Corey vs. Orcullo 1P final... today?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

At the very least they could have had Corey and Dennis start up at 9:AM to finish their interrupted match. Heck they had a great opportunity for a good nights sleep because all the matches got shut down so early due to the power outage.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Clyde and Steve-- Thanks very much for your good reports: Clyde on the final play, and Steve on the mechanics of scheduling, and scenario-setting.

For my druthers, I'd like to have seen a better one-pocket player face Orcullo in the finals, like Frost or SVB. Yet Corey played well to get there.

I'm not a fan of Orcullo's, but I have to admit that he's a great pool player, and that he's obviously gotten the hang of one-pocket!

From a fan's perspective, it would be exciting to see a round-robin type tournament of the top 12-16 1P players. It would have to be an invitational, like the old 14.1 championships. Of course, I don't know how they could get the money raised for it.:(

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Clyde and Steve-- Thanks very much for your good reports: Clyde on the final play, and Steve on the mechanics of scheduling, and scenario-setting.

For my druthers, I'd like to have seen a better one-pocket player face Orcullo in the finals, like Frost or SVB. Yet Corey played well to get there.

I'm not a fan of Orcullo's, but I have to admit that he's a great pool player, and that he's obviously gotten the hang of one-pocket!

From a fan's perspective, it would be exciting to see a round-robin type tournament of the top 12-16 1P players. It would have to be an invitational, like the old 14.1 championships. Of course, I don't know how they could get the money raised for it.:(

Doc

Doc, the round robin format you are talking about sounds just like the AccuStats make it happen format

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Doc

They were both dead tired Doc and it showed in their play.

They both had ten ball matches before the final. The power outage and delay took its toll.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't recall paying attention to that event. 'Course a lot of my neurons have been jumping ship lately... How many participated?

Doc
I believe it was six players. The current WWYD's that Dennis has been posting are from that event, which took place in the Accustats studio. Alex -- Efren -- Shane -- Daulton -- Frost -- Deuel

http://www.accu-stats.com/1P13list.pdf

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks, Steve. If I'm reading it right, Shane won it. Pat really ought to combine some of those matches. Paying $26 or whatever for a 20 or 30 minute match is not good value. Maybe he is combining, but it isn't viewable on that particular page.

Yes, that's a good format in terms of it being round robin. However I'd like to see more players and longer races. Races to three these days is almost like a race to 5 or 7 in 9-ball. Luck and rolls really come into play.

For example, as I recall, the older U.S. Open 1P events were races to 5. That way a guy could come back from some misfortune. If one makes a mistake or two in races to 3, they're usually defeated.

Imagine if the USGA were to say, "This year for the U.S. Open, because of such large fields, there will only be two rounds of competition: Friday and Saturday. And the rounds will be shortened to 14 holes each.":eek:

Of course we can only dream of having big money in pool.:(

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Shot clock ideas

Shot clock ideas

The Accustats Make it Happen One Pocket featured a pretty aggressive shot clock. I forget what it was, but it was definitely no more than a minute, with only one extension per rack per player. Running overtime was a foul, and loss of turn -- brutal, considering the cue ball was usually left facing the opponent's pocket! There were several fouls and a lot of obvious discomfort as the clock was ticking down. Maybe some views find that clock watching exciting -- personally I would rather see more creative One Pocket and a good match that turns on great shots rather than time violations.

I think a more sophisticated clock would be ideal - something like 60 seconds per shot could be fine, if players had maybe five minutes slush time per rack per player before a player is subject to a penalty, which would give a little more flexibility for each individual shot, and also would eliminate the need for a time out -- once the player has used their slush time, then the clock is strictly enforced. If you had a sophisticated enough clock system you might even be able to have a way to add more time back into your slush time (say if you shot in less than 30 seconds, for example).

Players like Corey, Ike Runnels and others would have to tighten up their thinking. Without a shot clock, the long races are a killer. With the One Pocket finals in Vegas going 6-1/2 hours for the final race to five, I expect next year either a shot clock or a roll back to a four game final.

I prefer the idea of a shot clock rather than changing the game by one of the rule variations that spots up extra balls if they begin to accumulate above the head string.