haunt you the entire game, wether it was with the 5-stack-8/9 leave whitey behind the 11 or thin the 2-6 into them and back up table or wherabouts.
i myself wouldve thined the 2-6 and tried for a side rail q ball, leave the stack as a blocker,covering the 4 balls that now all go into my pocket.
( i wish i could see th e table layout when im in post mode:()

just an afterthought, would anyone here feel compeled to 2 rail (first) kick the 11 over to your side? ofcourse in another situation where you didnt have to open the balls into your pocket (8-9)

willienilly

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
i was to late to the party to offer my shot selection but i didnt like the shot either:confused:,in another position the 11 3rail was ok (like if a ball actually went into his pocket and there was more balls near the end rail to hide behind.but as far as im concerned you have to break up that 8/9 or it will haunt you the entire game, wether it was with the 5-stack-8/9 leave whitey behind the 11 or thin the 2-6 into them and back up table or wherabouts.
i myself wouldve thined the 2-6 and tried for a side rail q ball, leave the stack as a blocker,covering the 4 balls that now all go into my pocket.
( i wish i could see th e table layout when im in post mode:()

just an afterthought, would anyone here feel compeled to 2 rail (first) kick the 11 over to your side? ofcourse in another situation where you didnt have to open the balls into your pocket (8-9)

willienilly

First I would like to say that you're selling Shane short by saying that the option he chose was not a good one, which imo it was. The option that both SJD and the Beard liked wasn't available because of how the balls are positioned, and that should of been recognized because of shane passing on an obvious strong shot that was easy to depict. In regard to the 2-6 combo opening up the 8 and 9 balls wasn't available as well because of the position of the 11 ball.

Shane's shot positioned the 11 ball on his side of the table and also positioned the cue ball in a perfect position to protect the balls on his side of the table, in addition to that he didn't leave a return shot for his opponent to improve his position. what's not to like about his shot?:confused:

Dr. Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Bill,

What do you think about my contention that the 11 is a bad ball position for Gentile though. I see a ball in that position turn into a negative for the player so many times. I guess it just depends on so many factors.

Interestingly, it has been put into the mirror position here, yet on shane's side -- yet ideal for Gentile would be slightly more off the rail to be better able to get behind there. I am curious, as always, to hear what you have to say about his, and also wonder if Gentile did end up sticking Shane behind that 11?? :)

Myself, I would have rather went behind that 11 here, 1 rail, even if it meant not mixing things up much or at all on my side..... but I do see your points.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Dr. Bill[/QUOTE]

First thing I would have done was move my cue ball closer to the line. I see Shane and I think alike. I like the three railer for position. Many people forget that patience in one pocket is as important as putting a ball near your hole. I think he wanted to put his cue in the rack. If you notice where the object ball ended, it is obvious he hit it poorly. (who woulda thunk Shane would shoot a shot like a mere mortal) Lastly, and especially since I saw the surgeon yesterday, always, always, listen to the Dr.:sorry:frus:eek: