For all the people who read this.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Tell us about your most interesting and exiting pool match or session you played in your life? The game you will always remember. Your number one favor it pool game you played?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I'm sure they're are much more exciting stories, but here's mine.

I think my favorite game was just last year. I played in a tournament and needed to win one more game to get into the finals. The guy I was playing needed 2 balls to win and I needed 11. I was able to come back and win the game and match.

My favorite session was the first time I bet it up. There is a guy at my old hall who would only bet 1-200 per game. We had never played before and I did not usually bet that much. We had a long session and ended up at. 250 a game. I came out 750 ahead and did not crumble for the cash. That session took my confidence and my belief in my ability to play for the cash up a level.

Btw- Artie- let's hear yours :)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member

I think my favorite game was just last year. I played in a tournament and needed to win one more game to get into the finals. The guy I was playing needed 2 balls to win and I needed 11. I was able to come back and win the game and match.

My favorite session was the first time I bet it up. There is a guy at my old hall who would only bet 1-200 per game. We had never played before and I did not usually bet that much. We had a long session and ended up at. 250 a game. I came out 750 ahead and did not crumble for the cash. That session took my confidence and my belief in my ability to play for the cash up a level.

Winning is the greatest confidence builder. I put the tread up because I thought people would love to tell about one of there adventures. And us old timers had quite a few of those And it takes time to think about them. Because it takes us back many years. I hope a lot of people will share. Because this is about you and your magic moment.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Here's one of mine.
I was going through central California. back in the mid seventies, I think it was Modesto.
I was in a game of one hole and I was up a few games. This particular game he was four balls to the good and had all the balls within a foot and a half from his hole with a couple of them being hangers and I was corner hooked up table on his side.

I decided to take a few fouls leaving the cue ball in place where it was. He followed suit and spotted his four balls plus owing one more. I then pushed out to what I thought would be the hardest shot for him but it was really a very easy shot. well he missed and I ran about ten played safe spotted my balls and got out on the next inning.

He's backer pulled out after that game telling his player "if you can't win that game you're not going to win any game".

P.S. Glad to have you back Artie.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Artie

Artie

Tell us about your most interesting and exiting pool match or session you played in your life? The game you will always remember. Your number one favor it pool game you played?

You and I have played twice Artie, once in Texas about five years back when you beat me in a 12 1/2 hour session, and then again at Derby City when I beat you after a 14 hour session.

Not bad for a couple old guys and I learned moves from watching you I still use today.

I have had many exciting moments in my pool life and some of them after I turned 70 years old. The matches with you, finishing 7th/8th at the US Open One Pocket three years ago, and beating Shane Van Boening 3/1 in front of the home crowd at Hard Times last October at the Markulis Memorial Tournament.

I hope I am not done yet.:D

crazysnake

Verified Member
Re: For all the people who read this.

There is a guy I play even. I've played him for about the last 6 months or so. I've won a few games here and there but he always comes out on top. Last weekend we played and he stuck me pretty good. He quit because he got tired of kicking my ass (his words). It really stung. I thought very carefully about my shot selection, strategy and how to get out of his break (he likes the rail first into the side of the rack break). I played him on Saturday, and after I lost I spent a lot, almost all, of my time constructively thinking about how I lost. The next day, Sunday, I came back fresh with a new plan and I turned it around. He quit me when I was 3 games ahead. I told him when I was ahead 2 games (3-1) that he would have to play his very best game to beat me today. After he quit I didn't rub it in, I was elated, and I thanked him for the opportunity to have played my best. This was not a money game, but strictly local room pride and I was the underdog.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
one pocket game

one pocket game

I played a guy named Julius Cottman $50 a game onepocket.I had 150.00 on me . He won the first 2 games easy.The next game he needed one ball and had a ball in his pocket that was too deep to hit out. I tried a tough bank and missed it but the ball hung in my pocket. I walked away thinking where I was going to get more money to play. When I turned around and saw his ball was still in his of his pocket I realized he hit my ball away. This time I made a tough bank and ran the next 6 balls and followed the cue ball in his pocket. I won that game and 11 more in a row. From loosing 150.00 to winning 450.00 this was in the middle 60's. 450.00 was considered a big score back then. This wasn't the biggest win I made but it was the most memorable. The old days were the best. You could always find action. This took place in Baltimore,MD.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
You and I have played twice Artie, once in Texas about five years back when you beat me in a 12 1/2 hour session, and then again at Derby City when I beat you after a 14 hour session.

