Do you plan to play in N.O. Member Tourney?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
We have 32 probables already, several maybes, and some haven't-checked-in-yets.

We need to be thinking about the best possible ways to get all the planned matches in within time allowed.

Some possibilities are:

1) Players' meeting Fri nite at 8:00, First round at 9-9:30, two rounds Fri nite.

2) Players' meeting 9:00 Am Sat, and/or matches 2/2.

3) Single elimination

4) More tables; matches start as tables become available.

5) Limit entries to first 32 to pay entry fee (to whom?)

6) Time clock run by Jeff Sparks. :D

i'll hold the money!!!! :eek: is there a horse track in NO? ;):D

also, who is gonna run this thing? can/will the room do it? do we need to grease them a little something?

doc/jim/bille - whatta you guys think?

(got to be double elimination imo....)

:)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i'll hold the money!!!! :eek: is there a horse track in NO? ;):D

also, who is gonna run this thing? can/will the room do it? do we need to grease them a little something?

doc/jim/bille - whatta you guys think?

(got to be double elimination imo....)

just a thought, if we have to play on Friday evening.....losers play one and winners play two? 3 on winners bracket/2 on losers side?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
just a thought since i am not committed to playing
get there early ie thursday nite
player meeting at 9 or 10 am friday
play starts after the meeting
just a thought

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
ok. modified a 16 player excel bracket i put together some time ago fantasizing about having a small room someday......:rolleyes::eek:

if my figuring is correct (i'm sure that we have some seasoned tourney directors on here can tell me if i'm wrong....), a 32 man double elimination tourney would consist of 62 total matches (assuming the championship is a single elimination match)......

if everyone played a single game on friday night:
friday - 16 matches
sat - 38 matches
sun - 8 matches

if winners played 2 games on friday night:
friday - 24 matches
sat - 34 matches
sun - 4 matches

i'll double check my figuring tomorrow when sober....:D

Cory in dc

Verified Member
My thoughts:
I think we need to start Friday if possible.
Finals to be a single race to 5
Single elimination is agreeable to me... Perhaps we can have a simultaneous consolation bracket for 1-loss players

How many tables will be available to us?
All 15 9-footers?
Can we reserve one table for practice/action?
Are VIP spectator tables available?

Even if the bracket is 48, if 15 tables are available for the first three rounds, it won't add much time vs. a field of 32. With 15 tables you can start the tournament on Friday at 10:00 am and use all 15 until primetime and then gradually cut back so as to not kill the owner's business on a busy night. Same thing on Saturday.

With 48 in the field, you have three rounds of 16 matches before 16 players are eliminated and things start to speed up. That could probably be done with rounds at 11 am, 3 pm, and 7 pm and using all 15 tables. I'm assuming a race to 3 here. It should work even with 15 tables because some matches would be lopsided and end quickly (and Tall Jeff's matches will go really fast in any event). If it stays on schedule, the bar would start to get tables back around 8:30 pm. There would be some straggler matches, but those could finish up without using all 15 tables much beyond 8:00.

Then on Saturday, you have a headstart on a 32 person tournament, with 16 on the winners side and 16 on the losers side. You need 15 tables only for the first Saturday round (8 matches on the W side and 8 on the L side, so one match starts as soon as the first of the 15 ends). Once that round is over, you only need 12 tables for the next round, and fewer thereafter.

So, if Lacy's wants to give up 15 tables for that long (and all 15 tables are decent and unobstructed), I think 48 players is doable in 2.5 days.

I think you'd need races to 3 in the initial rounds. Once the winners' side is down to 8 players, you could play to 4 on that side and to 3 on the losers' side. The extra game on the winners' side won't matter at that point because there are so many more matches on the losers' side. If you want the tournament to really speed up, then have the first two rounds in the losers' side be races to 2, and 3 thereafter.

The TD would have to be somewhat militant, and would also have to have a good idea of who plays fast and aggressive--that match would need to be the 16th match that starts as soon as the first of a batch of 15 matches is over.

This is a little self-serving, since I would like to play but won't know if I can make it until September, so I'd like a larger field. In any case, *if* Lacy's wants to give up enough tables for enough time, then I do think a field of 48 is doable.

Also, I strongly recommend double-elimination, given the travel times. One-and-done would really suck.

One more option to speed it up at the end is to have the winner of the winners' side just be the winner and not wait for the winner of the losers' side to be determined. Inevitably, the winner of the winners side has to sit around for a *long* time waiting for the losers side to finish. When I've done this, I reduce the payoff for first place (it's less time and easier to accomplish, so it should pay less). Instead of 50%/30%/10%/(5% and 5%), I would pay closer to 40%/30%/15%/(7.5% and 7.5%). After rounding, that would make the payouts:

1st: $2,000
2nd: $1,400
3rd: $700
4th: $350
(Give or take, based on consensus.)

