comparison of 15 ball 1/P run to straight pool

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Does anyone have an idea of what the equivalent of a 15 ball run in one pocket would be to a run in straight pool...

The run can be started at any time during the game..

We were thinking it to be around a hundred balls....

Is that close?

thanks...gbru

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
gbru said:
Does anyone have an idea of what the equivalent of a 15 ball run in one pocket would be to a run in straight pool...

Is that close?

thanks...gbru

I have no idea, but I'm thinking more like 250 balls.
Rod. <---not a straight pool player

bernie p

Verified Member
gbru said:

Is that close?

thanks...gbru

Gbru,

Interesting question. I have had similar conversations with various players trying to compare a snooker century break (100 points) with the equivalent run in 14.1. I am amazed at the difference of opinion with competent players who have played both games to a decent level.

I have never needed all 15 balls in a game but coincidentally, not to long ago in a 1P game, I was first to the shot needing 10 to win but ran the remaining 5 for funsies.

I would agree that your assessment of runnning all 15 is about as tough as a 14.1 100 ball run.

Just curious......have any posters here actually needed all 15 and ran them?

I know Scott Frost has ran 10 and out with all 10 balls made from within the kitchen including (3) two or three railers:eek:
Thanks.

Bernie.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
androd said:
I have no idea, but I'm thinking more like 250 balls.
Rod. <---not a straight pool player

WOW!....I didn't know it might be that high....

BTW....if the Ghost is reading this it's not me that ran the 15 balls :eek: ....It was a friend who shoots a whole lot better than me.

So don't get any ideas Luke.... :rolleyes:

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
bernie p said:
I have never needed all 15 balls in a game but coincidentally, not to long ago in a 1P game, I was first to the shot needing 10 to win but ran the remaining 5 for funsies. .

Bernie.

Thanks Bernie.....That was the same scenario as my friend Joe was referring to......He would often keep shooting after making his 8 to get out and several times he ran all 15 balls against me....Just for practice and fun...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gbru said:

thanks...gbru

This question is way too arbitrary to answer without getting more specific = depends totally on where the 15 balls are situated....if a few of the balls are down on the bottom rail and out of play, then running them might be like running 250 balls in straight pool....but if all of the balls are loosened up, and around the racking area - that 15ball run might only be equal to about a 90ball straight pool run.

- Ghost

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'd say under a hundred for sure. I never ran a hundred and don't think I ever ran all fifteen either, but you see runs of fifteen pretty often when people practice. As a matter of fact, a couple of years ago at Derby City, Corey Deuel had wager going on, where he played the 15 ball One Pocket ghost. He was getting odds -- maybe three to one (does anyone remember?) and betting a hundred, iirc. Nobody would do that betting they would run a hundred in straight pool would they?

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
One Pocket Ghost said:
This question is way too arbitrary to answer without getting more specific = depends totally on where the 15 balls are situated....if a few of the balls are down on the bottom rail and out of play, then running them might be like running 250 balls in straight pool....but if all of the balls are loosened up, and around the racking area - that 15ball run might only be equal to about a 90ball straight pool run.

- Ghost

I knew this was gonna happen....I ask a simple question for a friend and my spot drops two (2) balls.:eek:

Anyway....Thanks for that analogy Luke.....That's one important variable that would have to be considered now that I think about it.

And come to think of it.... that's another reason that I still need our agreed upon 10 to 6.....You have too much thinking power stored in that Chicago Head.;)

I'm thinking I ned another ball now....:(

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:
As a matter of fact, a couple of years ago at Derby City, Corey Deuel had wager going on, where he played the 15 ball One Pocket ghost. He was getting odds -- maybe three to one (does anyone remember?) and betting a hundred, iirc. Nobody would do that betting they would run a hundred in straight pool would they?

I don't think somebody like a John Schmidt would be too big of a dog, getting 3-1 to run a hundred balls....I'm not a professional handicapper like Artie, Billy, and Rod, but I would think that the line for John Schmidt to run a hundred balls would be about 4-1 or 5-1.....Artie, Billy, Rod, or Freddy - what would you guys make the line for that ?

- Ghost

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
I don't think somebody like a John Schmidt would be too big of a dog, getting 3-1 to run a hundred balls....I'm not a professional handicapper like Artie, Billy, and Rod, but I would think that the line for John Schmidt to run a hundred balls would be about 4-1 or 5-1.....Artie, Billy, Rod, or Freddy - what would you guys make the line for that ?

