Four Types of 1P Shots

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Steve Booth, As administator of this site, I would think it would be incumbent upon you to plug up the hole that allows "the Deek" and "Casper" to edit posts to suit their warped sense of humor.

In the UNLIKELY event they reach my age, and lofty stature in life, they will be lucky if they can still slobber in their pablum, let alone be as mentally sharp as "yours truely".

Dick <---just hates to brag Chicago/Detroit style. :D

Dick,

I give my solemn word to you and everyone on this site. I will not alter quoted posts for the rest of this year. I only did it once anyway, and didn't mean to trap you.

And you did it once also, in case you forgot. Now it's just you and the Ghost, mano a mano. Have at it fellers. And I did not wait the customary 30 minutes for editing because I have yard work to do now.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Dennis.........I've yelled at Dick before for stealing my - 'editing of posts' comedy device that I invented...:cool:....but this editing job that you did here on this post was entertaining enough to read, that I don't mind you using my routine....;)

- Ghost

Ghost,

I knew that I remembered writing something funny at least once on this site. And Leno, Letterman, Carson, Paar, Murphy, & Carlin can kiss my butt. Post #21 is funnier than anything they ever said. And I was complimented by you, that was the best part. And accidently trapping SJD. And Skin, even though he denied knowledge of anything the next day.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Boring? Who Said We Were Boring?

Boring? Who Said We Were Boring?

Just to liven things up a little bit for oldroller here's an informative post from some genius. And comments by his students. Post #21 is particularly informative and delightful. See if you can find skin's missing posts that I quoted before they disappeared.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Excellent post Artie.
dennis ressurecting this post might make artie think he wont have the best of your game (high praise from the exalted one) .could you resurrect the double bank thread for me please? i know discussing one pocket shots and strategy is not a topic we seem to be covering lately but for those of us that wont play 6 ahead for $100-$105 we still want to try and improve our game and learn.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
you guys are a riot . i need 10-4 to try to keep up and thats no joke:eek: dick very doulble innuendo using pablum in you r post above
Pablum is a processed cereal for infants originally marketed by the Mead Johnson Company in 1931. The trademarked name is a contracted form of the Latin word pabulum, meaning "foodstuff". The name is also used metaphorically, especially in literary criticism, to refer to something bland, unappetizing, or with little content value.

probably went over their heads.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
you guys are a riot . i need 10-4 to try to keep up and thats no joke:eek: .

lll,

I may have had more fun that night than a man should have. SJD getting confused until I pm'ed him. Then going for my offer to stake the Ghost against him for $1000 even though he had just been hoodwinked by me.

And Skin's disappearing posts that I was fortunate enough to quote. And obviously, post# you-know-what made it all worthwhile and started the ball rolling.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
lll,

I may have had more fun that night than a man should have. SJD getting confused until I pm'ed him. Then going for my offer to stake the Ghost against him for $1000 even though he had just been hoodwinked by me.

And Skin's disappearing posts that I was fortunate enough to quote. And obviously, post# you-know-what made it all worthwhile and started the ball rolling.

Dennis

RBL,

It is well known that people with genius level IQ's, (that would be moi) are routinely victimized by adolescent pranks, as they don't waste their time trying to disect the low-level jibberish foisted upon them.

There is no doubt in my mind, that FOR YOU RBL, post #21 was probably the literary and comedic highlight of your ENTIRE LIFE. (much less on these forums)

The mere fact that you idolize an apparition,(THE GHOST) who has to laugh at his own weak attempts at humor, (because nobody else will, except you) tells me you both suffer from major delusional problems, and quite probably severe sexual deprivation, since you both fantasize about absolutely unnatainable levels in that area. (Shanelle Lorain)

I suggest, you both plan a trip to Phoenix, were I will be glad to arrainge an "attitude adjustment" with one "Bubbles" LeFluer.

I will have to convince her that you are both "normal" heterosexuals (she doesn't do perverts) I would do this, as a fellow forum member, even though I would have serious reservations about one of you.

Then you would both have new "highlights" in your life, and would be forever grateful to me, for opening a whole new world to you.

San

PS I must require $1000 pre-payment apiece, (wire transfer only) so I can secure "Bubble's" services for the evening of your choice.

PPS... You may have noticed, I have reached new heights of boredom..., due to lack of intellectual stimuli, on these forums of late.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
RBL,
There is no doubt in my mind, that FOR YOU RBL, post #21 was probably the literary and comedic highlight of your ENTIRE LIFE. (much less on these forums)

SJD

Well now that you mention it, it was quite entertaining. It fooled you as I recall. Which is definitely difficult to do.

P.S. What does "Bubbles" look like anyway?

Deek

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
SJD

Well now that you mention it, it was quite entertaining. It fooled you as I recall. Which is definitely difficult to do.

P.S. What does "Bubbles" look like anyway?

Deek

Dennis,
Bubbles is effervescent !
Rod. <-- knows her younger sister, Sparkles (short for sparkling)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
PPS... You may have noticed, I have reached new heights of boredom..., due to lack of intellectual stimuli, on these forums of late.

I've got something that will alleviate your boredom and 'stimuli' your intellect. Why don't you learn how to post a pic? I'd be glad to help. Of course I'd need a $1000 pre-payment on the lesson, but I guarantee it would be worth it.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
I said that if I remembered on Monday, that I would post my own (whacky) theory on one aspect of the game. Well I remembered and you're all in trouble now. Let's just hope this thread does not devolve into name calling and insults being hurled. I'll start by saying that the break is the fifth type of shot. That way no one has to point it out to me. As I see it, the four types of one-pocket shots are:

1. Offensive. These are running balls in your pocket with no regard to playing safe if you should miss. These are shots that you fully expect to make and should make, no matter the game or opponent.

