Bugs vs. top one-pocket players of today?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Back when I was in High School, I had some buddies that would drink 4 oz bottles of Robitussin DM and they described it as a 6-8 hour buzz that was similar to acid/mushrooms. If that's true, I cant imagine playing pool that way! :)

As far as Bugs competing with players today, I think he and all of the legends could compete with the best today if they were both used to the same conditions and equipment as the other like someone said earlier.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Back when I was in High School, I had some buddies that would drink 4 oz bottles of Robitussin DM and they described it as a 6-8 hour buzz that was similar to acid/mushrooms. If that's true, I cant imagine playing pool that way! :)

As far as Bugs competing with players today, I think he and all of the legends could compete with the best today if they were both used to the same conditions and equipment as the other like someone said earlier.
DM is not even in the same drug category as Robitussin AC! A C for Codeine is a narcotic. the syrup is a combination of Guaifenesin and Codeine.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I used to have a source for getting large bottles of Tussionex and Hycodan. I drank quite a bit of those, but do not recommend it. They can help you play better at first , but it's not worth it...

baby huey

Verified Member
I was in Portland Ore. in 1967 on my first road trip. I was playing at Amato's Bowl on a 4X8 $5 nine ball with a guy named Chico John. It was about 1:30 AM and he said he needed to buy some OIL before the store closed. He left along with a bunch of other guys. When they came back they were all drinking Robitussin with Codeine. Back then they called it "Chuging Oil." Back then you could buy that stuff over the counter at least in Oregon. By the way, he played great for about 5 hours but he crashed and burned. I got the cash. I made a big score about $50 LOL.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Steve; Codeine calms you down, what's better than being calm when you're gambling and the nerves have to be steady.
The cough syrup was big with a lot of the brothers because it was cheap too.

Once I started going to The Rack regular I couldn’t believe all the champions that were drunk, high or stoned on one thing or/and another.

I swear it must have been 80% at least. I always thought what the fug is wrong with all of them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

baby huey

Verified Member
OK this thread has a life of its own. On the aforementioned trip, I went to Tacoma and played George Michaels (original George Michaels) Tacoma Whitey. He could play all games well and just a ball under Ronnie and the other greats of that ERA. I got drilled getting 9/7 and pumped back up and lost again. I played him three no count even and beat him my money back. We became great friends. He shot bathroom dice as good as any living human.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The cough syrup was big with a lot of the brothers because it was cheap too.

Once I started going to The Rack regular I couldn’t believe all the champions that were drunk, high or stoned on one thing or/and another.

I swear it must have been 80% at least. I always thought what the fug is wrong with all of them. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Steve, I get you. I could never understand, (except for the stay awake factor) why many players of the 70's 80's played on 'Uppers'! Pills, Cocaine, Meth. It makes you jittery as all hell.

I wonder if the, 'Modern Day Chemical' players use Adderall? I would think it would be helpful.

beatle

Verified Member
so many of the pool players from that era that smoked and used drugs died young. i wonder if there was a correlation to that.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
OK this thread has a life of its own. On the aforementioned trip, I went to Tacoma and played George Michaels (original George Michaels) Tacoma Whitey. He could play all games well and just a ball under Ronnie and the other greats of that ERA. I got drilled getting 9/7 and pumped back up and lost again. I played him three no count even and beat him my money back. We became great friends. He shot bathroom dice as good as any living human.

Can you expound on Bathroom Dice and how that goeth? Did you go on a trip in the southeast one time with Dee Ford, Bento and Hopkins?? mid 70's??

baby huey

Verified Member
Bathroom Dice was shooting craps out of the open. If you played that game, you lost your cash. I made two trips through the south and southeast both times with Hawaiian Brian in the early seventies.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Can you expound on Bathroom Dice and how that goeth? Did you go on a trip in the southeast one time with Dee Ford, Bento and Hopkins?? mid 70's??
Bathroom dice, uses more dice than regular craps games. Thats the main difference.