Corey vs. Orcullo 1P final... today?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Evidently Corey beat Biado last night (Sat.) 3-2 to advance to the race to 5 finals against Orcullo. I must say that it's nice to have a U.S. player in the finals of the U.S. Open 1P championship! It was beginning to look like another Filipino final...:rolleyes:

Corey is a quirky player. He can beat the best, and lose to the worst. I suppose that's the nature of short races. I'm still disgusted with Corey after watching him pull some highly questionable moves in Tunica. However, since it's extremely difficult to make a living in pool, it tends to make the participants more inclined to transgressive behavior. The obvious answer is to change careers. But of course that would be akin to telling a NYC smack head to shape up and move to Utah.:)

It is a little frustrating however to have to spend time hunting for current 1P tourney news on another website whose combined one-pocket knowledge amounts to about half a glass of tap water. I assume Steve had to leave today, and there is apparently no one left who will report.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Evidently Corey beat Biado last night (Sat.) 3-2 to advance to the race to 5 finals against Orcullo. I must say that it's nice to have a U.S. player in the finals of the U.S. Open 1P championship! It was beginning to look like another Filipino final...:rolleyes:

Corey is a quirky player. He can beat the best, and lose to the worst. I suppose that's the nature of short races. I'm still disgusted with Corey after watching him pull some highly questionable moves in Tunica. However, since it's extremely difficult to make a living in pool, it tends to make the participants more inclined to transgressive behavior. The obvious answer is to change careers. But of course that would be akin to telling a NYC smack head to shape up and move to Utah.:)

It is a little frustrating however to have to spend time hunting for current 1P tourney news on another website whose combined one-pocket knowledge amounts to about half a glass of tap water. I assume Steve had to leave today, and there is apparently no one left who will report.

Doc

The Deuel / Biado match was a long one, especially for aggressive players like these two. Both missed an easy chance early on and reverted to a moving game. Very few mistakes on either side IMO and Corey out waited him.

I thought there was a little gamesmanship after Biado tied it 2/2, but I could have been mistaken and won't mention it on here.

On another note, I just watched Earl beat Soquet (sp) in the ten ball. Neither player missed more than two balls the whole time I watched.

This might be the toughest field of ten ball players ever at one venue. Champions from every country.

Cloidius

Verified Member
finals tonight...

finals tonight...

The tournament board says the Race to 5 finals are scheduled for 6pm tonight. I'll be sweating the match pitside!

Clyde Netzley, IV

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks for the updates, John and Clyde. John, when do you play your 8-ball matches?

Clyde-- keep us apprised of who won, along with your impression of the match.

Cheers~ Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Thanks for the updates, John and Clyde. John, when do you play your 8-ball matches?

Clyde-- keep us apprised of who won, along with your impression of the match.

Cheers~ Doc

Unfortunately, I have a six pm match. Hopefully I will be able to catch the last few games.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The Deuel / Biado match was a long one, especially for aggressive players like these two. Both missed an easy chance early on and reverted to a moving game. Very few mistakes on either side IMO and Corey out waited him.

I thought there was a little gamesmanship after Biado tied it 2/2, but I could have been mistaken and won't mention it on here.On another note, I just watched Earl beat Soquet (sp) in the ten ball. Neither player missed more than two balls the whole time I watched.

This might be the toughest field of ten ball players ever at one venue. Champions from every country.

did it have to do with cleaning the balls?
pm me

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Getting ready to kick off the One Pocket finals -- single race to five Orcullo vs Deuel. It's 12$ to sign up for the day -- the schedule shows today as July 21 10-ball, because the One Pocket was supposed to finish yesterday. I got home from Vegas just in time to tune into this. Of course I would have much rather been out there in person!

http://www.theactionreport.com/home.html

Cloidius

Verified Member
1-0 orcollo

1-0 orcollo

Dennis won the lag, broke good, maintained a positional advantage, then capitalized on a cross-corner return bank that Corey left. 8 and out.

Corey broke good this 2nd game, and now the two have xchanged fouls, -1 v -1.

And orcollo just scratched, corey shoul get several balls here.

Cloidius

Verified Member
2-0

2-0

Very ugly 2nd game, I counted 5 or 6 missed ball between the two players. Corey eventually left a twistback type cross along the foot rail, dennis drilled it in, and shaped up for the win.

Looked like a mental error on Corey's part, as he left the ball wide open, I don't think he believed the ball would bank, and dennis did not hesitate.

Dennis broke good in game 3, but corey has already fanagled a ball and is working out of the break.

Cloidius

Verified Member
2-1

2-1

Corey played a kick combo along the foot rail, leaving the 5 close, with the 1st bal staying put as a blocker. Dennis tried to roll through the blocking ball and under the five. His cue ball came up short, leaving an easy cut, Corey ran 7 out.

