Buddy vs Shannon - '98 Legends of One Pocket

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Here's a shot from the finals of the '98 Legends of One Pocket. It's Buddy's shot, he's down 5-0 in balls and 4-2 in games. His pocket is 'A' just to be clear. They're racing to 5. What would you shoot?

<iframe src="http://CueTable.com/P/Player/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr@" noresize="noresize" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="no" width="600" height="400" ></iframe>

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Here's my guess.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr2cUcV2cbrx3kKCl2kTmG2kUvb@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2Hbrx2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN2PUvb4QdGu3Rchr@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj4HALY2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN2PUvb4QdGu3Rchr@[/CUETABLE]

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
This could be an interesting shot.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr4UaTq4Ubbi1aXHf1abqe2aBbs1bQuj1bRtm4bbwr4baTa4bWRt3kKCl1kQuS1kVch1kWjg@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ace i think being frozen to the rail and the amount of force you would need to pocket the 7 might be tough to control the q.
dennis . i think you would have to cut the a 8 alittle to the right to make it so the q would hit the long rail and the end up where you put it.
at least thats the shot i saw when i looked at the layout before i saw your post

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
androd said:
Well if I had a needle I'd shoot myself. ;)

Yeah, I think that was probably also going through Buddy's mind. :) It's a tough spot, and he was probably doomed no matter what given the way that Shannon was playing in that tournament and in this match. But, I do feel like this was his last chance in this game to even attempt to turn things around and he shot a shot that left Shannon an easy response and after that it was all up table and over and done with.

As for which shot I like, Dennis called it. I think it's much stronger than what Buddy shot, which was to hit the 7 and try and hide the 1 from Shannon, which he did. The problem is that Shannon could (and did) easily hit the 4 and leave the cueball on the short rail below the 1. I was surprised to see Buddy choose a shot that was so easy to respond to, although to give him the benefit of the doubt, Shannon was playing awesome and had Buddy really frustrated. I can't imagine playing someone with Shannon's offense who also was squeezing me in between amazing shots. It's got to be unbearable.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
When I'm viewing this thread, my "back" arrow does not work and I have to click on the forums link to get back. Anybody else have the same problem?

The "back" arrow works in all other threads, WEI table or not.

Dennis

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
When I'm viewing this thread, my "back" arrow does not work and I have to click on the forums link to get back. Anybody else have the same problem?

The "back" arrow works in all other threads, WEI table or not.

Dennis

Dennis,

it will happen every time someone posts one of those "little tables". Not sure how twister did that. I remember tracking it down months ago, but I thought it had something to do with the New Wei Table link from here, but that doesn't pull up a table anymore. I haven't seen a "little table" in awhile. Maybe twister can tell us the exact steps he did to get the "little table"

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
lll said:
ace i think being frozen to the rail and the amount of force you would need to pocket the 7 might be tough to control the q.
dennis . i think you would have to cut the a 8 alittle to the right to make it so the q would hit the long rail and the end up where you put it.
at least thats the shot i saw when i looked at the layout before i saw your post
Yeah....I agree completely. I said it would be an interesting shot but did not meen it would be the right shot to shoot here. I would have give up on trying to protect the 1-ball and used it to play a simple safety.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr4UaTq4Ucgk4UaLe3kKCl4kXxB4kbjF@[/CUETABLE]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
ace said:
Yeah....I agree completely. I said it would be an interesting shot but did not meen it would be the right shot to shoot here. I would have give up on trying to protect the 1-ball and used it to play a simple safety.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr4UaTq4Ucgk4UaLe3kKCl4kXxB4kbjF@[/CUETABLE]
If you'll do this in the event you happen to be down a few balls, maybe I will play you :D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:
If you'll do this, in the event you happen to be down a few balls, maybe I will play you

Oh, my, God..this site is really getting ruthless now....when Clare fronted beatle several months ago, I thought that was pretty hardcore :eek:.....but now it's gotten to where even Steve Booth is fronting and woofing at people...:eek::eek:....:D:D

- Ghost

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
One Pocket Ghost said:
Oh, my, God..this site is really getting ruthless now....when Clare fronted beatle several months ago, I thought that was pretty hardcore :eek:.....but now it's gotten to where even Steve Booth is fronting and woofing at people...:eek::eek:....:D:D

- Ghost

What's your shot here Ghost? 8, 7 or other?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
twister said:
What's your shot here Ghost? 8, 7 or other?

Carey......Obviously, the shooter will just be playing a soft lag safety here, and #1. on the priority list is to not let him see your 1ball...goal #2. would be to trap him, where he has no safe return shot - but I can't see any viable way to accomplish that....so, back to accomplishing #1. goal and not letting him see the 1ball >>>

You could come off of the 6, 7, or 8ball to accomplish this, as Buddy tried and as others have said...but I would come off of the 9ball instead, as I've shown in my wei-table…there’s not a big difference between the four choices, but the reason that I would choose to come off of the 9, is because I think there is more chance of something going wrong, like leaving your opponent a shot, etc. by shooting off of the 6, 7, or 8...

