Frank's 'The Barber' Back Bank!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry what are you talking about? Im not asking Whitey to stop I think his videos are great. But I am interested in how difficult the shot was, I don't feel its the correct shot as I stated. I would like to know how many shots it took to make it as filmed and did any of the misses sell out, did he get any kisses, scratches etc while attempting to film a successful shot.. Also Larry you don't have to tell what the point of these wwyds are, I already understand. K
keith
i responded to your post because it seemed alittle hostile towards whitey to me .
glad to know you understand the purpose of the wwyds
larry

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
From
N.CA
Anyone that wants the stats on Whitey's shot, should put the mouse/tablet/cell phone down and take it to the table themselves! JMHO.
So this is your opinion - log-in to a discussion group about One Pocket but then just log-off, go to a table (if one is available to you during the pandemic) and figure it out for yourself? Well, that will save Steve a bunch of time; thanks, Steve but who needs a discussion group..

Theses first 4 words set the, 'tone', So the question is, IMHO, a better would have, been, "So, the question for me is."
But if you're gonna try to have a discussion - best to PM mr3cushion first to get his direction on how to not be abrasive. 😏

While it may not have seemed like a dig when posted... it kinda sounded like one..
People obviously take things in different ways. I myself did not think it sounded abrasive or challenging. It just sounded like he was hoping to get more context. Whether Whitey wanted to embellish was totally up to him - but again - this IS a discussion group.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
So this is your opinion - log-in to a discussion group about One Pocket but then just log-off, go to a table (if one is available to you during the pandemic) and figure it out for yourself? Well, that will save Steve a bunch of time; thanks, Steve but who needs a discussion group..

But if you're gonna try to have a discussion - best to PM mr3cushion first to get his direction on how to not be abrasive. 😏

People obviously take things in different ways. I myself did not think it sounded abrasive or challenging. It just sounded like he was hoping to get more context. Whether Whitey wanted to embellish was totally up to him - but again - this IS a discussion group.
I can give YOU really abrasive, if YOU want! Or ,maybe just go to the table and practice the shot. I'll even let YOU do a, computer pool game bank getting the same results and action on the CB Whitey did! Oh, don't forget to let us All know how many try's it took!

Kybanks

Verified Member
I shot the bank 5 times, never made it but didnt sell out any banks either. I shot the safety 5 times and sold out twice by double kissing the object ball. I'm shooting the bank everytime in this spot!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Ok guys I know this is a difficult bank but it's a shot that I have practiced a lot and feel very comfortable with. I have shot this identical bank but with the object ball further to the right and near the corner pocket. And yes I have shot it in pressure situations. I went to the rec center yesterday and a couple of players there asked me about this post and asked me to try the shot. The first time I got close and left no return bank and made the bank the second try with the cue ball to the safe area.
The more we practice the difficult things the more we get comfortable with them.
P.S.... thanks Whitey for posting the video.
Your the man! There is no questioning that.
I was hoping you'd post.
There is a difference, and I try to show what is possible!
thanks, Whitey
and thanks to others that show support, and know the difference!

Reactions: lll

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Sappo & Old School, you guys really slave me! Ghost asked me that same question when I did a shot he said was impossible, and got some flack for asking, from members!
You just witness one the most beautiful banks you will ever see, and no one will probably ever see again, and this is your response. Really!
I posted this shot for the sheer beauty of the shot, nothing else.
How many tries do you guys want to 'make' the shot and hold the cb @ less than a half diamond at that pocket speed. Maybe 50-100 or soft rails under 25-50 tries. That is just how special this shot is, do not you guys realize this!
How many tries would you give a world's top banker to exactly duplicate this shot!
Cold turkey early this morning, I almost made it first try, I did this shot in the video on the 5th attempt.
I often times do the shots I post on the 1st attempt but when actually video taping them it can take longer. As you see in this video I have to hold my attention and fixation on the shot for a tremendous amount of time to get in the wordage depicting how I stroke the shot.
And sometimes I do the shots and make them but I know it can be done better, so you often see shots that are perfect for I want to represent what is 'possible'.
I would rate this shot a 9-1/2 on a scale to 10. I did almost the identical shot in pushing out 50 yrs ago, except my next shot the 9 ball was also frozen on the same rail. He passed on it, I stoned it in. It was harder than this shot. The difference playing 7 hrs a day every day. 1st try, get it!

