Cousins Custom Cues

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have around 30 of these cues that have never hit a ball and will start listing them in the ‘For Sale’ section with pics and prices later this week.

These cues are between 20 and 30 years old and have been stored in a controlled environment since they stopped making them almost 20 years ago. There were several hundred made and sold over the years and I played with one and sold quite a few of them myself when I worked with Gary’s cousin Ed at Cue Sports Journal in the 90’s. Gary had to stop building cues for health reasons and they were put in storage thinking they would increase in value over the years. We all know how that went, so these well made custom cues will be for sale at at very fair prices. You can find some info and pics with search in the For Sale section on AZ. The following is a blurb I found on the internet.

Cue Maker, Gary Wright, hand crafted approximately 600 custom cues from 1990 until 2000. Most of his cues were made with birdseye maple and many different exotic woods such as ebony, coco bola, kingwood, and bubinga for the points and inlays. He utilized both the phenolic 3/8-10 and 5/16-14 metal joints. Irish linen was used for the wrap and NO ivory was used in his work. The majority of his cues were sold on the west coast with some being sold through out the United States and Japan. Over the years Cousin's Cues found their way into the hands of touring pros, top regional players and many collectors. Most cues are still in play today . Ed Wright, Gary's cousin (thus the name Cousin's Cues) sold the majority of the cues directly to players and collectors at pool rooms, pool tournaments and dealer shows. Cousin's cues have quickly become valued collector's items that will appreciate in value and bring you many years of excellent play.

There are cues from four to twelve points above the wrap. They are all old school with various wood inlays. You can email me at cuesportsjournal@gmail or contact me on here for more information.

John Henderson

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
IMO, Cousins are superb cuesticks. During the '90s I always lusted after one, but I never pulled the trigger. What I liked about them was that they had a forward-weighted feel, and also that they were attractive-- unique in contrast to the rest of the market. I'm not in the market for a cue, but will enjoy looking a pics of these excellent cuesticks.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Dang John, you’ve had a month to post some pics and prices. I did know you played that slow. LOL

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I found some of the cues have some problems after being stored this long. I asked some cuemakers and it could be wood moving, finish shrinking, warping or any number of things. I have sold some with no problems, but did have one with a warped butt and another with a wobble in the shaft. I traded other cues for these that had no problems, but it has been suggested I take the cues out of the problem case and spin them on a lathe, and I intend to do that when I can. I have attached pictures of a typical Cousins 4pt cue. This particular cue has a very slight ridge you can feel around the phenolic where the finish has shrunk. It does not affect playability, but it is there and I have adjusted the price down $100.

4pt Kingswood w/veneers $350

Butt 29”, 15oz, phenolic joint w/3/8-10 pin
Shaft 29”, pro taper, 3 3/4oz, 13mm LePro tip

Attachments

• FD7FFB35-1370-4E75-A5E9-CF708B1F48DC.jpeg
    FD7FFB35-1370-4E75-A5E9-CF708B1F48DC.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 801F45FC-9AF9-4004-B163-7E782390F881.jpeg
    801F45FC-9AF9-4004-B163-7E782390F881.jpeg
    855.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 11E99684-7745-454C-BD37-E53EA79CA517.jpeg
    11E99684-7745-454C-BD37-E53EA79CA517.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • F93A15F0-AAA1-4C8F-9147-58BC9C6099BB.jpeg
    F93A15F0-AAA1-4C8F-9147-58BC9C6099BB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Here are a couple interesting Cousins Cues. The one on the left is 6pt Olivewood into Olivewood with Purple Heart below the wrap.
The other cue is a 6pt Birdseye into Bubinga, a very striking cue. There is a smudge on the wrap you can see in the pic. We let buyers test hit this cue To see how Cousins Cues play. If anyone wants more pics and specs, let me know.96D45B9E-0A84-45D7-B293-A3B47A1A1625.jpeg

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
John, How much for the lighter colored wood above ? If straight and price reasonable, I would like one.

Thank you, Robert 817-875-1254

ROUND-ROB

I found some of the cues have some problems after being stored this long. I asked some cuemakers and it could be wood moving, finish shrinking, warping or any number of things. I have sold some with no problems, but did have one with a warped butt and another with a wobble in the shaft. I traded other cues for these that had no problems, but it has been suggested I take the cues out of the problem case and spin them on a lathe, and I intend to do that when I can. I have attached pictures of a typical Cousins 4pt cue. This particular cue has a very slight ridge you can feel around the phenolic where the finish has shrunk. It does not affect playability, but it is there and I have adjusted the price down $100.

4pt Kingswood w/veneers $350

Butt 29”, 15oz, phenolic joint w/3/8-10 pin
Shaft 29”, pro taper, 3 3/4oz, 13mm LePro tip
I have this same cue bought off a guy down in Flordia a few months ago and I added it to my collection and haven't played with it much just pull it out and look at it sometimes. I always wanted a Cousins Cue from back in the 90's when he ran an ad in Pool and Billiard Magazine

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
John good for you....nice to make a few bucks when your not working.

Talked with Massey this past week, he's been GIVEN a few cues just in the past mth, from some of his Older life time friends in the US. One was a Balabuska, he said he's been blessed, never expecting this to occur but that's Mike. He got somewhere in the 8K+ range just for that one cue.