Challenge Matches

lfigueroa

Verified Member
It’s confusing to me when you call John Henderson JR. I’ve never heard anyone call him that before your post. There is a JR in Chicago, his name is John Rawski.

Well, if I’m not whacked here shortly by Steve, who appears to be on another jihad against me, I will refrain from referring to him as JR in the future, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Here is the correct poster guys. The old poster was only out 1 day but the One pocket stuff gets shared immediately. Thanks ~ray
288878423_5863517707011605_877454438541075561_n.jpg

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
Speaking of challenge matches, how come none of you guys challenge each other?

And no, don't pick on me -- been there, done that. I mean, here we have all these 1pocket players... why aren't there some $5k-$10k challenges? Maybe even just $1k-$2k? I can think of all kinds of interesting match ups here, but no one ever barks at each other since Ghost and JR.

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'
I will put up a challenge, I’m in Key West, FL. It has to be on the 12’ pyramid table, at the local pool hall, 3-1/4 pockets. I would post pics but it is way to complicated 😒

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I will put up a challenge, I’m in Key West, FL. It has to be on the 12’ pyramid table, at the local pool hall, 3-1/4 pockets. I would post pics but it is way to complicated 😒
I'm in Cocoa Beach, I'll meet you have way in Miami. How about we play on a Really tight table, NO pockets! I'm your Huckleberry!

egrodzki97

From
Southcoast Massachusetts
In a perfect world, I want to see Tony and Alex go at it one more time in a long format.. but in a dream world?? Prime Ronnie Allen against a Prime Tony would get my money in an instant.

unoperro

Verified Member
Can anyone imagine a prime Mosconi playing long sets of 14.1 against players like Orcullo or Shaw? Their 9ball style would have to get him razzled.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Can anyone imagine a prime Mosconi playing long sets of 14.1 against players like Orcullo or Shaw? Their 9ball style would have to get him razzled.
Mosconi played a ton with Greenleaf, and Greenleaf definitely had a flair for the dramatic. Of course I've never seen either of them play (except grainy old footage), but Greenleaf made his living doing exhibitions very successfully for quite a while -- until the demons caught up to him, and all reports talk about his dramatic flair.

On the other hand, the current guys would have to learn safety play themselves or they would get stifled by the experience player in Mosconi.

BeeDigitalVideo

From
San Rafael, CA
I think challenge matches are the best way to see who is the better one pocket player instead of only using tourney results. I am glad there are more happening lately and hope that's a good indicator of things to come. Maybe we can keep track of them here and see where it leads.

Looking for anyone who knows (or wants to research) the challenge matches that have happened going back as far as you would like. There used to be Fight Nights and I know even more before then. I will update this post to have it all in one place and maybe eventually as a separate page on the website along with Joe's cash leaders data he has been tracking.

Please only post if the match was either recorded or streamed. Not looking for stories of "...this one time I saw so and so play for 2 days straight...", let's just stick to matches that can either be verified by viewing it or based on people who saw the stream when it happened.

I think the important info we would want would be something like:

Date(s)
Where it was played
Player names
Player entry or total in the middle
Format (race/ahead set/etc.)
Final Score
(BONUS) - Where can you watch it

So for example, I will start:

July 11-14, 2017
California Billiards
Tony Chohan vs Dennis Orcollo
$100,000 in the middle
Race to 40 over 4 days
Tony wins 40-38
Available to watch at POVPool

Help add any you know, thank you!
Truly excellent idea Cincy Kid! Wish I could add something but when I did most of my serious playing in the late 70’s Challenge Matches were primarily all we did but there was no streaming or video just sheer action! I’ll see if I can come up with something verifiable! Thank you for the wonderful idea!

BeeDigitalVideo

From
San Rafael, CA
Mosconi played a ton with Greenleaf, and Greenleaf definitely had a flair for the dramatic. Of course I've never seen either of them play (except grainy old footage), but Greenleaf made his living doing exhibitions very successfully for quite a while -- until the demons caught up to him, and all reports talk about his dramatic flair.

On the other hand, the current guys would have to learn safety play themselves or they would get stifled by the experience player in Mosconi.
I agree but I also think the old timers would bee a bit baffled about how cavalier today’s players are with their rapid fire offense. Bee great to see how quickly one style would adapt to the other. They’d have to play a few matches over a period of time!