2. Defensive. These are purely defense. You are in trouble and must get out of it. There are no other opportunities except to prolong the game another inning. Or you may not be in trouble but there's still nothing to do that can help you at all. 100% defense.

3. Offensive-Defensive. These are shots that you are sending toward your pocket, but they are difficult shots, so you are playing the cueball safe if you should miss because the odds of missing are high. These are primarily offensive and secondarily defensive shots.

4. Defensive-Offensive. The main purpose of these shots is to play safe. But you also have an opportunity to send something towards your pocket in the process. Again, primarily defensive and secondarily offensive. If something drops in your pocket on this type of shot it's a bonus but not entirely unexpected.

Now for my whacky theory that forces me to shoot the right shot(for me), no matter the game, opponent, bet, winning-losing status, or anything else. And before I tell it, I'll say one more thing. It takes a high bet to make me play my best. I don't shoot at white flags for cheap but I've always played better for more money. That's a fault of mine, but one that I'm happy to have as opposed to the opposite fault.

My theory is this: If you played 1000 games with an opponent who is your equal in every way, you will win 500 games and lose 500 games. In those 1000 games you will get, ON AVERAGE PER GAME, so many of each type of the four shots that I mentioned . If you have an offensive shot but pass on it for any reason, that's one less offensive shot, on average, that you will have for that game.

If you shoot at your hole when the correct shot is to play defense, that is one less defensive shot that you will have for that game.

The same is true for the other two types of shots. And you may think that you can pass up a shot, of any type, and make up for it later, but in the long run, you cannot do that. That's why you have an average of each type of shot.

Think of it like this: If you pass up one offensive shot per game that you probably should shoot given your talent level, that is 1000 less shots at your pocket for the session. And if your opponent is shooting at the ones he should, that's a 2000 shot swing for the session.

Thinking like this helps force you to shoot the correct shot for the situation that you are in. At least it helps me. But I'm kind of goofy anyway.

Bottom line is this, decide which type of shot you are faced with and then shoot it. It's tough being honest with yourself. It's tough ducking when you want to fire at your hole. And it's tough to fire at your hole when you want to duck. We've all been there. And every now and then you might get away with it. But ON AVERAGE, you will not.

So ends the lesson on my whacky theories. Unless I remember something else and do a little editing.

P.S. It's your turn Rod.

Here's a thread for the newbies. It doesn't get hijacked for awhile:) . Post #21 will always be my favorite:D .

Dennis

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
Here's a thread for the newbies. It doesn't get hijacked for awhile:) . Post #21 will always be my favorite:D .

Dennis

hehe.. I read post 21 and within a millisecond of reading the 1st sentence, I thought "This is not something Artie wrote... it had to been doctored up like Ghost likes to do"

It is fun to read old threads again:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
I said that if I remembered on Monday, that I would post my own (whacky) theory on one aspect of the game. Well I remembered and you're all in trouble now. Let's just hope this thread does not devolve into name calling and insults being hurled. I'll start by saying that the break is the fifth type of shot. That way no one has to point it out to me. As I see it, the four types of one-pocket shots are:

1. Offensive. These are running balls in your pocket with no regard to playing safe if you should miss. These are shots that you fully expect to make and should make, no matter the game or opponent.

2. Defensive. These are purely defense. You are in trouble and must get out of it. There are no other opportunities except to prolong the game another inning. Or you may not be in trouble but there's still nothing to do that can help you at all. 100% defense.

3. Offensive-Defensive. These are shots that you are sending toward your pocket, but they are difficult shots, so you are playing the cueball safe if you should miss because the odds of missing are high. These are primarily offensive and secondarily defensive shots.

4. Defensive-Offensive. The main purpose of these shots is to play safe. But you also have an opportunity to send something towards your pocket in the process. Again, primarily defensive and secondarily offensive. If something drops in your pocket on this type of shot it's a bonus but not entirely unexpected.

Now for my whacky theory that forces me to shoot the right shot(for me), no matter the game, opponent, bet, winning-losing status, or anything else. And before I tell it, I'll say one more thing. It takes a high bet to make me play my best. I don't shoot at white flags for cheap but I've always played better for more money. That's a fault of mine, but one that I'm happy to have as opposed to the opposite fault.

My theory is this: If you played 1000 games with an opponent who is your equal in every way, you will win 500 games and lose 500 games. In those 1000 games you will get, ON AVERAGE PER GAME, so many of each type of the four shots that I mentioned . If you have an offensive shot but pass on it for any reason, that's one less offensive shot, on average, that you will have for that game.

If you shoot at your hole when the correct shot is to play defense, that is one less defensive shot that you will have for that game.

The same is true for the other two types of shots. And you may think that you can pass up a shot, of any type, and make up for it later, but in the long run, you cannot do that. That's why you have an average of each type of shot.

Think of it like this: If you pass up one offensive shot per game that you probably should shoot given your talent level, that is 1000 less shots at your pocket for the session. And if your opponent is shooting at the ones he should, that's a 2000 shot swing for the session.

Thinking like this helps force you to shoot the correct shot for the situation that you are in. At least it helps me. But I'm kind of goofy anyway.

Bottom line is this, decide which type of shot you are faced with and then shoot it. It's tough being honest with yourself. It's tough ducking when you want to fire at your hole. And it's tough to fire at your hole when you want to duck. We've all been there. And every now and then you might get away with it. But ON AVERAGE, you will not.

So ends the lesson on my whacky theories. Unless I remember something else and do a little editing.

P.S. It's your turn Rod.
I just figured it was about time to resurrect this thread as it may be helpful to newer players of the game. Post #21 is particularly enlightening:p .

Dennis

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The right shot being the shot you can make without selling out. Is a two way shot, offensive defensive, even though the majority of the shot is offensive leading to another shot?