CAN YOU NAME WHO IS IN THIS PICTURE???

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Back in 1961 there was a ton of action at the Wonderbowl in Anaheim, CA. I watched Detroit Whitey and Johnny ‘Cannonball’ Chapman, play one pocket for hours. Chapman finally busted Whitey, and Whitey bit him for $10. Whitey set up a tough shot on the snooker table, and bet the ten. He pumped it up to $50 and challenged Cannonball to a short set again. Johnny said ‘ I busted you once and I will do it again’. This time Whitey busted him. I went home, got some sleep and came back the next day. Whitey was busted again.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Tugboat was the head referee.

Thanks again, Jay. I know there was another ref named E. H. Hazard from NJ. If anyone has a picture of him or a picture of Mike Stickoff or Larry Galloway or Eddie McGehean or especially Don Tozer, would you please post it or just tell me where I might can go see them. It doesn't have to be in a Johnston City setting at all. Any time or place is fine.

I noticed a guy, Russ, maybe, with a Facebook page called Original Art telling some stories on the One Pocket Facebook site, lately, albeit in Artie fashion, if anyone wants to check them. From the Le Cue Flyboy, Jersey Red etc. days. He sure knew Rod...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks again, Jay. I know there was another ref named E. H. Hazard from NJ. If anyone has a picture of him or a picture of Mike Stickoff or Larry Galloway or Eddie McGehean or especially Don Tozer, would you please post it or just tell me where I might can go see them. It doesn't have to be in a Johnston City setting at all. Any time or place is fine.

I noticed a guy, Russ, maybe, with a Facebook page called Original Art telling some stories on the One Pocket Facebook site, lately, albeit in Artie fashion, if anyone wants to check them. From the Le Cue Flyboy, Jersey Red etc. days. He sure knew Rod...
Jimmy, Mike S. was from Chicago, he played 14.1 very well. Usually finished in the Top 5 in the yearly Chicago 14.1 Championship in the 60's-early 70's. When 14.1 died out, he tried his hand at 3C, He was a total 'Defensive' player.

In a 3C tournament at Bensingers, he and Joe Diaz a notoriously slow player also had a 4hr 25 point game! They were both barred from playing for awhile.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Yes he mentioned Rod in one of his recent stories

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Jimmy; this is the only photo I have in my collection of Don Tozer.
From a 1966 3C event in Lansing, MI.
Note; Joe Procita in the first row. And my mentor, Ernie Presto 1st (left) in the backrow.

To my knowledge, all these players are gone, except maybe Ken Allswede, Don Tozer is right behind him.

In my life, I played every player in this photo, except Ralph Keith.

19663Cevent in LansingMI.jpg

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Jimmy; this is the only photo I have in my collection of Don Tozer.
From a 1966 3C event in Lansing, MI.
Note; Joe Procita in the first row. And my mentor, Ernie Presto 1st (left) in the backrow.

To my knowledge, all these players are gone, except maybe Ken Allswede, Don Tozer is right behind him.

In my life, I played every player in this photo, except Ralph Keith.

Ok. Had time to study the photo. Their names are listed as if they are in one long line. Tozer in jacket and bow tie wearing glasses, and he WON!! Thanks a lot, Bill.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
It's not a great pic, but, here's Mike Stichauf. standing in the background of this photo.

Great pic.. Nice little piece of paper you're holding there. Better than a pink slip, right?? And also appreciate you letting me know how his name was spelled. I actually had a feeling those Jansco guys had butchered it on that player board that I had posted earlier. lmao.. Doc and I were talking about them misspelling names in another thread.. lol.. Those guys. Pretty good stab at it phonetically, though..lol...

jay helfert

Verified Member

Eddie McGehean was a very good player. Tozer was more well known as an exhibition and trick shot player, but could play a good game of Straight Pool as well.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
You were a handsome young guy there Billy boy. Did you ever gamble with Fats? I thought you may have.
I was always pretty well dressed in those days. When Fats had his TV show in Chicago, 'Celebrity Billiards with Minnesota Fats,' He didn't come around Bensingers. But, one of his Celebrity opponents did, Milton Berle. Berle played Fats 3 cushion on the show, He showed up at the room with Phil Wienthrob, (Pitcher for the Cubs in the 50's) and David Diwinter the pianist for the, 'Pump Room' in the Ambassador East Hotel on the Gold Coast. They introduced me to Berle, we played 3 games to 25 points for $10 bucks a game. I won all 3 games and He stiffed me! He said, "I wouldn't have taken you money Kid!"

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

jay helfert

Verified Member
I was always pretty well dressed in those days. When Fats had his TV show in Chicago, 'Celebrity Billiards with Minnesota Fats,' He didn't come around Bensingers. But, one of his Celebrity opponents did, Milton Berle. Berle played Fats 3 cushion on the show, He showed up at the room with Phil Wienthrob, (Pitcher for the Cubs in the 50's) and David Diwinter the pianist for the, 'Pump Room' in the Ambassador East Hotel on the Gold Coast. They introduced me to Berle, we played 3 games to 25 points for $10 bucks a game. I won all 3 games and He stiffed me! He said, "I wouldn't have taken you money Kid!"
Never play on the wire, especially with entertainers. Learned that lesson in L.A. Played pool with Jimmy Caan (50 a set) and Don Johnson (10 a game) and they paid off each time. A well comic at the time (Damn I forget his name. He was on a couple of popular TV shows) tried to high roll me for 50 a game at Eight Ball. After he lost one game he said he was going to get the money from his car and never came back. He was a little guy, Arnold ?.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Never play on the wire, especially with entertainers. Learned that lesson in L.A. Played pool with Jimmy Caan (50 a set) and Don Johnson (10 a game) and they paid off each time. A well comic at the time (Damn I forget his name. He was on a couple of popular TV shows) tried to high roll me for 50 a game at Eight Ball. After he lost one game he said he was going to get the money from his car and never came back. He was a little guy, Arnold ?.
Jay; not related to the Berle incident. One thing is for sure, No one gambling for Huge$ has ever made a Big score by not allowing the opponent go on the wire!!!!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Stang ?