Do you plan to play in N.O. Member Tourney?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I'll post a more detailed description of how the round robin would work in the next day or two.

Just to be clear, there would be no round robin at the *end*. The round robin would be used at the *beginning* to place players into one of two single elimination brackets, either the High bracket (top 16 from the round robins) or the Low bracket (all others, would have byes). We'd agree to a split of the total pot between the High and Low brackets, with something like 2/3 vs. 1/3 (you want people to want to be in the High bracket).

I think I could prepare a TD package for LSJohn or someone to use if people like the idea and I'm not there.

Cory

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?p=185334#post185334

this option would certainly allow everyone to play the most games with the most people.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
You're right. As I recall, he initially said he would, then found his schedule made it unlikely. I probably should have taken his name off, but it LOOKS so good there. :)

I'd love to watch the two of you match up. I love your games and they look really close to me.

That guy made a ball on the break 3 times in a row. On his fourth attempt, he hung a ball up very close to his hole and I could not knock it away. How can you beat a guy like that, I would like to know?

JoeyA

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Eats.....................

Eats.....................

I think Frank wouldn't mind cooking some steaks for everyone along with a baked potato but he does not boil seafood or cook seafood. We would just need to know in advance, what kind of steaks we want and if we want sweet potato or irish potato.

They do have hamburgers, French fries, chips, dip, hot dogs, and a few other snack items that they prepare in their kitchen.

Frank said, if we purchase boiled seafood on our own, he will let us use tables inside of Lacy's to sit, eat and drink. Of course we will purchase all of our drinks at Lacy's and I know that goes without saying but thought I would include it anyway.

There are some nice local places nearby, some high-end and some blue plate "local" places along with the traditional chains like Wendy's, Cane's, Mcdonald's, Taco Bell etc. Rocky & Carlos's is a very well known "local" place near Lacy's cue.

JoeyA

NO CAP...
NO WORRIES...

I purpose we mail entry fees to David with a early to mid September deadline... ( let David set it )
Just let this thing shake out however it will, we WILL fine tune it on the fly...
Limiting the field, capping it, shutting a single member out would be contrary to the principle of having it... IMO all should be welcome to come and we should be able to settle on a reasonable format once we know the total # of players...

We also need a point man on food arrangements...
It's been mentioned by Joey A that Frank could provide this service... I think this would be an excellent solution for the dinner/dinners we should plan on having together... Nothing quite like breaking bread with your fellow man. :) not to mention, it's another way of thanking the owner for use of the facility...

If Frank is willing to accept a fee for table and facility use, then no doubt we should offer one... $25.00 per person or thereabouts...

Once again fellows, let this shake out, then we will figure it out... :)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
It certainly looks like a great way to do it and we will get to play more. I didn't think i would, but i like the idea now i re read it.

i didn't like it at first but re-read it a couple times. it's kind of like how soccer tournaments are played. besides, cory has done this and knows what he is talking about and you have to defer to a guy's expertise.

however, up until this afternoon, we were all going by the assumption that there were 15 tables (i was bumming because there weren't 16). the fact of the matter is that we have a finite amount of time with only 12 tables.....

:frus

(it's still a cool freaking format once you get your head wrapped around it)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just out of curiosity when will the draw happen to see where each player starts in the brackets? Before the event dates so we can see who is playing who and do a little woofing or maybe it makes more sense doing it at Lacy's once you see who for sure shows?

How is it done exactly? Write everyone's name on pieces of paper and fold up and put in a fish bowl?

I was just wondering...

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I wasn't sure which one of the many multiple threads to post this in so....

I finally talked my wife into coming with me to the tournament, suddenly we realized that we were going to a wedding in Casper, WY that weekend. Sadly I will not be able to attend (if I was even invited), but I tried.

Hit 'em straight all! I'll be thinking of you.

Dave

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I love hotdogs,but it is my turn to buy. But if you win it a steak dinner sounds good. it is hard to beat a good $2.00 hotdog.

TWO DOLLARS FOR A HOT DOG????????
Outrageous, Costco with a drink, Polish or EX Large dog, $1.50. I ate one a few years ago before I knew better.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
I can VERIFY that DocHutch is a real person, as real as one can get.