Not bad for a couple old guys and I learned moves from watching you I still use today.

I have had many exciting moments in my pool life and some of them after I turned 70 years old. The matches with you, finishing 7th/8th at the US Open One Pocket three years ago, and beating Shane Van Boening 3/1 in front of the home crowd at Hard Times last October at the Markulis Memorial Tournament.

I hope I am not done yet.:D
John your never done. Because in your mind your just beginning. And I am glade that you enjoyed playing me so much. And even when you won. I was happy and glade for you. Because I seen what a great feeling it gave you.And all the joy and happiness winning gave you. Like the little kid in the school yard. And it showed. You feel like the world belongs to you. I no I have been there Its the best high and the greatest feeling in the world. And you look to get the same feeling playing someone else. But its just not there. And it gives you energy and strength.I hope other people get that same feeling. Once you get that feeling you keep looking to get it again. And you cannot buy that feeling. You have to earn it. Winning is good But winning and feeling good is the climax. Your a classy man. Don't ever let that Magical child inside of you go. If you do you wont want to play pool anymore. As long as that magical child in you you will play tell you are 100 years old. And you will feel like you are just starting to learn and play. And all the aces and pains cant stop you. Because your heart and desire will over come all the aces and pain. Stay just the way you are. Don't let those young women make you too weak to play. Like the fighters. Good luck champ.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Stories

Stories

I've got a few

I played short rack banks for about 2 1/2 hours with one of the best bankers around, I was down 6 games. I asked for a ball spot (making it a 5 to 4 race) and won 4 straight. Then for another 45 minutes or so it went back and forth before he finally quit, I was down 2 games and felt like a winner. All the people watching said the same thing to me - "You did a lot better than we expected".

About 6 months into learning playing One Pocket, Playing one of the stronger one pocket players around, he was spotting me 10 to 5. Playing on a really tight table and $20 a game. Games are going back and forth followed with me going ahead a game, then 2 games, then ahead 3. I'm so focused and in the zone playing, one shot I missed I stood at the head of the table and looked up to see 60 or 70 people were watching us play. I was so focused I didn't even notice a crowd watching. I ended up ahead $40 when we quit, a long with my opponent - several other people I play one pocket with all said the same thing - "I can't play you the same spot after watching you play like that". Its nothing impressive but I'll remember it.

Back in college, been playing pool less then 2 years, fraternity brothers and I go to a bar to pregame before going to a party. I put quarters up on the pool table before getting a beer. There were only 2 games to wait on before I was up and they took FOREVER. Finally I'm up but everyone's ready to go to the party, I tell them give me a minute and I'll make it quick. The guy broke dry, I ran out to the 8 but was hooked behind a full ball, called the 8, masse'd around the blocker and made the 8. I laid the cue on the table and went to the party feeling pretty damn good.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member

That's great and its always fun counting your money after you win. Looking to win more.I hope you have more of these great times.These are the events that make your life worth living.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
I've got a few

I played short rack banks for about 2 1/2 hours with one of the best bankers around, I was down 6 games. I asked for a ball spot (making it a 5 to 4 race) and won 4 straight. Then for another 45 minutes or so it went back and forth before he finally quit, I was down 2 games and felt like a winner. All the people watching said the same thing to me - "You did a lot better than we expected".

About 6 months into learning playing One Pocket, Playing one of the stronger one pocket players around, he was spotting me 10 to 5. Playing on a really tight table and $20 a game. Games are going back and forth followed with me going ahead a game, then 2 games, then ahead 3. I'm so focused and in the zone playing, one shot I missed I stood at the head of the table and looked up to see 60 or 70 people were watching us play. I was so focused I didn't even notice a crowd watching. I ended up ahead $40 when we quit, a long with my opponent - several other people I play one pocket with all said the same thing - "I can't play you the same spot after watching you play like that". Its nothing impressive but I'll remember it.

