Chicago Artie/Bensingers/Speed Ck

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Did Bugs and Artie ever ''go at it''?
There again, Ghost can elucidate. But Bugs and Artie played often over the years. Artie usually won, but I believe Bugs gave him a little weight, certainly on banks. But I'm not sure about 1P weight. They may have played even on the 5x10? Knowing Bugs and his crew protected Artie in prison when he was there for the booking rap. The word was given to leave him alone.

RA and Artie attempted to get into action, but I believe that RA's backer wouldn't commit. Artie told me that the rumored cue ball hassle --which supposedly prevented them from playing-- was not true.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
we will never know for sure as he only played on his pet table for the most part. and there few wanted any part of him.
he went on the road once or twice i know of and didnt like it too much. for my money he plays too slow and makes the game agonizing, but that also enables him the time to find the perfect shot.
but only a fool plays someone that plays every single shot like their life depended on it. too tough to beat. plus artie is an extremely sharp gambler.
Some people like to test themselves, no need to bet your life on every roll of the dice , but some people want to hunt something besides 3 day old chicks in a nest. It's the sport , dont'cha know. Hey Wut.
To each his own.

beatle

Verified Member
ive always wanted to get better like everyone that plays pool. from my perspective pool has been a gambling game only for me. i dont play for fun other than a short time with select people. and i will rarely play cheap. gambling has to hurt when you lose and exhilarate when you win to be fun and be profitable.

baby huey

Verified Member
It's hard to know who would beat who based on no common dominators. By the early to middle 70's RA had shot his wad. He was no longer the great player he once was in the middle to late 60's. So who was left? Grady played good but not great and Bugs also played good but not great and the same for Allen Hopkins. I'm talking about greatness like todays players. One Pocket took a hit on greatness until Efren learned the game. Most players today are measured against Efren in his prime. He simply took the game to another level. Artie played very good but I can't see him walking with todays great players. Todays players bank too good shoot and run balls too good and move too good.

beatle

Verified Member
texas express 9 nine had some to do with more players getting better quicker. back in the 60,s and some 70,s we still played shootout. you didnt have to kick at balls. but had to be good at one rail banking.
when texas came in everyone had to learn kicking using all the rails which translate to banking multi rails.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
"Some of you?" :rolleyes:...uuh...no one on here except me could have a valid opinion re. that - I'm the only one left here who saw him play in his prime, other than the banned Mr. 3cushion.

Ghost, I have a question. When was Artie's prime? I watched Artie play Boston Shorty and Jersey Red a couple times at Bensinger's on Broadway in the tournament room circa 1969 or 1970. Afterwards, I played Artie for the paltry sum of $10 a game, getting 9 to 2 and all the breaks, but he got 10 to 1 on the money. I won ten straight and he quit. Artie's style of play was defense. I wouldn't give any of the champions of today 10 to 1 on the money, even with the ridiculous spot that Artie had given me 50 years ago, because of their run out abilities.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghost, I have a question. When was Artie's prime? I watched Artie play Boston Shorty and Jersey Red a couple times at Bensinger's on Broadway in the tournament room circa 1969 or 1970. Afterwards, I played Artie for the paltry sum of $10 a game, getting 9 to 2 and all the breaks, but he got 10 to 1 on the money. I won ten straight and he quit. Artie's style of play was defense. I wouldn't give any of the champions of today 10 to 1 on the money, even with the ridiculous spot that Artie had given me 50 years ago, because of their run out abilities.

John...read post #11.

p.s. My bad John...since you're younger than me, I guess I slept you re. peeps that saw Artie play back in the day.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
One other aspect to consider re. Artie vs. Dennis and Alex: the slow play of Dennis and Alex wouldn't bother Artie at all, cuz that's just what Artie liked best ⏳ matter of fact, he'd probably out-slow them and make them not like getting a taste of their own medicine o_O

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
One other aspect to consider re. Artie vs. Dennis and Alex: the slow play of Dennis and Alex wouldn't bother Artie at all, cuz that's just what Artie liked best ⏳ matter of fact, he'd probably out-slow them and make them not like getting a taste of their own medicine o_O

OUT SLOW...………Now there's a word I can relate too, with a four legged player. :)

Now there's a work that Crabb can relate too.....cept he'd use the word out source.
He'd let...……...……... Buddy do all the heavy liftin'. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 24

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
John...read post #11.

p.s. My bad John...since you're younger than me, I guess I slept you re. peeps that saw Artie play back in the day.

Ghost, I firmly agree with nearly everything you stated in post #11. I also gauge that Artie, in his prime, would be a decided underdog if he matched up with not only Efren, in his prime, but you can add the likes of Alex, Busty, and Dennis to that list. There is something mystical about the Filipinos one pocket game which is evident by winning 14 of 21 Derby City Classic one pocket tournaments.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Ghost, I firmly agree with nearly everything you stated in post #11. I also gauge that Artie, in his prime, would be a decided underdog if he matched up with not only Efren, in his prime, but you can add the likes of Alex, Busty, and Dennis to that list. There is something mystical about the Filipinos one pocket game which is evident by winning 14 of 21 Derby City Classic one pocket tournaments.
Their mindset is probably....if you loose you don't eat.
Depression era thinking....
Being ''in the moment'' to them is like pool was here in the 20's give or take 50 yrs.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Some might find the YouTube video of the 2011 U.S. Open semi-final between Alex and Gentile interesting (a framed, autographed T-shirt from that match is hanging on my wall).

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i heard "thru the grapevine" that artie played in 1969 in johnston city
and was undefeated in all 3 disciplines (early rounds) when he was told his father died and left
anybody that was there remember that??

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
i heard "thru the grapevine" that artie played in 1969 in johnston city
and was undefeated in all 3 disciplines (early rounds) when he was told his father died and left
anybody that was there remember that??
At some point Artie told me the only tournament he ever played in was one of the Stardust events, and he was undefeated and his father died and he abruptly went home. That might be in my interview.