He and I are the best of friends, we play one pocket together, fish together, hunt together and he teaches me pool systems that I can't learn on my own.

JoeyA

Three problems, Jamie: We're adding names to the list of people who are 90+% sure they can make it, and unless you meant to sound quite a bit more sure, "hope to be able" doesn't get there. The other two problems are your status on the forum. Nothing personal, but the consensus seemed to be that it was to be for active "verified" members. We have not considered long time lurking but not posting to qualify as active. A "verified" member -- you may qualify on this count but it's not been established -- is someone who has met others of us so we know him as a real person.

As I said, nothing personal, but several people have mentioned that people who post contribute, people who only lurk do not.

Since you live in Belle Chasse I hope you'll come by so we can get acquainted and maybe we can convince you to add your thoughts on the forum from time to time, especially in our "What Would You Do" (WWYD) threads.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I can VERIFY that DocHutch is a real person, as real as one can get.

JoeyA

Sure Joey, I know that and never doubted it. It's the "active" part that was his problem. One post in almost 10 years, but lurking/reading as you've both noted, shows that he's derived benefit from the site, but not contributed to it. That's the idea of "active."

You may not know that he was offered the opportunity to be first alternate if we didn't reach 48 entries, and he declined. I don't think -- given our time constraints -- that many would feel we should go over 48 on behalf of someone who only reads the site, or that we should deprive a regular contributor an entry on behalf of a reader.

I have been put in the position of trying to make some decisions, and I've tried to do it in the manner in which I think most of the contributors would prefer. We have over 3500 members, and since I don't think it would be appropriate for any of the vast majority of those to take an entry opportunity away from a contributor, the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I'm sorry my best guess as the way to proceed works against you and your friend in this case.

Maybe he'll reconsider if we don't reach 48 without him.

BTW, a member's status gets "verified" by NHSteve. I assume a message to him from you would get Doc's status corrected (if I understand Steve's criteria as I think I do) but that won't solve the current problem. On the other matter, he's our ultimate decision-maker.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Sure Joey, I know that and never doubted it. It's the "active" part that was his problem. One post in almost 10 years, but lurking/reading as you've both noted, shows that he's derived benefit from the site, but not contributed to it. That's the idea of "active."

You may not know that he was offered the opportunity to be first alternate if we didn't reach 48 entries, and he declined. I don't think -- given our time constraints -- that many would feel we should go over 48 on behalf of someone who only reads the site, or that we should deprive a regular contributor an entry on behalf of a reader.

I have been put in the position of trying to make some decisions, and I've tried to do it in the manner in which I think most of the contributors would prefer. We have over 3500 members, and since I don't think it would be appropriate for any of the vast majority of those to take an entry opportunity away from a contributor, the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I'm sorry my best guess as the way to proceed works against you and your friend in this case.

Maybe he'll reconsider if we don't reach 48 without him.

BTW, a member's status gets "verified" by NHSteve. I assume a message to him from you would get Doc's status corrected (if I understand Steve's criteria as I think I do) but that won't solve the current problem. On the other matter, he's our ultimate decision-maker.

I think the intent of the tournament is best served by limiting it to regularly participating (i.e posting) members. It seems we have enough players that fit that criteria considering that we are now discussing the possibility of increasing the field from the planned 32 to 48 to accommodate the interest. No offense to members that mainly lurk but do not participate much, but what makes this forum "go" is the engagement of people posting -- otherwise there is nothing to read :).

Hopefully this will only be the first of many tournament/get togethers, so anyone who is motivated by the desire to play in a future one, we welcome more involvement in the forums over the next year.

Anyone who is concerned about anonymity because of their position in their local community, I fully respect that and am willing to change User Names or do whatever else I can do to as administrator in order to reduce the likelihood that participating here will spill over into their daily life in a negative manner. We have quite a few active members who wish to maintain anonymity -- it seems to work for them.

If we are concerned with a pro joining and snapping off our tournament -- well we already are blessed with some. How about John Brumback for example? But the same criteria would apply to any pro that wants to join in order to qualify for the tournament -- it is not enough to just join and be a known person, you also need to participate in the forums in my opinion.