Here’s my safety >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPwM3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr3kKCl2kMEE1kAnn@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Hrm, I can't say I agree with the 9 there. If you shoot this, then Shannon or whoever will just reposition the 2 on the long rail on his side of the table and leave the cue ball on the end rail below the 1.

Buddy's soft shot on the 7 left Shannon this same type of shot, except off of the 4 and not the 2. Once Shannon repositions a ball on his long rail below the side pocket, Buddy can no longer so easily leave the cue ball up table and so he has more or less given up any chance he had left in this game. That's why I think you need to shoot something that doesn't allow this type of return shot.

I'd say again that you either need to shoot the 8 (yes, it's a hard shot, but hey, you're down 5-0, you need to do something) or go off the 6 or 7 in such a way that Shannon can't simply move the 4 like he did.

One Pocket Ghost said:
Carey......Obviously, the shooter will just be playing a soft lag safety here, and #1. on the priority list is to not let him see your 1ball...goal #2. would be to trap him, where he has no safe return shot - but I can't see any viable way to accomplish that....so, back to accomplishing #1. goal and not letting him see the 1ball >>>

You could come off of the 6, 7, or 8ball to accomplish this, as Buddy tried and as others have said...but I would come off of the 9ball instead, as I've shown in my wei-table…there’s not a big difference between the four choices, but the reason that I would choose to come off of the 9, is because I think there is more chance of something going wrong, like leaving your opponent a shot, scratching like Buddy did, etc. by shooting off of the 6, 7, or 8...

Here’s my safety >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FXHf1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPwM3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr3kKCl2kMEE1kAnn@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
twister said:
Hrm, I can't say I agree with the 9 there. If you shoot this, then Shannon or whoever will just reposition the 2 on the long rail on his side of the table and leave the cue ball on the end rail below the 1.

Buddy's soft shot on the 7 left Shannon this same type of shot, except off of the 4 and not the 2. Once Shannon repositions a ball on his long rail below the side pocket, Buddy can no longer so easily leave the cue ball up table and so he has more or less given up any chance he had left in this game. That's why I think you need to shoot something that doesn't allow this type of return shot.

I'd say again that you either need to shoot the 8 (yes, it's a hard shot, but hey, you're down 5-0, you need to do something) or go off the 6 or 7 in such a way that Shannon can't simply move the 4 like he did.

My bad.....I wasn't seeing the wei-table clearly - I would not let my opponent see the inside half of the 2ball...I thought I had positioned the cueball ending up so that the 4ball was snookering the inside half of the 2ball from my opponent...

And as for you saying - "hey, you're down 5-0, you need to do something".....Well then, down 5 to 0, I also might take a chance on a 'high-reward-but-would-need-to-be-hit-with-perfect-speed' intentional safety, to get a lock-up snooker on my opponent, like this >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FWqe1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr3kKCl1kcoK1kUWo1kREB@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
My bad.....I wasn't seeing the wei-table clearly - I would not let my opponent see the inside half of the 2ball...I thought I had positioned the cueball ending up so that the 4ball was snookering the inside half of the 2ball from my opponent...

And as for you saying - "hey, you're down 5-0, you need to do something".....Well then, down 5 to 0, I also might take a chance on a 'high-reward-but-would-need-to-be-hit-with-perfect-speed' intentional safety, to get a lock-up snooker on my opponent, like this >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaTq4BOHc4CVvh4DPLC1ETbx1FWqe1GQuj2HUcV2INCN2JPgQ3KbDL3LXiM3MVNN3NSsN3OQgN3PKCl4QdGu3Rchr3kKCl1kcoK1kUWo1kREB@[/CUETABLE]

You are so easily confused...:eek: Are you trying to "lemon" me, by making wrong shot selections ???....Its working so far..:D

The Dead Duck <---is twapped again..:cool:

PS.. Had to break my "cone of silence" to respond to this %#&*^#! WEI post...:eek: ;)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
You are so easily confused...Are you trying to "lemon" me, by making wrong shot selections ???....Its working so far..:D

The Dead Duck <---is twapped again.

PS.. Had to break my "cone of silence" to respond to this %#&*^#! WEI post...:eek: ;)

Oh horror of horrors!...:eek:...please don't tell me that now that you've made nice with Freddy, and have nobody else to pick on, you're going to start following me around again, flailing at me with your cane and muttering nonsense at me...:rolleyes:

- Ghrosty

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Oh horror of horrors!...:eek:...please don't tell me that now that you've made nice with Freddy, and have nobody else to pick on, you're going to start following me around again, flailing at me with your cane and muttering nonsense at me...:rolleyes:

- Ghrosty

I might...!!!!

View attachment 1233

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghrosty

Ghosty,

He's obviously too afraid to gamble with me on this seasons NFL games so he might as well pick on you. To tell the truth though, I am kind of tired of robbing him.

Dennis