Cecil Tugwell Passes

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That is a shame. If I could obtain bio information and a few photos, I would like to create a memorial page here on OnePocket.org for him. He had a good deal of success at One Pocket. If anyone can help, please use the Contact Us form to reach me.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
"Serps"

"Serps"

In the late 60s, early 70s, at the Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood, and Tournament Billiards in Culver City, we all called Cecil, "Serps," which was short for Cecil the Serpent, who was a puppet in a kid's TV show. He and I played a couple times a week and it was always a battle. I was one of the few people who got along good with him, even those times I managed to win. We always had fun playing, but that wasn't the case with everybody. He could be a bullying, unreasonable monster at times, and often for not much reason. When he was "cool" he was funny and charming.
He could also play pretty crispy. Super creative onepocket player, and an excellent banker.
When I played him he was right handed. His switch to left was astounding.
Very sorry to hear he ended up like he did.
RIP Serps.

Beard

His greatest accomplishment in pool might have been when he sucker-punched Artie at Bensingers.

Attachments

• Cecil the serpent tugwell.jpg
    Cecil the serpent tugwell.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I remember seeing Tugwell at Celebrity Billiards in Hollywood, on Vine St in the late 60's. Did you ever play there, Fred? Cecil was pretty cocky, but a good player. Of course everyone was flyin' in those days. He probably had a pretty rough life. R.I.P.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Celibrity Billiards

Celibrity Billiards

gulfportdoc said:
I remember seeing Tugwell at Celebrity Billiards in Hollywood, on Vine St in the late 60's. Did you ever play there, Fred? Cecil was pretty cocky, but a good player. Of course everyone was flyin' in those days. He probably had a pretty rough life. R.I.P.

Doc

Yeah, I played up there. I remember playing Black Moe there, among others.

Beard

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I'm watching the 1992 Legends match wi Gary Spaeth and Cecil right now. The sound is on mute. I have - A Whiter Shade Of Pale playing over and over full blast.. My personal thing. Travel well......ola

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
In the late 60s, early 70s, at the Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood, and Tournament Billiards in Culver City, we all called Cecil, "Serps," which was short for Cecil the Serpent, who was a puppet in a kid's TV show. He and I played a couple times a week and it was always a battle. I was one of the few people who got along good with him, even those times I managed to win. We always had fun playing, but that wasn't the case with everybody. He could be a bullying, unreasonable monster at times, and often for not much reason. When he was "cool" he was funny and charming.
He could also play pretty crispy. Super creative onepocket player, and an excellent banker.
When I played him he was right handed. His switch to left was astounding.
Very sorry to hear he ended up like he did.
RIP Serps.

Beard

His greatest accomplishment in pool might have been when he sucker-punched Artie at Bensingers.[/QUOTE

I would call that a real surprise. But we made up and became friends. He called me from Detroite and said he was sorry for what he did.

He said he thought I was a sucker so he sucker puntchet me.

But if you no Geciel. I gave him a nick name Tea Bone. Because he joved eating steacks.

And I respected him for calling me like a man. And apoligizing.

Witch I no was hard for Ceciel too do. And the people who no Ceciel no he is hard core. And is not the type off person too apoligize.

It should a lot off class and caracter. I got along great with Ceciel.

Thats because we were both good friends with Harold. And ceciel was a great player.

The way I played he never seen the game played that way. And he probably didnt even no what happened.

Ceciel won the first game and never won another game. He had a lot off talent but that was not enough too win.

Harold told one off the old sweathers this isnt going too take too long.

And the sweather replied he said your wright this is not going too take too long. But Harold didnt understand what the sweather answer meant.

And after the session. The old sweather goes up too Harold and tells Harold I told you this wasant going too take too long.

Harold didnt realize tell after the match. That the old sweather meant that I was going too win not Ceciel.

BUt what did Ceciel Die from? Does anyone no?

Lenny More said Ceciel was the most giffted athlet he ever seen.

And ceciel had a lot off heart and courage. And was a hard compeator. He never too defeat easy.

And he had a great smile and unnocence about him. But deep down insude he was hard core.

From the old School.

Im sorry that Ceciel didnt live a longer life. And would have played some more one pocket and banks.

Too me Ceciel will always be that cloud in the sky. THat just hangs thier and never goes away.

Rest in Peace my Friend. AB.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:

Doc
Funny you mentioned that, I played Cecil 9 ball up there and beat him and like Artie says that he's not a pleasant guy if he thinks your a sucker. He didn't know me and I didn't know him, but I tell you what I had my hands full playing him 9 ball, my best game.

After that he and I kinda got along but he was still pissed at me for beating him in front of his boys, until one time I staked him and he won. After that we were buddies and we didn't have a problem showing one another the respect that we were entitled to. We actually ended up pals and were very friendly and I enjoyed Cecil every where we would meet. Whether it be in Los angeles,St Louis, Det, or at some tournament we would always make it a point to share a little time together.

Cecil was one of the most creative players in the world, and I always enjoyed watching him play. I learned a lot from playing and watching him play, and he could really play.

R.I.P. my pal,
Billy Incardona

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cecil & I played banks one time and he sure hit 'em good. We only played for a few hours but you could see that he always shot the right bank and hit it correctly. He remains the only player I've ever seen safety-break a 9 ball rack playing banks. It had never occurred to me before that night.