He raised his cue "I finally won a gam, it only took me six tries!" He was obviously relieved to break through, as Dennis blanked him 4 staight in their first match.

Corey breaks good in the 4th rack.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Great coverage. Keep it coming.

Corey played a kick combo along the foot rail, leaving the 5 close, with the 1st bal staying put as a blocker. Dennis tried to roll through the blocking ball and under the five. His cue ball came up short, leaving an easy cut, Corey ran 7 out.

He raised his cue "I finally won a gam, it only took me six tries!" He was obviously relieved to break through, as Dennis blanked him 4 staight in their first match.

Corey breaks good in the 4th rack.

Cloidius

Verified Member
2-2

2-2

Phew! Now were grinding. At 3 -2 in the favor of dennis, all ten balls were wedged withon a diamond and a half of his top corner pocket. Dennis was able to grab a few with nice two rail shots. But, Corey ultimately got an easy cross bank, after the balls moved back down table, shaping up to run 5 and out.

Match time just about three hours. Dennis is looking a bit fresher to me. He is running balls in the fifth game now, up 4-0, with aball in his jaws.

Cloidius

Verified Member
3 - 2 Orcollo

3 - 2 Orcollo

Corey decided to go for a tough cutback cross corner bank, probably because it had the sidewalls. Only thing was he hit it too slowly to utilize the big pocket, holding for position, and sold out. Dennis got out easy, this was a quick game

We are now in the sixth game, Corey played a signature carom shot, made it, barely shaped up for a thin cut, made that, and ran five more. Corey has given up the hill twice in this game, and the score sits currently at 6 -5, in favor of corey.

Match time is right at 4.5 hours.

Cloidius

Verified Member
3 - 3

3 - 3

Move, move, move. Corey spun in a tight return bank, shaped up good, called the referee over to clean the cueball (???), then made the ball.

Dennis breaks good, and Corey immediately sells out tryin to escape the break.

Cloidius

Verified Member
4 - 3 Orcollo

4 - 3 Orcollo

8 and out, and that game took less than 5 minutes.

Cloidius

Verified Member
orcollo wins 5 - 3!

orcollo wins 5 - 3!

Corey was on the hill in this grinder of an uptable game. With two balls to his credit Dennis had manuevered three in front of his hole. Corey, I believe was tryin to remove two of them, when disaster struck, he hit the extraction bad, and left all three balls for picking.

Dennis played a great cut on the thrid ball to get above the three balls uptable on his side, when the final shot fell, so did Orcollo, from relief, exhaustion, or excitement, he just tipped right over backwards. Graciously shook corey's hand, and pocketed a giant $7500 check.

Match time right around 6.5 hours.

It was grinder!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes, thank you very much Clyde -- and great to meet another One Pocket player! I had to fly home yesterday for work today, so instead of watching live out in Vegas, I signed up for the TAR stream... but could only last four games before it got into early Monday AM out east here, with an early work day coming up.

Seems like for players like Corey they have to have a shot clock ready to go if necessary.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I noticed in the TAR chat several 10-ball fans complaining that the One Pocket was messing with the 10-ball schedule. That got my goat a little of course

As you all probably heard, there were severe thunderstorms in Vegas Friday night, coming during the last one pocket match of the night (Deuel vs Orcullo hot-seat match), while at the same time, many early round 10-ball matches were also going on, since they start the 10-ball with a two day overlap of the One Pocket schedule. The One Pocket and 10-ball was suspended until the next morning (Saturday), at 10 AM. With both Deuel and Orcullo in the 10-ball, they either needed to forfeit their 10-ball match so as not to hold up the whole 10-ball field, or rush from the end of the One Pocket match they had left to finish, into their 10-ball matches -- which they did. Then the scheduled One Pocket semifinal was able to begin (again, involving Deuel vs Biado this time). This again could have caused setbacks in the 10-ball for those two players.

Okay, with the One Pocket semi out of the way, Deuel and Biado could take care of their next 10-ball rounds (and Orcullo, if necessary). Now the One Pocket could have finished but it would have been a very long and grueling night for Deuel especially, and the staff decided to postpone the One Pocket finals to avoid such a long night. I think that was a mistake, and you saw the consequence of it the next day, with all the 10-ball fans complaining about 6-1/2 hours of One Pocket that should have been over the day before.

Yeah, it was obviously an act of God -- the weather issue Friday night -- but instead of extending play later into Saturday night, they changed the whole schedule. I know at least Billy Cardone and I and certainly quite a few others were annoyed we set our whole trip around the One Pocket only to miss the finals.

PS the One Pocket was exactly on schedule, up to the last half of the last match of Friday night -- in other words even with the storm, they were only half a match behind with only the originally scheduled two matches remaining for Saturday. You tell me they could not fit two and a half matches (even long ones with Corey) into one day? One of the consequences of continuing to win in any tournament is LONG DAYS of pool.