Gay Male Pool Players

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Have there been any well-known openly gay male pool players? There are lots of openly (or at least commonly assumed) gay women players, but I've never heard of a gay male player of any note. Just sayin'...

My pool hall hosts a gay men's league (or maybe it's a couple of gay men's teams in a local league) once a week. It's well attended, the level of play is pretty league-typical, and they're good, fun, well-mannered customers who spend. This would have been unusual (to say the least) when I was a younger player - is it more common now, or is this still a rarity?

pj
chgo

P.S. The owner of my pool hall is a devout (Ismaili) Muslim who actively seeks gay customers - partly at my urging because I think they're an under-courted market that can become a loyal customer base. [In case you aren't familiar with them, Ismailis are a progressive Muslim sect, open-minded, inclusive and heavily involved in charity and civic work of all kinds.]

P.P.S. We used to have a "Queer Tango" studio next door in the same building and the building's owned by a gay female couple. Not your grandpa's pool hall.

P.P.P.S. No politics or controversy intended or wanted here. Just idle curiosity about this aspect of the pool world today vs. yesterday.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Interesting. Social demographics being what they are, one would typically think gay men would not be attracted to pool. Maybe that'll be pool's savior, Lord knows it needs one.

Does a cross-dressing Alex Pagulayan count?!?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Have there been any well-known openly gay male pool players? There are lots of openly (or at least commonly assumed) gay women players, but I've never heard of a gay male player of any note. Just sayin'...

My pool hall hosts a gay men's league (or maybe it's a couple of gay men's teams in a local league) once a week. It's well attended, the level of play is pretty league-typical, and they're good, fun, well-mannered customers who spend. This would have been unusual (to say the least) when I was a younger player - is it more common now, or is this still a rarity?

pj
chgo

P.S. The owner of my pool hall is a devout (Ismaili) Muslim who actively seeks gay customers - partly at my urging because I think they're an under-courted market that can become a loyal customer base. [In case you aren't familiar with them, Ismailis are a progressive Muslim sect, open-minded, inclusive and heavily involved in charity and civic work of all kinds.]

P.P.S. We used to have a "Queer Tango" studio next door in the same building and the building's owned by a gay female couple. Not your grandpa's pool hall.

P.P.P.S. No politics or controversy intended or wanted here. Just idle curiosity about this aspect of the pool world today vs. yesterday.
Tonight's pool hall staff formally object to any suggestion that the place is odd, matey.

View attachment 74531

Attachments

• Pressure Pirates (small).jpg
    Pressure Pirates (small).jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
My pool hall hosts a gay men's league (or maybe it's a couple of gay men's teams in a local league) once a week. It's well attended, the level of play is pretty league-typical, and they're good, fun, well-mannered customers who spend.

pj
chgo

My team is in 1st place right now...:heh

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Interesting. Social demographics being what they are, one would typically think gay men would not be attracted to pool.
Kind of like when women didn't see it as their kind of thing. Or was it men who didn't see it as women's kind of thing? Pool is still pretty old school - but change is afoot everywhere.

Maybe that'll be pool's savior, Lord knows it needs one.
I think it's a natural untapped market for recreational pool.

Does a cross-dressing Alex Pagulayan count?!?
I can't imagine that wouldn't count for something.

pj
chgo

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm sure they are represented in every demographic population. The world is big enough for everybody. The pool hall is as close to a true meritocracy as you will find. All that counts is that you play and love the game. Not too many other things matter.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I'm sure they are represented in every demographic population. The world is big enough for everybody. The pool hall is as close to a true meritocracy as you will find. All that counts is that you play and love the game. Not too many other things matter.

Fantastic observations, Petie. Where else would rednecks revere Pinoys?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ernie Cellars from Nawlins, Played like hell was almost undefeated playing pool. Recovered from a bad car wreck and played near his old speed.
Great prop man.
Last I heard he was playing poker on the boat most days. He's in his 90's if still alive.
Rod.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Ernie Cellars from Nawlins, Played like hell was almost undefeated playing pool. Recovered from a bad car wreck and played near his old speed.
Great prop man.
Last I heard he was playing poker on the boat most days. He's in his 90's if still alive.
Rod.
Thanks, Rod. Wonder if he's the only one...?

pj
chgo

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
There have been many players some of World Champion status who were rumored to be gay. It wouldn't be right to say too much with such a loud microphone as this forum.

Of course, we have the player in the Hustler who played Fast Eddie in the basement after the Kentucky Derby while Burt raped Eddies girlfriend at the hotel. He was gay--not Burt, the Billiard Player.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Thanks, Rod. Wonder if he's the only one...?

pj
chgo

Well he often had a young player on the road with him. I think they were pitchers not catchers.
He'd send them into a town a week or so early. They'd get a line on all the players for him. If they wanted to play it was okay but they only split each others winnings, losers went for their self. A good deal for the young men, unless they liked to gamble. :eek:
Rod.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Great prop man.
Rod.

I was hanging around with him for a few days one time. I noticed his teeth were badly stained. I asked him if he chewed tobacco. He frowned and whispered to me "Yes but don't tell anybody". I thought to myself "Well who gives a fuk" but I just said alright, I won't"

He acted and moved too funny. We never spoke a word about sexual matters but ole Frenchy sure didn't mind going into some rough old redneck places all alone and shooting down the local top sticks. Beat Sizemore badly Had a good nine ball game. Didn't get to see him play any op.... I liked him ok....

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I was hanging around with him for a few days one time. I noticed his teeth were badly stained. I asked him if he chewed tobacco. He frowned and whispered to me "Yes but don't tell anybody". I thought to myself "Well who gives a fuk" but I just said alright, I won't"

He acted and moved too funny. We never spoke a word about sexual matters but ole Frenchy sure didn't mind going into some rough old redneck places all alone and shooting down the local top sticks. Beat Sizemore badly Had a good nine ball game. Didn't get to see him play any op.... I liked him ok....

Those were the years when they mostly stayed in the closet. Yes, he'd hustle most anywhere.
Played jam up OP, saw him drive a good player crazy. The guy played slow,
when Cellars was through with him he couldn't make a ball and was complaining about slow play. LOL
Rod.
P.S. I liked him also, never made a pass at me, kinda hurt my feelers. :p:)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
There have been many players some of World Champion status who were rumored to be gay. It wouldn't be right to say too much with such a loud microphone as this forum.
I'm only curious if any were openly gay. Not looking to out anybody.

Of course, we have the player in the Hustler who played Fast Eddie in the basement after the Kentucky Derby while Burt raped Eddies girlfriend at the hotel. He was gay--not Burt, the Billiard Player.
Oh yeah... "Findley". Wonder if he was modeled on a real person...?

pj
chgo

baby huey

Verified Member
Who cares who is gay or straight. As long as they can play and are good enough to compete then that's OK with me.