bridge hand distance

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fats and cincy
being close to the cue ball allows you to hit closer to where you are aiming as there is less distance to go off track
your accurate low hit offsets any disadvantage of the shorter bridge
jmho
i dont play so good
but think i know alot.....:ROFLMAO:

baby huey

Verified Member
It is very difficult to change your game with respect to bridge length and etc. Mostly its how you learned when you began playing that you established your playing style. I've tried many bridges including length and open handed/closed handed bridges. Watch some Buddy Hall videos to see how a big guy played with a short stroke and say Alex playing with a long stroke. Their accomplishments are similiar. That tells me that it really doesn't matter too much about bridge length but that if your fundmentals are superior such that any style works if you possess great ball striking skills.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
It is very difficult to change your game with respect to bridge length and etc. Mostly its how you learned when you began playing that you established your playing style. I've tried many bridges including length and open handed/closed handed bridges. Watch some Buddy Hall videos to see how a big guy played with a short stroke and say Alex playing with a long stroke. Their accomplishments are similiar. That tells me that it really doesn't matter too much about bridge length but that if your fundmentals are superior such that any style works if you possess great ball striking skills.
Bad information....bridge length has Everything to do your upcoming shot.
Bridge distance and fundamentals, go hand in hand.
With the generation of shafts that has come along in the last 30 yrs, players are able to have More shaft sticking out than in the past and are able to control the shot, because of less shaft flexing.
Set up a simple draw shot straight back.
If I've got 4'' of shaft sticking out, or 11'' sticking out, which bridge distance would one choose if they wanted to draw the ball 5 feet?
Another.
If the object ball is only 3'' from the cue ball, would you need?? a 4'' warmup swing, or an 11'' warm up swing.
Me, I'm using a 2'' nip bridge warm up swing with my Knuckles tucked in

baby huey

Verified Member
Big Foot, I completely disagree. You are forgetting too many past champions who played great with short bridges and strokes who played with wood not low deflection materials. Not one 3C player of any note plays with a long stroke. Maybe Mr. 3C can chime in here? I do believe the open handed bridge helps with sighting but other than that, I remain unconvinced.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Big Foot, I completely disagree. You are forgetting too many past champions who played great with short bridges and strokes who played with wood not low deflection materials. Not one 3C player of any note plays with a long stroke. Maybe Mr. 3C can chime in here? I do believe the open handed bridge helps with sighting but other than that, I remain unconvinced.
I'm not going to argue, taught for 10 yrs, and learned quite a bit overseeing the Instructor program at the BCA office when they first moved to CO. If you can get Bob Jewett to agree with you, let me know. PM him to look at this thread.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Yeah, Mr 3 Bill hasn't been on the site in over a week.. I know he had health issues. Hope he's ok....

baby huey

Verified Member
Big Foot, no argument from me but I do think great ball strikers exist with many different styles. In the end, it's mostly about hand/eye coordination and belief in your respective skill set IMO.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Jerry got to agree...watch Fransico's stroke and bridge length...I defer to Freddy the Beards words of wisdom to me...hit a million balls and you might become a player...

beatle

Verified Member
looks like you caught rod using a dangling participle. shame on him.