- Ghost
what would you give him for 15 and out???

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:
...That was the same scenario as my friend Joe was referring to......He would often keep shooting after making his 8 to get out and several times he ran all 15 balls against me....Just for practice and fun...
Is Joe N. still able to run 15's??? If so, the game I was considering being able to play him was so far out of line, that I'm happy to have read your post, George!:eek:

Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:
Is Joe N. still able to run 15's??? If so, the game I was considering being able to play him was so far out of line, that I'm happy to have read your post, George!:eek:

Doc

Uh OH!!!!!....Ugh!!!!....I don't quite remember who it was Doc.....It could have been Joe Nelson....I'm not sure:D

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
NH Steve said:
, Corey Deuel had wager going on, where he played the 15 ball One Pocket ghost. He was getting odds -- maybe three to one (does anyone remember?) and betting a hundred, iirc. Nobody would do that betting they would run a hundred in straight pool would they?

Steve....I'm not talking about playing the ghost where you break the balls open...

I just talking about a regular one pocket game with the usual, soft, one pocket break.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:

That might be a little low, IMO. Here's my thinking: There are many guys who can run 100 balls, even though 14.1 is rarely played these days. There are not that many guys who can run 15 in 1P, evidenced by Helfert's 1P ghost challenge at DCC.

There are only a handful of guys who could be expected to run 250. On the other hand, a 14.1 high run is possible from no matter where the guy starts, whereas in 1P it's usually most favorable if the balls are arranged below the side pockets.

So I think it's more difficult to run 15 in 1P than 100 in straight pool. Granted-- both runs take extreme concentration. I'm going to guess that a 150 ball run in 14.1 would be closer to a 15 ball run in 1P.

Schmidt would be a great one to ask. Also Grady. Maybe they'll chime in.

Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:
That might be a little low, IMO. Here's my thinking: There are many guys who can run 100 balls, even though 14.1 is rarely played these days. There are not that many guys who can run 15 in 1P, evidenced by Helfert's 1P ghost challenge at DCC.

There are only a handful of guys who could be expected to run 250. On the other hand, a 14.1 high run is possible from no matter where the guy starts, whereas in 1P it's usually most favorable if the balls are arranged below the side pockets.

So I think it's more difficult to run 15 in 1P than 100 in straight pool. Granted-- both runs take extreme concentration. I'm going to guess that a 150 ball run in 14.1 would be closer to a 15 ball run in 1P.

Schmidt would be a great one to ask. Also Grady. Maybe they'll chime in.

That's a well thought out reply Doc.....:eek:

With that kind of knowledge and Inference to come up with an answer like that :rolleyes: and the fact that you put such a whoopin on me at Bears's Place last time ;) I think I'll be gettin the same spot from you as I'm gettin from the Ghost....

Don't you think?..:cool:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Run 100

Run 100

My former partner, now deceased, was a great pool player. I once asked him how well he played straight pool, he said I can beat everyone from Wisconsin and nobody from New York. He said even the cab drivers in New York run 100 playing straight pool.
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
My former partner, now deceased, was a great pool player. I once asked him how well he played straight pool, he said I can beat everyone from Wisconsin and nobody from New York. He said even the cab drivers in New York run 100 playing straight pool.
Rod.

Reminds me of a very factual observation I've had for years. The average mailman, or service station attendant, in Houston, Dallas, Tulsa, or New Orleans...has more gamble, than the average professional gambler in New York..:eek:

San

PS... Maybe not smarter...but definately WAY more gambling balls. !!!.:rolleyes:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Reminds me of a very factual observation I've had for years. The average mailman, or service station attendant, in Houston, Dallas, Tulsa, or New Orleans...has more gamble, than the average professional gambler in New York..:eek:

San

PS... Maybe not smarter...but definately WAY more gambling balls. !!!.:rolleyes:
I would have a better shor running 15 balls in one pocket then running 100 balls in straight pool. But I wouldnt take a month to do either one. Because unless a miracl;e happines I couldnt do either one.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
gbru said:

Is that close?

thanks...gbru

Just like at straight pool, I think a lot of this has to do with how the pockets are playing. For 1pocket, especially how the table is taking the banks.

Overall, from my personal experience, I've run 15 fewer times than I've run 100. Soooo, I'd say that running 15 is about the same as running 100, but maybe more like 120.

Lou Figueroa