CEULEMANS vs. Sang Chun LEE: 2001 CARL S. CONLON MEMORIAL CUP

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Good game, not so good commentators.

Yeah, In the first set, Mark guessed correctly what RC was going to do.. Then he said, 'That's MY call'.. He really wanted props for calling that shot right.. How much could you have bet that Lee would get that many kisses in a race to 15 set. (The first one. Unreal)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Mr3Cushion (or BillyJ, or anyone who cares to put their opinion):

For this shot here, WWYD?

The shot he chose seems to me a very hard one to execute with little room for error:

I think I would have gone thin off the white with extreme RHE, hit long rail, short rail and then the spin takes it back into the same long rail and to the red for a point.

Thoughts?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Mr3Cushion (or BillyJ, or anyone who cares to put their opinion):

For this shot here, WWYD?

The shot he chose seems to me a very hard one to execute with little room for error:

I think I would have gone thin off the white with extreme RHE, hit long rail, short rail and then the spin takes it back into the same long rail and to the red for a point.

Thoughts?

SCL shot the correct shot! First shot of a very important game, loser is out of the event! He just hit it badly.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Sang basically hit the shot, too full. Here's a diagram that I produced several years ago for students to demonstrate this method.
It simply need the player to make the same, (1/2 ball) hit for all the CB positions. The diagram is basically the same shot SL shot for his first attempt. The only difference is the 3rd ball was a little more towards the middle area of that end of the table.

Half-Ball Progressive Dead-Ball Shots.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Sang basically hit the shot, too full. Here's a diagram that I produced several years ago for students to demonstrate this method.
It simply need the player to make the same, (1/2 ball) hit for all the CB positions. The diagram is basically the same shot SL shot for his first attempt. The only difference is the 3rd ball was a little more towards the middle area of that end of the table.

View attachment 433024
what a great diagram showing the tip placement adjusted for distance and speed of stroke.... 👍 👍

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

View attachment 433024
That's a great diagram indeed, thanks for posting it!

However, we are talking about 2 different shots.

The one I am referring to takes place at 12:15 on the time line, Raymonds shot.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
dave gross mentioned that culemans likes to shoot that type of shot if i remember correctly
also the commentators mentioned the players were having difficulty judging how the spin would take because of the new slippery cloth
but i will of course defer to whatever mr 3c says about it.....:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
That's a great diagram indeed, thanks for posting it!

However, we are talking about 2 different shots.

The one I am referring to takes place at 12:15 on the time line, Raymonds shot.
dave gross mentioned that culemans likes to shoot that type of shot if i remember correctly
also the commentators mentioned the players were having difficulty judging how the spin would take because of the new slippery cloth
but i will of course defer to whatever mr 3c says about it.....:)

The shot RC played at 12:15 is also the correct shot. The cloth on that particular shot has NO effect with the results.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
European players in general, play this type of shot more than American players.
The shot RC played at 12:15 is also the correct shot. The cloth on that particular shot has NO effect with the results.

BTW, another reason why RC played the correct shot is, they are only playing 15 point games, it was also a, 'defensive' shot, even though he hit it a little too hard.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In watching this match, it appeared the cushions played different than other matches that have been posted here. It appeared that coming off the 3 cushion that the cushion did not apply as much spin thus not stretching out the final angle towards the hit, which I noticed the players come up short of target where otherwise they would of hit it. Even with newly clothed the cb did not skid off the rail.
I like the way the cushions played vs. other matches I have watched, for the roll of the ball seemed more natural. I researched Gabriel and they use Klematch Vector cushions, 300 Rapide cloth.
Beautiful final billiard.
Thanks for posting this match. Whitey

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I was there , and that was the first Pro Tournament I ever saw. Great Tournament, I enjoyed every minute of it. When it was over you'll see me in first row. I'm the guy with the blue shirt on.What a great tournament. Thanks for posting it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I was there , and that was the first Pro Tournament I ever saw. Great Tournament, I enjoyed every minute of it. When it was over you'll see me in first row. I'm the guy with the blue shirt on.What a great tournament. Thanks for posting it.
Hey Eddie! If you were there, they must have been serving hot dogs, right?..:)

I thought I caught a glimpse of Bob Jewett. Was he there too?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Look how handsome you used to be...🤣

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I saw you Fast Eddie!