forum upgrade

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It is strange to me, that the post number you are talking about does show up in the "Posts" view, but if I go to the "Latest" view, then the number is gone lol. And that little blue icon that Miller highlights (thank you) doesn't show up in all of the views either. It does seem like the vBulletin peeps are a little all over the place in their viewing options -- almost like there are too many options. I would suggest -- and I think everyone who is a regular visitor will do this in their own way -- finding your own preferred way to view posts, using whichever viewing option you like, and make that a habit.

In the meantime on the admin side we will continue to try to improve the defaults to the generally preferred settings as much as possible. And for everyone, thank you for your patience and sticking with it!!

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
I think I found a clue to the post timestamp problem. In user settings, Day Light Saving Time, dropdown selections are not registered correctly. I had to select "DST Always Off", in order to see corrected timestamps. Always On or Automatic should work.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think I found a clue to the post timestamp problem. In user settings, Day Light Saving Time, dropdown selections are not registered correctly. I had to select "DST Always Off", in order to see corrected timestamps. Always On or Automatic should work.

Yes, that's what I thought too, but I have the server settings at GMT - 5:00 (Eastern Time) and also my personal settings are the same but it keeps posting an hour into the future lol. I posted on their support forums, waiting to hear back, thanks for the suggestion oldschool ~

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Pic test :)

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Miller, Howdy;

beatle...my man...

click on this.....(i couldn't figure it out either ;))

That little blue box with the triangles in it(what you have circled and the red arrow pointing to), is to go the the last post in that thread.

hank

beatle

Verified Member
good job cincy you got most of my issues fixed. so hats off to you. i can live with the changes. and thanks to steve for working through things for all.

beatle

Verified Member
only two i have left is the pics not opening big like ghost says. and

the large amount of stickies in the forum you have to scroll down every time. lets bunch them up and if they are for new members mostly make them read them before joining and posting. have them in one large sticky.

there is a sticky in the members forum that hasnt had a post in 5 years.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
only two i have left is the pics not opening big like ghost says. and

the large amount of stickies in the forum you have to scroll down every time. lets bunch them up and if they are for new members mostly make them read them before joining and posting. have them in one large sticky.

there is a sticky in the members forum that hasnt had a post in 5 years.

Thanks for the feedback beatle ~

Yes, the main issue still is the uploads / post photos and to fix it, we have to run some scripts on the database to convert the collation type to all be the same, UTF-8. I have personally never done this sort of thing before so we are looking for assistance from either VBulletin, our host (MDD). Also since its a little more involved, I am trying to plan a good time to tackle it where I can focus only on this while someone is available to help to the same time.

The same thing is also causing the funky characters you will see in the posts sometimes. Like instead of "What's" it will be "What?s" or similar things like that.

Hoping both will be solved with the one fix, coming as soon as we can!

The stickies, I agree with you beatle, we need to maybe manage them better in one thread (or most of them) but let's see what Steve thinks and we can try to improve it ~

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks for the feedback beatle ~

Yes, the main issue still is the uploads / post photos and to fix it, we have to run some scripts on the database to convert the collation type to all be the same, UTF-8. I have personally never done this sort of thing before so we are looking for assistance from either VBulletin, our host (MDD). Also since its a little more involved, I am trying to plan a good time to tackle it where I can focus only on this while someone is available to help to the same time.

The same thing is also causing the funky characters you will see in the posts sometimes. Like instead of "What's" it will be "What?s" or similar things like that.

Hoping both will be solved with the one fix, coming as soon as we can!

The stickies, I agree with you beatle, we need to maybe manage them better in one thread (or most of them) but let's see what Steve thinks and we can try to improve it ~

Yes, I am also in favor of less sticky clog up at the top. I would think by now vBulletin would have some options -- such as, at the very least only showing one time per visit, and not showing at all -- ever -- on pages 2, 3 etc beyond page 1.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
My observation is the stickies clog the page more on my phone. I also noticed that a sticky moves to the top of the page when a new post is made. I post a lot of video links so the first thing mobile users see is video links that take you to another part of the web. Although handy for us stream junkies, I dont know if that is a good thing for the forums in general. I noticed the stream sticky already has over 5k views if I'm seeing that right. That might be good for the forums or not if they come and immediately go. Maybe someone could look at what kind of unique viewers the stickies get and get a better idea of what should be done with each one.

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
Would it be possible to show the names of "users online" as opposed to or including with their avatars?
As it is now you have to hover your mouse over each avatar to see the name.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Would it be possible to show the names of "users online" as opposed to or including with their avatars?
As it is now you have to hover your mouse over each avatar to see the name.

Not sure how to do it in the "What's Going On?" module at the bottom of the page but if you actually click on the link that says users online or the link at the top that says "Who's online" it takes you to the detailed page:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/online

That shows avatars and names. I will see if there is a way to show names on the other too.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Yes, I am also in favor of less sticky clog up at the top. I would think by now vBulletin would have some options -- such as, at the very least only showing one time per visit, and not showing at all -- ever -- on pages 2, 3 etc beyond page 1.

....rather than redesign the software or make any changes to configuration.... why don't you just have one "sticky" post at the top of the forum and inside that one sticky post... you put links to the 4 or 5 threads that you want to be "stickies"?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I just tried it... Being able to copy and paste a photo in a post is a huge upgrade and time saver IMO

Yea its quicker for sure!

The only thing I am not 100% on is if the images we copy and paste stay put. Like for example if I copy the URL of an image on a website and paste it here, that image will go away of the image from the original server is taken down. I don't know if that affects copy and paste or not to be honest.

Also, with uploading photos directly to the forums, it uses up the server space (which we always are near the top of like 90%+ full), so anytime I can post an image and not sue the server space I try to do it!

IMGUR is my picture hosting site of choice but there are others too. There is a how to in the sticky if interested.

I digress....now if I go to a website and just right click an image and choose (copy) and then come to this post and right click (paste) like this:

Quick and easy, but will this always remain here and does it use up server space? Im not sure on either count but I will try to find out!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
CK, when I first looked at your post below, there was only a little "square" where the image should be. But once I right-clicked and selected "view image" the image showed. Even after I went to another thread, then came back, the image still was there.

I haven't experimented with it, but does the image icon in the task bar allow for adding a copied image?

~Doc