Rest in peace Cecil.

Dennis

Jimmy B

Verified Member
vapros said:
Jimmy B, why full-blast?

Vapros. The bose computer speakers are not that loud like I really want them, but I do have em on full volumn when I listen to music, plus I was on the treadmill and it gives me energy, the endorphins etc.. Later Chief............

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
He played before my time, I do remember his pic on the wall in the Jointed Cue, I awalys liked his look, his hair, cloths etc. Sadly I never saw him hit a ball. wen I told Artie I saw his passing online last night Artie turned white. He just cam over for me to show him a old cue we were talking about.

bstroud

Verified Member
I played a lot of one pocket with Cecil and he was always a gentleman to me.

I also made him a cue that he had for years.

I will miss him.

Bill Stroud

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Funny you mentioned that, I played Cecil 9 ball up there and beat him and like Artie says that he's not a pleasant guy if he thinks your a sucker. He didn't know me and I didn't know him, but I tell you what I had my hands full playing him 9 ball, my best game.

After that he and I kinda got along but he was still pissed at me for beating him in front of his boys, until one time I staked him and he won. After that we were buddies and we didn't have a problem showing one another the respect that we were entitled to. We actually ended up pals and were very friendly and I enjoyed Cecil every where we would meet. Whether it be in Los angeles,St Louis, Det, or at some tournament we would always make it a point to share a little time together.

Cecil was one of the most creative players in the world, and I always enjoyed watching him play. I learned a lot from playing and watching him play, and he could really play.

R.I.P. my pal,
Billy Incardona

Well said Billy the ony way I could describe Cecuei is no much heart for man kind.

Ceciel did what he had too do too survive. Billy sais it exacly howe ciciel was strong minded and different then most people.

SAd as it may be Ceciel reminds me off a young man who never found gisplace in life.

Put Ceiciel was live and lived his life the best way he new how. Thier were no gravey trains for Ceicele.

He fought sor everthing he wanted. And did Ceiciel have a chip on his shopulder YEs but that was what made him strong and gave him courage.

Ceicil gave his body and soul too the game he loved.

And nobidy was more off a human being then Cecile Tugwell.

He was honest and wouldntb sluff off the biggest sucker. And Ceicele never pickt his spots.

Nobody plated too good that he wouldnt play them. Maybe just maybe Ceiciel had too much heart.

And not enough life.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
Yeah, I played up there. I remember playing Black Moe there, among others.

Beard
Do you remember that one-armed black guy who played well? For a bridge he used a little block of wood with some pool felt covering a notch made in the wood.

Billy, when did you play at Celebrity? I may have seen you up there and not even known who you were...

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
Artie says that he's not a pleasant guy if he thinks your a sucker.

R.I.P. my pal,
Billy Incardona
I'm sorry for the loss of everyones friend. RIP.

We played when he was playing right handed.

Well since I'm a sucker, when we played, as he got a few games winner he began to verbally abuse me. Unfortunately he didn't take abuse as well as he dished it out. We had a serious problem. He almost lost an eye. I thought he was mentally unstable. Soon after he left Houston, I heard he had gotten his hand smashed for some of the same antics. I don't know if this was true. I am curious as to what happened to his hand ?
Rod.

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
Cecil at the Rack n Cue

Cecil at the Rack n Cue

wincardona said:

R.I.P. my pal,
Billy Incardona

Cecil made a big score at the rack with his right hand. I remember coming in after going around to the bars and he and Jew Paul had been playing one pocket a long time. He won $40K. I can't remember what the spot was. I heard he bought a Rolls Royce, but I never saw that.

Carla

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Calvin Williams from Hardtimes in Bellflower remembered first seeing Cecil Tugwell play, right handed, back in the 60's at a pool room called the Crooked Cue at 28th and Crenshaw. Rags Woods was the house man, he played good banks straight pool and one pocket. They had a lot of ring games there, and action, and a lot of good players came around there, like Ronnie Allen, Cannon Ball, New York Blackie, Cecil.

Calvin also remembered Cecil playing at South Bay Billiards on El
Segundo. Other players in action there were Francisco Galinda, Jimmy
Reid, Johnny Archer. Dave Hemmah was the house man.

Calvin remembered the time in the early 80's when Chuck still owned Hard
Times in Bellflower and he staked Cecil in a challenge match to play
Efren Reyes, best 4 out of 7. Everyone wanted to bet on Efren, they were
giving 3 to 1 odds. The match went hill-hill and Cecil ran 8 and out for
the cash.

Detroit Carla remembers Cecil was a regular at the Rack n Cue in Detroit in the 70's. He played great one pocket, right handed, and made some big scores.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Do you remember that one-armed black guy who played well? For a bridge he used a little block of wood with some pool felt covering a notch made in the wood.

Billy, when did you play at Celebrity? I may have seen you up there and not even known who you were...

Doc
If Celebrity Billiards was up the street from The Billiard Den I only played there once. As you walked in the door there was a pretty tight Gold Crown, that's the table I played Cecil on. I'm almost positive it was Celebrity.

It must of been around 1967 or 68

Billy I.