Boiling Frogs

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Today a fellow at the pool room tried to convince me that if two players had the same Fargo, though based upon a different game, that that rating would mean those two players would be equally matched at 1pocket.

So I tried to explain the importance of knowledge and experience when it comes to 1pocket. And, though two players could be equally matched as ball strikers and position players, the player with the greater depth of knowledge and experience at 1pocket would alway prevail. From there I tried to explain different depths of knowledge for 1pocket and, what a newer player would think was good knowledge, would be surpassed by a more experienced player, and that that knowledge would be surpassed further by someone with even more knowledge and experience, and so on.

Basically, I tried to explain that what often happens at 1pocket, when there is a marked difference in knowledge and experience, is that the better player will alway be exerting more pressure and alway presenting more difficult situations to the less experience player. And, at some point, as with the fable of the frog placed in water with the temperature very slowly raised, they will boil and die without attempting to jump out of the pot.

Somehow, I think that's a good metaphor for 1pocket.

Lou Figueroa

unoperro

Verified Member
As those Fargo #s get higher , the experience factor probably diminshes.
The frog analogy is often spot on !

beatle

Verified Member
it would be true if fargo was based on one pocket. and not on a different game.

its not quite the same but like comparing a great ping pong player to a great tennis player of equal stature having to play racket ball.

in any case two fargo equals that havent ever played or played the same amount of one pocket should start off even up.
and the smartest one will win.

unoperro

Verified Member
it would be true if fargo was based on one pocket. and not on a different game.

its not quite the same but like comparing a great ping pong player to a great tennis player of equal stature having to play racket ball.

in any case two fargo equals that havent ever played or played the same amount of one pocket should start off even up.
and the smartest one will win.

Many dont realize just how good the top players really play. SVB,Alex,Dennis,Gorst arent beyond drilling a 6 ft off angle combination that would stymie mere mortals. They all can bank,know caroms,billiards,and have fantastic cueball control.
Remember our Dr. Bill playing SVB that 1 ball game? Dr. said he shoots too straight and learns quickly.
Would love his input on this subject

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I think what Lou is saying is right on..........to a point. Experience and knowledge can over come shot making to a point. That being said, the longer a match goes on the more chance the shooter has to learn and compete.

Would be interesting to try to quantify just how much of a disparity in shooting capability (measured by Fargo rating, I suppose) an experienced one pocket player can actually overcome. I think quite a lot, but not infinite for sure.

My own experience is that it is relatively easy to defeat players of less experience as it is relatively hard to defeat players of greater experience, whatever that means.... :unsure: ....:)

lfigueroa

Verified Member
One thing I know is that an experienced 1pocket player can often beat a superior ball striker if that player doesn't play much 1pocket.

I've played lots of guys that would clean my clock at 9ball but I can beat playing 1pocket. Just as an example, one year at Tunica I drew a young guy my first round that I could tell was liable to drill in anything and everything. The first game he gets me 3-0 and in a trap. I take a foul, then another, and eventually I wiggle out to win that game and eventually the match, 3-0.

There was just a big knowledge gap.

Lou Figueroa
frog boiler

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I was definitely the frog at one point. These days I dont think anyone could hide their game enough to where I was the frog.

I think we all start out as frogs.

Most of us here have grown out of it, but some, not so much.

Lou Figueroa

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have always said/thought that knowledgeable one pocket players will prevail against better ball strikers, and I am sure it's still true to a degree. But when you get up into the top echelon of players, I have started to question that thought process. It seems to me the great ball strikers like Filler have proven that even with a lesser degree of knowledge, their ball striking / pocketing ability shines through because, well they don't miss much. I think of Gomez too, great ball striker, yet still learning one hole, yet boosted up into top 20 (maybe even top 10) in the world playing it.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Today a fellow at the pool room tried to convince me that if two players had the same Fargo, though based upon a different game, that that rating would mean those two players would be equally matched at 1pocket.

So I tried to explain the importance of knowledge and experience when it comes to 1pocket. And, though two players could be equally matched as ball strikers and position players, the player with the greater depth of knowledge and experience at 1pocket would alway prevail. From there I tried to explain different depths of knowledge for 1pocket and, what a newer player would think was good knowledge, would be surpassed by a more experienced player, and that that knowledge would be surpassed further by someone with even more knowledge and experience, and so on.

Basically, I tried to explain that what often happens at 1pocket, when there is a marked difference in knowledge and experience, is that the better player will alway be exerting more pressure and alway presenting more difficult situations to the less experience player. And, at some point, as with the fable of the frog placed in water with the temperature very slowly raised, they will boil and die without attempting to jump out of the pot.

Somehow, I think that's a good metaphor for 1pocket.

Lou Figueroa
A great bank pool player has a distinct advantage to a rotation player with the same Fargo rating.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
As I have always thought for this discussion
If you can move well and beat the guy to the shot twice as often as he gets a shot but can only run two balls each time you still lose 8 to 4 if the guy runs out after one mistake

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Agreed... anyone that is a 700 fargo is going to be tough action... unless they hate money

lfigueroa

Verified Member
As I have always thought for this discussion
If you can move well and beat the guy to the shot twice as often as he gets a shot but can only run two balls each time you still lose 8 to 4 if the guy runs out after one mistake

If you can only average two balls an opportunity you are not a frog, you are a duck — a dead duck, lol.

And probably should take up a game other than 1pocket.

Lou Figueroa

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I think in any given match, you will find that if you kept tabs on how many balls are made every time a shooter gets a shot and makes his first ball, you will find the average is far closer to maybe 2 or 3 than it is to 8 and out. I think there are far too many variables to try to talk in any kind of certain terms.