forum upgrade

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
LOL, some of you guys crack me up!

Ok, for anything color related, you can change it yourself! Just scroll down and choose the style / colors you want. Everyone may want different things and this allows for that.

Secondly, beatle I hate to say it bro but Firefox? If I could give you one good piece of advice computer / internet related, please switch to Google Chrome, its so much better....right now 70% of people use Chrome...less than 8% use Firefox and its dropping. Its easy, free and quick to do! :)

Also for the fonts being too small, you can always increase / magnify your entire screen making everything larger. In Chrome you can do this in the upper right corner, click the 3 dots and its under zoom, enlage to your liking. The shortcut you can use is CTRL and + to increase and CTRL and - to decrease. I am also looking into the admin control panel to find a way to increase the font size globally,I think it's too small too, just have to change the styles, I am on it!

And yes, PMs are here along with notifications anytime replies to a thread you are in or quotes you, its pretty spiffy so far from what I have seen!

They did make some changes over the years with their software so for example the order of the threads, you cant change it to oldest first or newest first. Instead they incorporated something called LATEST ACTIVITY which we have talked about already. You can set that preference in your profile options too!

Also another thing that it looks like doesn't work with the new software is tapatalk for anyone who uses that (Mitch does I know). I saw a few people complaining about it when i was researching it but there could be a work around out there I have not found yet....still searching!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy, Howdy;

An interesting thing was mentioned by Whitey, It seems that a few of the Links from the old Header are missing
like the link to the Rules and for those just starting out, the basics I guess you might refer to them as ...
Just something to add to the pile while you're busy trying to drain the swamp while up to yer butt in 'gators.

hank

Yes, the menu items at the top were never part of vbulletin. It was a custom header I set up to try to imitate our main site: onepocket.org. It's not compatible with the new version so although I am still looking into setting it up the same way I had it before, I can add those menu items in now and they would be the same format / look as the ones there now (Forums & Events) and will do so, just haven't gotten to it yet!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ok just found a variable called root_font_size and changed it from 62% (default) to 100%..made it MUCH larger...I am thinking that's too large, what do you guys think? :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
For those who are having trouble with the fonts and vague characters, the "Denim" selection is much easier to read, and it's larger/bolder. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page on the left. There is a menu with a down arrow. Open it and select "Denim". There are others to try as well. Jimmy suggested it, and it's much easier to read.

As far as Firefox, it's an excellent browser, and should allow full viewing of any feature on this site. I like Firefox because it's open source, meaning it's constantly protected by thousands of techs against hacker attack and malware. The new "Brave" browser is supposed to be pretty good as well in terms of privacy, but I haven't investigated it. Google Chrome is a good browser, but it's full of spyware. Anything having to do with Google, you might as well copy all your correspondence and web visits to the National Chamber of Commerce and each of the intelligence agencies.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
For those who are having trouble with the fonts and vague characters, the "Denim" selection is much easier to read, and it's larger/bolder. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page on the left. There is a menu with a down arrow. Open it and select "Denim". There are others to try as well. Jimmy suggested it, and it's much easier to read.

As far as Firefox, it's an excellent browser, and should allow full viewing of any feature on this site. I like Firefox because it's open source, meaning it's constantly protected by thousands of techs against hacker attack and malware. The new "Brave" browser is supposed to be pretty good as well in terms of privacy, but I haven't investigated it. Google Chrome is a good browser, but it's full of spyware. Anything having to do with Google, you might as well copy all your correspondence and web visits to the National Chamber of Commerce and each of the intelligence agencies.

Glad you are liking the Denim style, I am using it right now myself but I like switching between them to see what they look like...

As far as FireFox, I used it for years and as a web developer you had to because you had to make sure the site looked good in all the browsers. IE was the worst at having little quirks show up that didn't in other browsers...I digress...now a days its become a Google world. Although I am with you that I dont want people spying on me, but it think in 2019 if people want to hack you they will find a way to do it. Its sad but true...

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
I hate to be a negative Nellie, but I don't like this upgrade. It's ugly, confusing and it's difficult to navigate. I suppose a person can get used to anything, but right know it's a pain in the neck. Perhaps when the wrinkles are ironed out it'll be better. I'm not sure why it had to be changed.

~Doc

agree with this 100 percent
ugly, confusing, and hard to navigate
when the old one was just perfect

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
agree with this 100 percent
ugly, confusing, and hard to navigate
when the old one was just perfect

Give me some specifics please on what is confusing and what is hard to navigate so I can look into addressing them.

Its the same for me, I hit new topic for new thread or reply to reply. As far as ugly, change the colors or style yourself, its easy! :)

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Chris, I like the font size. I would like to be able to go to last page of posts. I like to see the latest comments on posts that I am following.

Also, every now and then, someone has a post that I like to print(such as Ghost's Onepocket strategies). I could in the past click on the # of the post and be able to print just that post. I am unable to do that now.

Am I missing the emojis LOL LOL :rolleyes::eek: I found them :p

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thank you all for your patience while we figure this out -- it is a lot more different than I was expecting too :)

Also thanks again Cincy for working on this to get it more to our members liking.

The thing about our old version is that it was almost 10 year software, which is pretty ancient in terms of internet programing! I am hoping we can continue to iron out the details so it works well for our members. I think we can, but like I said above, thank you for your patience!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Chris, I like the font size. I would like to be able to go to last page of posts. I like to see the latest comments on posts that I am following.

Also, every now and then, someone has a post that I like to print(such as Ghost's Onepocket strategies). I could in the past click on the # of the post and be able to print just that post. I am unable to do that now.