I made this shot the 1st attempt when using just straight center high. This is how I would recommend shooting this shot for the cb still can stay within the head string.
I am surely not happy about having to post this, but I just knew someone would have to ask.
Whitey
I think I have probably made the shot goofing around 50 times in my life. Maybe a few while gambling , none of mine ever held up as well as yours did.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Good shooting Whitey. I havent shot it from the jaws but ive shot many similar shots with the OB one diamond left from the corner with the QB a diamond to the right of that jawed QB. Same shot, same results.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I'm not sure why there is any controversy about this shot.

In my neck of the woods I cannot think of a single player that I play who would not shoot the bank. I mean, really, at that distance, any kind of a safety is dodgy at best, so why not goferit. As to how many attempts, I think that's pretty much immaterial.

These kinds of things are posted to illustrate the possible.

We've all shot crazy ca-ca in live fire situations, with just one crack at it. Sometimes, blessedly, they go. If nothing else, you hang it up or leave it close, or can at least say you went down firing at your hole. So how many attempts is kind of a silly question.

Lou Figueroa

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Ok guys I know this is a difficult bank but it's a shot that I have practiced a lot and feel very comfortable with. I have shot this identical bank but with the object ball further to the right and near the corner pocket. And yes I have shot it in pressure situations. I went to the rec center yesterday and a couple of players there asked me about this post and asked me to try the shot. The first time I got close and left no return bank and made the bank the second try with the cue ball to the safe area.
The more we practice the difficult things the more we get comfortable with them.
I knew what your answer was and the answer is a great lesson itself.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Whitey prepares a video to show us that a particular shot can be made. We are expected to understand that it can't be made every time. :unsure:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm not sure why there is any controversy about this shot.

In my neck of the woods I cannot think of a single player that I play who would not shoot the bank. I mean, really, at that distance, any kind of a safety is dodgy at best, so why not goferit. As to how many attempts, I think that's pretty much immaterial.

These kinds of things are posted to illustrate the possible.

We've all shot crazy ca-ca in live fire situations, with just one crack at it. Sometimes, blessedly, they go. If nothing else, you hang it up or leave it close, or can at least say you went down firing at your hole. So how many attempts is kind of a silly question.

Lou Figueroa
Lou
i cant argue with you on this one
we agree 👍

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I think I have probably made the shot goofing around 50 times in my life. Maybe a few while gambling , none of mine ever held up as well as yours did.
Thanks Billy Jackets! I know you are an accomplish shot maker, and know the shots!
That is why I gave this shot its own thread, for I realized its end result was so very exceptional!
I wanted to share it, for most likely you will not see it again, at that pocket speed!
thanks again! Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
placerville CA
I love tis bank and feel very competent at it but with this one I thin I would be scared of bending the cue ball to much and double kissing the object ball and two railing it to leave the straight in. That is my lack of confidence though not any critique on the choice.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks everyone for your comments!
I hope you enjoyed the shot!
I feel blessed to present it!
Some of us, I included, got a little unhinged.
I have no qualms about using straight center high on this shot, and when warranted I have no qualms about putting a tad of inside reverse.
To each their own. I am moving on! Carry on Gentlemen!
We are all good! Whitey

