DCC feedback

bernie p

Verified Member
Well, this Derby City Classic is in the books for another year.

This was an interesting trip for me this year, in that I was curious to see how I would follow up on a previously successful year at the DCC (for me that is).

I have been playing and practicing with regularity in recent months, but as I age, I am beginning to see my ball making abilities decline, albeit very slowly. However, I feel that my moving skills have improved approximately a full ball in the last 12 months.

So going in, I was very confident especially given that I do 90% of my playing a 4 1/8" Diamond. I absolutely love the DCC Diamonds with fresh cloth, but it does require a few hours of play to get comfortable.

My first match was drawn against Ralf Souquet. Obviously Ralf is a champion 8 and 9 ball player but I did'nt recall him placing top in any recent One Pocket events and so I felt I had a reasonable chance if I played my game against him. I felt I moved very well against him, running 6 balls in each of the 3 games that I won. I lost one game due to a scratch when he ran a typically Ralfesque 8 and out.

The only critique I would have regarding Ralf's game is that he appears to be reluctant to take an intentional foul when he was in a jam.

So I was feeling confident heading into my next match with Daryl Gable, who I took for granted as a non One Pocket known player....big, big mistake on my part. He completely out banked and outplayed me for a 1-3 loss.

I did win my 3rd round match 3-1 with Robert Sowa after I hit a strange patch of missing a couple of easy balls, not sure why, but it happens I guess.

My 4th round opponent was a familiar face for me, Rafael Martinez (coincidently, we both had played each other 3 previous times in the previous 18 months at the DCC and US Open). I had beaten him 2 out 3 in those matches so I was feeling pretty good about the draw.

With Rafael, as many of you know, you end up having to play a totally different game against him due to his level of aggression/creativity. In other words, he is one of the most dangerous players I have played at his level.

In our past 2 meetings, it became apparent that I just needed to be very patient and wait for him to shoot an off the wall shot, and so intended to stick with same game plan for this match.

I played very well against Rafael but he played the best of our 4 meetings, alas with no opportunity providing 'circus shots', and he took the match 3-1. This was without doubt the most conservative and tight I have ever seen Rafael play. He squeezed me tight and deserved the win.

So....a 4th rd exit. I thought I would be highly disappointed, but in the end I was happy with my play. My learned lesson was to take every unknown opponent as a top player and not take anything for granted.

I did get a chance to play in the old Action Room (just one table with spectator seating all around). This table had 4" pockets and was without doubt the toughest table I've ever played on, given the standard Diamond pocket shelves. This turned out to be 7 hours of pure heaven matching up with a great player from Des Moines.

I also got into some other action with our own Jtompilot (great guy and tough competitor) and Sergio Perez. I did try to get a game with the One Pocket Ghost, but his negotiating skills outweigh his moving skills :eek:...if that's possible:lol:lol. Maybe next year.

So, another year under the belt. I will go back to one pocket drawing board, continue to eek out new shots and a stronger mental state of mind....and hopefully live to see another Derby.

I would like to reiterate my thanks for the One Pocket. Org nomination and especially to Steve Booth who puts in a tremendous amount of hours for all our benefit.

Thanks!

Bernie Pettipiece.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes, you have to watch out for those "unknown" players -- and the big name guys too, lol. Oh, and Melissa Little, too :D

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Good job Bernie. Keep at it knocking champions off, you will have good sets and bad sets, race to 3 is tough and anyone worth their salt has a shot to win and on those big pockets it makes it tough. I look forward to some cheap sets when you are around. Since you improved a ball in the moving I will take 10/6. :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice summary, Bernie. Your comments about Martinez were interesting. Maybe we'll be seeing a new Martinez 1P approach! And I note that you avoided "Specter-cide"...;)

Hope to catch you up in Tunica.

Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Yes,.....

Yes,.....

....a good analysis of the situation.Playing on tight Diamonds for months was your biggest asset besides your skills of course.The only thing you could of done better was to play top level players before more also or the ultimate,hit the road for 2 months and then go to the DCC.Hard to do and have another life of course.We are all proud of your accomplishments.I first met Raphael in 83 at the McDermott when he was hustling at night before he got known.Nicest guy you could meet on the road.I hope you are there again next year,cheers,James

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Great report Bernie. Thanks for the write up. You made us proud. These short races don't give us much time to recover from a bad roll. Interesting what you said about Martinez and the squeezing.
He and I played on an eight ball team over twenty years ago. He would run out and come back to sit down and would say to me" I know that's not the way you would have done it" He was amazing with his style of play but he always got the job done.

Good luck on your next venture Bernie.