FARGO RATE AND ONE POCKET PREDICTIONS

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i know we have discussed that there may not be a correlation but mike page the founder of fargo rate said this on AZB
looking at high fargo rate players results in onepocket vs lower rated players
bob jewett in a separate post mentioned that chip getting beat by fedor 2:1 (24-12) is about what the fargo rate would have predicted
here is what mike posted
the bold and large font size is from me for emphasis
We've been treating this as an empirical issue, and it is appearing the results are matching pretty well the expectations from the rating differences. Here are the matches in the system between the 820's crowd (SVB, 830; Fedor Gorst, 827; Dennis Orcollo 824; and Carlo Biado, 819) against opponents under 780. There are 212 games total and the big dogs won 138 and lost 74. The expectation from the rating differences is almost exactly this.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Run the algorithm in the Chip v. Roberto matches, where Chip destroyed the higher Fargo Roberto; Evan Lunda v. Josh Roberts, where the higher Fargo rate lost to Lunda. Fargo is good to determine offense, not the whole game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Run the algorithm in the Chip v. Roberto matches, where Chip destroyed the higher Fargo Roberto; Evan Lunda v. Josh Roberts, where the higher Fargo rate lost to Lunda. Fargo is good to determine offense, not the whole game.
dont shoot the messenger .
fargo rates
chip 751
evan 751
josh 777
gomez 788
their fargo numbers are close enough for other factors to play a bigger role
the situation discussed by mike page there was a much larger fargo difference
many people thought chip (751) would win against fedor(827)
he (chip)did not win
it may be that even at this level
if the difference in firepower is too great
the movers dont win
icbw

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
the air in the over 810 fargo land is just different maybe
Like you said, I also think a difference of around 50 or less will cause other factors to make results a little harder to predict. Especially with games like one pocket and banks where knowledge can be a factor.
The 100 or more point differences are going to be a lot more predictable. Knowledge and "moving" are not going to close that gap very often. Especially when you're near the 800 fargo level.

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

BRLongArm

Verified Member
dont shoot the messenger .
fargo rates
chip 751
evan 751
josh 777
gomez 788
their fargo numbers are close enough for other factors to play a bigger role
the situation discussed by mike page there was a much larger fargo difference
many people thought chip (751) would win against fedor(827)
he (chip)did not win
it may be that even at this level
if the difference in firepower is too great
the movers dont win
icbw
Many people? The line was Chip getting 4 games and he needed 12. With respect, "many people's" opinion does not matter to me unless they are willing to put their money behind it. The gamblers made the line at Chip +4. They didn't think Chip would beat the robot.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think Fargo is a good barometer of offensive firepower. It does not show strategic knowledge or defense. That's the problem with the square peg into the round hole. Doesn't mean we can't devise a rating. It just means Fargo is not it. Once we get standardized purses, formats and other conditions, we can probably use the money list as a good barometer. Right now, Buffalos' prize fund swamps the list and whoever wins or places highly there dominates the money list. 1st: Tony Chohan (first on money list), 2nd Alex Pagulayan (2nd on money list), 3rd: Josh Roberts (Fourth on money list), 4th: Fedor Gorst (Third on money list).

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think Fargo is a good barometer of offensive firepower. It does not show strategic knowledge or defense. That's the problem with the square peg into the round hole. Doesn't mean we can't devise a rating. It just means Fargo is not it. Once we get standardized purses, formats and other conditions, we can probably use the money list as a good barometer. Right now, Buffalos' prize fund swamps the list and whoever wins or places highly there dominates the money list. 1st: Tony Chohan (first on money list), 2nd Alex Pagulayan (2nd on money list), 3rd: Josh Roberts (Fourth on money list), 4th: Fedor Gorst (Third on money list).
based on that list do you think josh is better than fedor?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fargo is based on wins and losses
although rotation games are predominately offensive you still have to play defense and get out of traps to win
so do you just dismiss the data presented by mike page?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
look
i love onepocket for its rewards for intellectuality and creativity if you have the cue skills to execute the plan
and i root for the mover since i am not a ball running machine.
but in todays climate of "power "onepocket
and the amount of knowledge thats out there
the straight shooters make the table play smaller because there are less places to hide them from making a shot and taking off.
so if you can mix a world class shooter and give him/her just little bit of brains
they will be tough to beat.
you have to make 8 in your hole before the other guy to win.
as i said previously
if the firepower is close
the other intangibles come more in to play
thats how i see it
but i am open to other opinions to convince me otherwise

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I don't think either format is an accurate barometer. Fargo, because it's for rotation and our money list because the conditions are not uniform, the purses are not the same, so it skewes to Buffalos prize fund because it's so much more than the others. To your point, Fedor is the better player. His wins are better than Josh's wins. And nobody would stake Josh to play him. The gamblers will tell you who the better player is usually.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I don't think either format is an accurate barometer. Fargo, because it's for rotation and our money list because the conditions are not uniform, the purses are not the same, so it skewes to Buffalos prize fund because it's so much more than the others. To your point, Fedor is the better player. His wins are better than Josh's wins. And nobody would stake Josh to play him. The gamblers will tell you who the better player is usually.
I’d believe the LongArm rating over Fargo when it comes to One Pocket
I trust joe’s eyes more than anything 😀😀
he has been around long enough to be a great handicapper
most sports are shifting to “analytitics”
maybe pool is next
just sayin🤓