DCC Information has posted

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
A number of new rule twists for One Pocket this year -- basically no jumping the cue ball (or object ball) intentionally off the table to prevent an opponent's hanger from scoring. Also owing 5 balls is loss of game.

The rules are here, just scroll down for the One Pocket. At the bottom they reference onepocket.org :):)

DennyONE

A number of new rule twists for One Pocket this year -- basically no jumping the cue ball (or object ball) intentionally off the table to prevent an opponent's hanger from scoring. Also owing 5 balls is loss of game.

The rules are here, just scroll down for the One Pocket. At the bottom they reference onepocket.org :):)

I think these changes will serve to better the game it is high time that changes were made to unify the game and as such perhaps bring out the better of all players and the integrity of this most highly regarded game of skill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

It's also interesting that they prohibit both players having a negative score. This will likely affect the top players more than the average player. So if a guy owes one, and the opponent fouls to also owe one, the score would revert to 0-0.

" Both Players Cannot have a Negative Score
If the ball count scores of both players reach a negative count, the negatives will cancel each other out, until at least one player gets back to a ball count of zero."

Also the maximum negative count will be 4. If it reaches 5, that player loses the game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if you notice they say ball in hand behind the line or in the kitchen everywhere its mentioned
just sayin
not being able to jump the cue ball with the game winner in the opponents pocket
is just wrong...jmho
rerack after you make a ball AND SCRATCH is just wrong....jmho

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
..not being able to jump the cue ball with the game winner in the opponents pocket
is just wrong...jmho
I'm not in favor of the 'not being able to make your opponents ball and jumping off the table' rule either.

It's unclear to me that making a ball on the break and scratching is a legal stroke. If it's not, I think the rule is not to rerack, but reading comprehension is not my strength. Lol - Larry, please reread that rule and let me know if I read it wrong.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
An object ball legally pocketed in the breakers pocket is a re-rack and re-break.
I'm not in favor of the 'not being able to make your opponents ball and jumping off the table' rule either.

It's unclear to me that making a ball on the break and scratching is a legal stroke. If it's not, I think the rule is not to rerack, but reading comprehension is not my strength. Lol - Larry, please reread that rule and let me know if I read it wrong.
dave
an attorney reading whats bolded above would agree that if you scratched too the ball was not "legally" made
i am not sure if thats what they intended (although i hope so)
because my defense attorney will say
i pocketed the ball with a legal stroke
the scratch is separate

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
An object ball legally pocketed in the breakers pocket is a re-rack and re-break.

dave
an attorney reading whats bolded above would agree that if you scratched too the ball was not "legally" made
i am not sure if thats what they intended (although i hope so)
because my defense attorney will say
i pocketed the ball with a legal stroke
the scratch is separate
It still sounds iffy to me. Clarification is needed even though I'm not going.

Just so you know I love at least one attorney! Go Blue 💛💙

Reactions: lll

Kybanks

Verified Member
They have ruined 1 pocket at the Derby! Anyone else got any rules they wanna add? All these rules discussions on here have turned the Derby into Texas Express 1 pocket! Awesome job fellas! I'm out of here!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
if you notice they say ball in hand behind the line or in the kitchen everywhere its mentioned
just sayin
not being able to jump the cue ball with the game winner in the opponents pocket
is just wrong...jmho

Larry, would you agree to a jump shot announcement whereby you just spot up his ball and one of yours and give him ball behind line?

baby huey

Verified Member
I certainly hope one of our Engineers tracks the One Pocket Event such that the night beforee the finals , the matches conclude at an earlier time. I would like to bet they don't. I see these changes as not helpful at all including the re-rack change. What if you scratch and make a ball in your pocket on the break?

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Another example of contradictory rules that say just the opposite by people who just don't get it. However, there is nothing to say that the rule that takes precedence is not the rule that says, on ALL scratches a penalty is levied and opponent is given CB in hand, which means a scratch on the break ends your inning and NO rerack.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I think it's plumb wrong to rerack if you make a ball on the break - unless, of course, you racked your own. I say rack for each other and keep shooting if a ball is made on the break. Those are tied together, anyway. One begat the other. Ptui

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, would you agree to a jump shot announcement whereby you just spot up his ball and one of yours and give him ball behind line?
I have to think about that one jimmy
just because you PLAN TO JUMP THE CUE BALL doesnt mean you will be successful
just like if you PLAN TO SCRATCH BEHIND HIS BALL doesnt mean you will always be successful
if the compromise you suggest was the rule
i would NEVER scratch behind your ball but ALWAYS call a jump cueball
since i know i will always be successful of my goal

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I have to think about that one jimmy
just because you PLAN TO JUMP THE CUE BALL doesnt mean you will be successful
just like if you PLAN TO SCRATCH BEHIND HIS BALL doesnt mean you will always be successful
if the compromise you suggest was the rule
i would NEVER scratch behind your ball but ALWAYS call a jump cueball
since i know i will always be successful of my goal

Oh snap.. I didn't even think about that, Larry. You just explained why my variant is out.. It's worse than the gd delta and omicron put together...lol

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
They have ruined 1 pocket at the Derby! Anyone else got any rules they wanna add? All these rules discussions on here have turned the Derby into Texas Express 1 pocket! Awesome job fellas! I'm out of here!
I believe it was actually the other way around sir -- at least for me. Meaning DCC (and others) were already changing rules, or talking about it, and we have no control over that. So their changes, and proposed changes, entered our discussions here. Ultimately however, our own official rules actually toe the "traditional" line. DCC is trying some new rules this year -- let's see what happens. Either they will "fly" or not. :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Maybe i missed it. But what's new besides -5 is loss of game and you can't shoot the cb off the table? I personally think both are good. I don't want a cb flying off hitting me or anyone plus it has to damage the equipment and balls. And in the spirit of not having 2 hour games the minus 5 rule makes sense as does the both players can't be negative.

They have been doing rack your own and re rack if you make one for years. The only thing I disagree with is if you break, make a ball and SCRATCH, I don't think that should be re rack. That should be you owe one and opponent has bih btl.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I like the slow play rule. One pocket should add a clock like they have in chess. I’ve watched some of the matches in the MOT and get amused and annoyed at the same time watching players walk around the table like they are stalking their prey.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I like the slow play rule. One pocket should add a clock like they have in chess. I’ve watched some of the matches in the MOT and get amused and annoyed at the same time watching players walk around the table like they are stalking their prey.
The penalty portions of the rule are good. But in actual practice I'm wondering how they'd be judged? IOW the complaining player would have to go to the desk to request a ref to watch the alleged offending player. As soon as the ref left, the player would likely revert to slow play. There would not likely ever be enough refs to watch all the matches. I suppose they could have a slow play squad to drift throughout the various matches to observe, especially the known slow players.

Inordinately slow play is not all that common, but the offenders and matches that are slow are maddening. There have been many solutions suggested over the years, and shot clocks keep popping up ad nauseum. IMO shot clocks will never be used except in the case of finals matches, or on a TV table like at the DCC. Poolroom owners are never going to buy dozens of them, and promoters are not likely to either. And the suggestion of people using their I-phones would simply be arguments waiting to happen.

Something could be done like putting a time check on certain matches, e.g. if only 2 games have been completed after 2 hours, then their match could be shortened: fewer balls, fewer games, etc. I've used that in a couple of 1P tournaments I've TD'd, and it worked out pretty well. But still, someone would have to notify the TD.