Back in college, been playing pool less then 2 years, fraternity brothers and I go to a bar to pregame before going to a party. I put quarters up on the pool table before getting a beer. There were only 2 games to wait on before I was up and they took FOREVER. Finally I'm up but everyone's ready to go to the party, I tell them give me a minute and I'll make it quick. The guy broke dry, I ran out to the 8 but was hooked behind a full ball, called the 8, masse'd around the blocker and made the 8. I laid the cue on the table and went to the party feeling pretty damn good.
Any time you play and do something spectacular. Its the greatest feeling you can get. And you will always remember that momunt and place and time. Because how good it made you feel. And going to the party. You got what you needed to gear you up for the party. Very good.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member

After we hear from some of the other people. I no there out there. I don"t no why they are holding back. Every body has outstanding and special event.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Artie; 1983 was my BEST year in tournament play by far, the records I set that weekend had never been broken until, Sang Lee came to play in the USA. BTW, all the records I set were done on the OLD style equipment, NON heated tables, slower cloth and rubber.

This is an excerpt is from an article in the Billiards Digest from 1983, written by the late, George Fels.

"Smith has been on a personal billiards tear over the past two years, dominating the American Billiard Association record books as no American player has dominated since the late Harold Worst. If a record is worth keeping to the A.B.A., it belongs to Bill Smith. Best game 40 points in 12 innings, High personal run: 24. Best tournament average 1.75! Most consecutive tournament game victories: 62, has NEVER been equaled to this day. Throw out his last two appearances in the Nationals, and Bill Smith has reached the Finals of his last 29 tournaments!"

I don’t think the 62 consecutive tournament game WINS, will ever be broken! But I do think if and when I start back to playing, I’ll be a better player than before!

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
1979 beat Earl the Pearl @ Paramount Billiards (Don Brostoski's place) out of 4 sets at $500 a set Race to 11. Roll out 9 ball, swamp coolers, dirty GCII's, Earl came with Monroe Brock and another.

JAM

Verified Member
I beat a girl at Baker's pool room in Greensboro, North Carolina. I was there with a road agent named Geese. While he was in action, I found me some action with somebody's daughter.

Baker's at that time had boasted the best hot dogs in North Carolina. :D

It was my first road trip down South. I felt like I was in Disneyland at Baker's. The place was packed with pool players. Seattle Sam was there, and I remember him crawling up on the table on all fours, like a dog, with one leg straight out, trying to shoot a shot. That's how they used to do it back then. You never see players crawling up on the table today. If they did, it would be shocking. :eek:

Anyway, I beat the girl. It was my first score. It was an exciting time for me, being on the road, gambling. She wasn't that good, and neither was I, but we sure did have fun. Good memories at a time when I was young and dumb and had no responsibilities. I was free as a bird. :)

The rest of the road trip, I met some characters. Groundhog, Rocky Creek in Georgia, a meat thief who was a stakehorse steer, and then none other than Grady Mathews at another Baker's pool room in Tampa. He was driving around in a silver Cadillac that had the points for tail lights. These were the golden years of pool in the '80s.

One thing about it, nobody can take them away from me, my memories. ;)

bstroud

Verified Member
One of the games I will never forget was playing Billy I. in a one pocket tournament at Beanies'.

I had just started making pool cues and wasn't playing my top speed but I had beaten Freddy 12 games of one pocket in a row for 20 dollars a game the day before so I was playing pretty good.

Billy I. and I were tied 3 to 3 in games and in the last game he was running out.

He needed one ball and chose to shoot a 10 into the 9 combo. He really didn't give it his full concentration and missed.

I ran 8 and out with 4 balls in the Kitchen.

He was really hot and cornered me at the counter and asked if I wanted to play some even 9 ball.

I said NO.

I thought he was the best 9 ball player in the world at that time.

Another time I was playing Florian DePaglio 8 to 4 and the break in Des Moines. I was in a real trap but didn't know it until I called Alfie Taylor. I went ahead and played anyway.

We played the first game for 200. He stalled a little and I won it.
The next game I ran 8 and out.

We raised the bet to 400 and he had an easy out. He stalled and rolled his game ball in the jaws of his pocket. All I had to shoot at was a Hail Mary 4 rail bank. I made it and ran out.

He quit.

Those were great days.

Bill S.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One of the games I will never forget was playing Billy I. in a one pocket tournament at Beanies'.

I had just started making pool cues and wasn't playing my top speed but I had beaten Freddy 12 games of one pocket in a row for 20 dollars a game the day before so I was playing pretty good.

Billy I. and I were tied 3 to 3 in games and in the last game he was running out.

He needed one ball and chose to shoot a 10 into the 9 combo. He really didn't give it his full concentration and missed.

I ran 8 and out with 4 balls in the Kitchen.

He was really hot and cornered me at the counter and asked if I wanted to play some even 9 ball.

I said NO.

I thought he was the best 9 ball player in the world at that time.