Am I missing the emojis LOL LOL

Hey Robert, glad the font size is good for you! They changed the way the software works so now in order to see the latest posts first you can do 2 things:

1) At the very top of the forums there is a link "LATEST ACTIVITY", click that to see the latest posts.

2) You can also go into your profile and set it so that is your default:
  1. Click My Settings on the drop down menu seen by clicking your name at the very top of the screen
  2. Click on "Edit Settings".
  3. Click on "ACCOUNT" tab at top
  4. Scroll down to where it says "Conversation Detail Options" and click the Latest Activity button
  5. Save the settings
This should change it to your default view.

As far as clicking the post number to print it, I see when you click now it gives you the link to share to someone..if you go to that link it takes you straight to the post. It looks liek they removed it in version 4 for SEO purposes (not sure all the details). What I would suggest is just copying and pasting the post into a new Google Doc and print it or Word or whatever program you have for text.

Hope that helps!

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Cincy, Howdy;

Ok just found a variable called root_font_size and changed it from 62% (default) to 100%..made it MUCH larger...I am thinking that's too large, what do you guys think? :)

Thinkin' it takes up a lot of screen, maybe 75% or 80 % would get into the comfortable area without it feeling like it's in-yer-face. I tried the 3 dots
inna right corner but it changed it for ALL my different pages/forums/ whatever. Careful, think there may be another 'gator behind ya...

hank

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy, Howdy;

Thinkin' it takes up a lot of screen, maybe 75% or 80 % would get into the comfortable area without it feeling like it's in-yer-face. I tried the 3 dots
inna right corner but it changed it for ALL my different pages/forums/ whatever. Careful, think there may be another 'gator behind ya...

hank

Thanks for the feedback Hank!

yes the zoom feature (3 dots) will zoom every page on every site for you. Its good for me when im at home on my smaller chromebook, I zoom it up for everything so I can see without squinting. :)

Im good with lowering it to 75 or 80%, lets see if anyone else chimes in and Ill switch it over tonight or tomorrow to check o the feedback.

PS - as Steve pointed out, thanks for everyone's patience, I know change isn't easy (for any of us)! Were all on the same team here with our love of one pocket and building this great community we have! We will get the kinks ironed out best we can, I promise!

beatle

Verified Member
well its working for me the same as everyone now. so my personal gripes are over.
new gripes==
i have to scroll down 3 full pages to get to the list of posts. one page is a pic of one pocket logo next is two full pages of stickies. why do i/we have to see them every time we visit. why not make one sticky with all of them listed within.??
font size is great but may be too big as not much over one post fits on a page. cant we control it within the site without making our computer all screwed up?

before,, you opened the site and the list of recent threads were all in front of you and you opened which ones you wanted and they each showed if you had posted in it before and took you to that exact spot. very simple. and i knew the order of them and where to go. now that seems gone.
more to come as i get more confused.
but its coming along and its obvious we are not going back to the simple v bulletin so have to live with this.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I’m with the Doc on this Cincy, it’s very confusing to an old guy like me... Sorry, but I don’t want to have to try and navigate thru whatever needs to be navigated thru, I just wanna log in and be able to see things easily... browse if I so choose and post occasionally if I find something interesting or just want to express an opinion.. Which as of now seems difficult... Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks.... plus I’m just plain lazy...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
well its working for me the same as everyone now. so my personal gripes are over.
new gripes==
i have to scroll down 3 full pages to get to the list of posts. one page is a pic of one pocket logo next is two full pages of stickies. why do i/we have to see them every time we visit. why not make one sticky with all of them listed within.??
font size is great but may be too big as not much over one post fits on a page. cant we control it within the site without making our computer all screwed up?

before,, you opened the site and the list of recent threads were all in front of you and you opened which ones you wanted and they each showed if you had posted in it before and took you to that exact spot. very simple. and i knew the order of them and where to go. now that seems gone.
more to come as i get more confused.
but its coming along and its obvious we are not going back to the simple v bulletin so have to live with this.

Glad the experience is improving for you beatle!

As far as your new items, the larger onepocket.org logo is my fault, I uploaded it too large thinking it would resize down smaller but its really doing it so I will upload a new smaller one today!

The sticky idea is a pretty good idea I think beatle! The only downside is, the purpose of a sticky is so that when someone new to the site comes in, it's one of the first posts they see. Things like respect and introducing themselves, etc...for those of us that have been here for a while we know about them already but new people would have no idea to click into a separate thread to get to the stickies.

Maybe we could leave a couple of them up there and the rest stick into a thread called "IMPORTANT FORUM INFO" or something similar. I will defer to Steve on that one as he has had it set up this way for some time. Steve, thoughts?

I am with you too on the font size, maybe a little too large, I will shrink it down as you and hank are the only 2 that really commented on the size, we will shrink it some today and get some more feedback!

As far as the thread order, personally I have always had mine set up as when I click in a thread, it shows the first thread first and then I just click to the last page to see the new ones (that's just my personal preference). More people it seems would rather have the newest stuff first which I understand. All you have to do is at the top, click LATEST ACTIVITY and it will do just that. If you don't want to have to click that each time, you can set it as your default in your options by following these instructions:
  1. Click My Settings on the drop down menu seen by clicking your name at the very top of the screen
  2. Click on "Edit Settings".
  3. Click on "ACCOUNT" tab at top
  4. Scroll down to where it says "Conversation Detail Options" and click the Latest Activity button
  5. Save the settings
Anytime you are in a thread you can see its your post because the background color changes to a different color.

You can also click SUBSCRIBE at the top right in any thread that really interests you. What that will do is, every time a new post is made there it will notify you. Whether it be sending you an email to let you know there has been a new post in the thread and/or under notifications at the top of the forum.

Hope this helps, thanks!