Just some ideas...

Should be fun no matter what!

Cory

youngstown

Verified Member
Do you plan to play in N.O. Member Tourney?

Man oh man,
My mouth is watering sumthin fierce...
Who's had Cajun boiled blue crab and shrimp, along with new red potatoes and chunks of fresh corn on the cob, all cooked in the same boiling pot...

Sitting around a big banquet table pickin away at the blue crab and eating fresh caught Cajun boiled shrimp, drinking a few Buds with my buds and listening to some road warrior tales... :)

By the look of me, it's not a stretch to guess that eating is one of my favorite things to do, so anything we decide upon will be great for me...

Just sayin...

When in Rome...
Damn. Sounds damn fine to me.

yk

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
just a thought, if we have to play on Friday evening.....losers play one and winners play two? 3 on winners bracket/2 on losers side?

I'd reverse that. There will be a lot more total matches on the losers' side, so it's better to move it along. Besides, winners win more sleep by winning. :heh

I agree about single race to 4 or 5 for the championship match.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
a lot of guys will be traveling on friday.......
:mad:

Yeah, if that's the case, then to do 48 you would have to do races to 3 on the winners side and to 2 on the losers. Probably better to stick to 32.

If I can't get into the tournament, I can just hand over my $100 entry fee via a series of 2-man tournaments.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
just a thought since i am not committed to playing
get there early ie thursday nite
player meeting at 9 or 10 am friday
play starts after the meeting
just a thought

That would be more leisurely, but I think we should be willing to suffer :eek: a little so that guys who have to work Friday can participate. I think we should make the social aspects our priority.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
rounds at 11 am, 3 pm, and 7 pm

4 hours for races to 3 and/or 2? No way.

So, if Lacy's wants to give up 15 tables for that long

Yes that would help a lot. Your idea of daytime only for the 15 is good... cut back to 8 around 7:00 pm

This is a little self-serving, since I would like to play but won't know if I can make it until September, so I'd like a larger field. In any case, *if* Lacy's wants to give up enough tables for enough time, then I do think a field of 48 is doable.

I'd love 48. More members, more fun.

Also, I strongly recommend double-elimination, given the travel times. One-and-done would really suck.

Agree

1st: $2,000
2nd: $1,400
3rd: $700
(Give or take, based on consensus.)

At Houston the consensus was to spread the money out more. I'd say that is even more justified with a member-only tourney.

Should be fun no matter what!

Cory

Amen. Hope you can make it.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Think about Host Room

Think about Host Room

Just my two cents(which I always have with me), Lacy's was very generous to let us use their facilities. We cannot just expand field and take up more of room's revenue time, weekend. I think we will easily fill 32, but 48 might be stretching it.

Think about finals and semifinals in Houston. On some matches would definitely have to have shot clock.

Just saying.:confused:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Just my two cents(which I always have with me), Lacy's was very generous to let us use their facilities. We cannot just expand field and take up more of room's revenue time, weekend. I think we will easily fill 32, but 48 might be stretching it.

Think about finals and semifinals in Houston. On some matches would definitely have to have shot clock.

Just saying.:confused:

having an opportunity to sit down and look at it, 48 just simply isn't doable and would be a complete clusterfuk....
;):)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Dont count me in just yet but I have probably moved from a 20% chance to be there to now a 40% to be there :)

I wont know for sure until the date gets closer....

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I'm not sure why Fireman KC is not on the list. He's the one with the connection with Frank the owner of Lacy's. That's why Lacy's will open at ten for us

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'm not sure why Fireman KC is not on the list. He's the one with the connection with Frank the owner of Lacy's. That's why Lacy's will open at ten for us

He's not on it because he hasn't posted asking to be on it. I always assumed that he would play, but I've only been putting people on the list when they ask me to. I also haven't added Joey A although I figure it's at leat 10 to 1 that he'll play. We just haven't heard from him yet.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
He's not on it because he hasn't posted asking to be on it. I always assumed that he would play, but I've only been putting people on the list when they ask me to. I also haven't added Joey A although I figure it's at leat 10 to 1 that he'll play. We just haven't heard from him yet.

KC told me he was playing when he arranged the opening time at Lacy's. I guess he forgot to post it. He did confirm with me today that he wants to play.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
BOOM!

My Nashville trip got cancelled this morning so I am now 80% sure I will be there! Just have to work out the logistics, but add me to the "very probable" column John!