Another time I was playing Florian DePaglio 8 to 4 and the break in Des Moines. I was in a real trap but didn't know it until I called Alfie Taylor. I went ahead and played anyway.

We played the first game for 200. He stalled a little and I won it.
The next game I ran 8 and out.

We raised the bet to 400 and he had an easy out. He stalled and rolled his game ball in the jaws of his pocket. All I had to shoot at was a Hail Mary 4 rail bank. I made it and ran out.

He quit.

Those were great days.

Bill S.
These are good stories and posts and people will read them when were long gone. And there interesting and mean something to each and every one of us. And people will love to read them. And they will remember your exciting time. And they will see and feel what you felt at the time. And those are the memories we will remember. Because they are special. And have meaning to us. Because they were a part of our life. And people come and go. But your name and story will live on. These are the stories people need to her. Because they have life to them. And people love to her more. Because as they read they want to no what happened. And the suspense and the end of the story. Says what happened. Like at the end of a movie. And its great to her all these different stories. Don't hold back its about you and a great time in your life. About you playing the game you love. Time will pass and they People will be gone. will be gone. All the old pool rooms will be gone and forgotten. And a good peace of history will be lost. Unless we wright it down. Unless people can read about the players and events what happened before. And I am sure that we all no people who are already forgotten. And will not be remembered.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
These are good stories and posts and people will read them when were long gone. And there interesting and mean something to each and every one of us. And people will love to read them. And they will remember your exciting time. And they will see and feel what you felt at the time. And those are the memories we will remember. Because they are special. And have meaning to us. Because they were a part of our life. And people come and go. But your name and story will live on. These are the stories people need to her. Because they have life to them. And people love to her more. Because as they read they want to no what happened. And the suspense and the end of the story. Says what happened. Like at the end of a movie. And its great to her all these different stories. Don't hold back its about you and a great time in your life. About you playing the game you love. Time will pass and they People will be gone. will be gone. All the old pool rooms will be gone and forgotten. And a good peace of history will be lost. Unless we wright it down. Unless people can read about the players and events what happened before. And I am sure that we all no people who are already forgotten. And will not be remembered.
Memories get better the older we get.I will give you one of my more interesting stories. It was early in the morning and I was in Bensingers. And a player walked in and said.Lets play some 50 dollars a game one pocket. I said I am waiting for someone to bring me some money that they owe me. And a real big guy said Artie I will go and get some money I will back you. I will be wright back. And I said okay. And 15 minutes latter he came back and gave me 150 dollars. And I beat the player for 300 hundred dollars. And I said where did you go to get the money. And there were a bunch of sweaters listening. And the backer said. I went down Clark street and gave two pints of blood. For the money. And I said you mean I was playing on blood money.He said yes. From then on every time he walked into Bensingers the sweaters would say. There is Artie's Blood backer. And I liked it because it is different and unusual. Unusual, Its not a big money pool score or a big money pool session. But it is very different.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Memories get better the older we get.I will give you one of my more interesting stories. It was early in the morning and I was in Bensingers. And a player walked in and said.Lets play some 50 dollars a game one pocket. I said I am waiting for someone to bring me some money that they owe me. And a real big guy said Artie I will go and get some money I will back you. I will be wright back. And I said okay. And 15 minutes latter he came back and gave me 150 dollars. And I beat the player for 300 hundred dollars. And I said where did you go to get the money. And there were a bunch of sweaters listening. And the backer said. I went down Clark street and gave two pints of blood. For the money. And I said you mean I was playing on blood money.He said yes. From then on every time he walked into Bensingers the sweaters would say. There is Artie's Blood backer. And I liked it because it is different and unusual. Unusual, Its not a big money pool score or a big money pool session. But it is very different.

That is a great, very different, story! Thanks.

I will add one more because it's timely. One of the most memorable games I ever played was at this past derby. I had stayed up all night playing and it was about 6:00am. I looked over and there was Freddy practicing. I went over and asked him to play banks (for fun) and he was kind enough to say yes. So, overall Freddy killed me but in one of those games I hit him with a 4 and out. 2 long straight backs, then a 2 railer into the opposite corner, then another long straight back into the opposite corner. Freddy looked at me and said "Who am I playin!". I told him that it was seriously thanks to him and his books that I could bank at all, and I meant it. If I live to be a hundred, I will remember my 4 and out against the Beard, and his comment afterwards :))

(I promise, no more stories in this thread lol)