I hope that does not offend anyone, but it is the way I see it.

Steve Booth
OnePocket.org founder and administrator

PM for my phone number if you would like to talk.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Just to give a defined eligibility, I would consider all of the following members active enough to be eligible. If I accidentally missed someone, please contact me!!

#Cruncher
12squared
1andDone
1pwannabe
3RAILKICK
8andout
ace
akrick
Alfie Taylor
androd
Artie Bodendorfer
backplaying
BackPocket9Ball
Bankin Ben
beatle
bernie p
Big Jim
Bigtruck
Bill
BillPorter
Billy Jackets
blindlemon
Bobbytworails
boingo
BRLongArm
bstroud
BUD GREEN
cabilliardclub
Cal
calibration
Carla Johnson
Cary
champagne
CheeseKeeper
chicagomike
ChicagoRJ
chief
cincy_kid
Cloidius
Cornerman
Cory in dc
Cowboy Dennis
crabbcatjohn
crystal cue
cuesmith
darmoose
Deeman
demonrho
DickP
Disco Dave
dmgwalsh
Don Smith
dontscratch
Drop Pocket
Dudley
DWS
Fanatic
Fast Lenny
FastEddieF.
Frank Almanza
Frank Wojo
frmn
gbru
GoldCrown
Greyghost
gulfportdoc
Hardmix
Hidy Ho
Island Drive
Jakie
jalapus logan
JAM
jazznpool
JeaLouS44
Jeff sparks
jerry matchin
JG-in-KY
Jimmy B
JoeyA
John Brumback
JohnInNH
jrhendy
jtompilot
keoneyo
kicker
KindlyOleUncleDave
kingrichardthelionheart
kollegedave
Ktown
lll
lfigor
LSJohn
markgriffin
Matt_24
Maxwell
mhilton777
Mike
Miller
MisterBanker
Mkbtank
mr3cushion
New 2 You Qs
newfosgatesucks
Nick B
NJshooter
oldroller
OldSchool
oldspurguy
One Pocket Ghost
one pocket guy
One Pocket John
One pocket Smitty
onepockethacker
OPBEAST
opposedtwin
P00lh0li0
Patrick Johnson
Pelican
petie
phil dade
philwelch
poolandpokerman
povpool
pvclou
r0ttie1
Red Shoes
RedCard
Richard S
rnewkirk
Ross Keith Thompson
sappo
schitzngigglz
Scrzbill
senor
Shortstop
shw
Skin
SloMoHolic
sniper
spiderwebcomm
stedyfred
stevelomako
straightback
suki
sunnyone
t-dog
Tennessee Joe6
Terry Hanna
thebaby
thepavlos
Tom Wirth
TomRoden
Tramp Steamer
treeMan
Triple Smart
Troutmanmo
tsk7878
tucson9ball
TWO PICKS
Tylerbob
tylerdurden
u12armresl
unoperro
usblues
vapros
watchez
Wayne
wgcp
WhatWouldWojoDo
WillieNilly
wincardona

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Do you plan to play in N.O. Member Tourney?

After looking at the spreadsheet again, I just want to say... This is going to be awesome!!!! It will be truly a pleasure to see everyone in person!!

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
eligibility for tourny

eligibility for tourny

Can you help me on my eligibility for this tourny, I would love to play

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Can you help me on my eligibility for this tourny, I would love to play

It is up to me but I do not know you well enough yet. However, if a well established member or two here can "Verify" you, then I would respect that since you have more than 20 posts.

Richard S

Verified Member
From
Poplarville MS
1 Hole Nut

1 Hole Nut

This is a well-known local area player. I've met and talked to him a few times at area tournaments and at Skeeter's. A couple of years ago he wrote a really good commentary on his having gone deep into the OP tournament at the Derby City Classic.

I speculate that any objection to his playing would be motivated by fear of the strength of his game.

Regarding his posting volume, I would not register too well on the OP.org piety meter either, therefore my recommendation might not be worthy of much consideration.