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Thanks Billy Jackets! I know you are an accomplish shot maker, and know the shots!
That is why I gave this shot its own thread, for I realized its end result was so very exceptional!
I wanted to share it, for most likely you will not see it again, at that pocket speed!
thanks again! Whitey
I don't think anyone can say, that a shot is the right shot, or the wrong shot , with 100% certainty. There are always exceptions.
I was messing around with Bernie Pettipiece right before he was going to The US Open One Pocket tournament , we were always trading shots and moves and he asked if I had any gems . I showed him this shot, only a diamond further away down the top rail . I showed it to him shooting from near the corner pocket also {You aren't going to shoot it from frozen on the rail, so in front of the pocket is the toughest starting point. at least in my opinion} He shot it about 30 times and got a good feel for it and that was that. A week later he sees me and says , you know that shot you showed me?
I was playing Santos { I think that was who he said, it may have been Warren K though } and it was the final game and he needed 1 and I needed all 3, and the other 2 balls were on my side of the table in the kitchen, but makeable.
I finally decided this was the best shot to win with, and pulled the trigger . I made it and got perfect to get the other 2 balls and he said the thought of winning from there got the best of him and he lost concentration , missed the next ball, and lost the game .
Bernie is a great player and a real gentleman , hard as the street.
I wished I had also told him, that when you make a fantastic shot , or luck one in , walk around the table a couple of times , stretch, and breathe slowly through your nose, adrenaline dump is real, and it can shut even the mighty down. He probably already knew that , he is a real student of the game. But we all forget in the heat of battle.
That would have been a nice scalp to hang on his lodgepole! Even though it's got a lot of monsters hanging from it already!
Thanks again for working on these shots , I love to see them hit great!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This was reportedly a favorite of Bugs. I am hardly a fraction of Bugs or Frank as a player, but I shoot that kind of bank all the time, for exactly the reasons Frank and others stated. Maybe not from out of the corner pocket however. Even for me, it rarely turns into a sell out. It's such a good shot I hate to see the secret leaked, honestly :LOL::LOL:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Sorry, I was clearing out my phone of unused videos and accidently deleted this video. It has happened before, remarkably the 4 rail back door bank. It was such a hard bank I never redid it.
Oh well, those involved in the AndyK thread got to see Frank's bank.
Whitey
Thanks for sharing Billy Jackets, and yes I walk away from the table and take a sip of my drink, and then back at it.
I am going to ask Steve what he thinks about removing this thread since there is no video, no use having 100's of more views.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'd been concerned about shooting off the pocket iron from the jaws for the bank shot. But I took it to the table last night, and that turned out not to be difficult. Shot it 3 times, got the ball close to the pocket twice, almost made it in the side once. All 3 times the CB got safe up near the head rail.

I shot the slow roll safety to the left side of the OB, and it got perfectly safe all 3 times, with the CB and OB lined up along the head rail. Which would I shoot in an important game? Probably the safety, unless the table rolled off.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'd been concerned about shooting off the pocket iron from the jaws for the bank shot. But I took it to the table last night, and that turned out not to be difficult. Shot it 3 times, got the ball close to the pocket twice, almost made it in the side once. All 3 times the CB got safe up near the head rail.

I shot the slow roll safety to the left side of the OB, and it got perfectly safe all 3 times, with the CB and OB lined up along the head rail. Which would I shoot in an important game? Probably the safety, unless the table rolled off.
I have lost my share of big games when I played a softly hit safety, so I almost never shoot them, in critical spots. {I would rather miss by a mile and at least had a hane to win , than slow roll the rent money, and not have any hope at all
I'm not a table expert, but I have had a table be rolling perfectly and an hour later the balls seem to have a mind of their own. I don't think it was the opponent doing anything , so it must have been humidity. I have even seen it at the DCC . I just watched a big match with Efren and he slow rolled a ball in the final game that rolled off and left his opponent straight in, with plenty of balls to win that went in, he somehow dogged it. Up until that shot , the balls seemed to be rolling straight and both of them had shot similar shots a bit earlier in the match , he just scratched his head like wtf.