Bluegrass Billiards WWYD 12

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
hard to tell on the pic angles but I see it as this being possible:

View attachment 437934

The 8 banks either into the 11/7 or maybe between the 7 and 3 but ICBW. If the 8 is going to disturb the 1/3 then it's no bueno.
Well here it is…. My shot selection. For those who think me insane let me explain. I saw the position of the balls as actually favoring my opponent a bit and wanted to “Rearrange the furniture” if I could do so and not sell out.

Larry your comment about pocketing the 8 for him was a possibility, but more than that, I was concerned about the 8 catching the 11 full or the 1/3 off the rail and sitting there for a sellout. Therefore if I was to play this shot I had to really overcut the 5/8 so the 8 banked shorter.

seeing where the 10 was I also decided to use something I learned last month in a wwyd and come off his long rail kicking it away and moving the cue uptable on his side. So many fun components of this shot it just had to shoot it 😂😂

So I overcut the 5/8 combo with low left draw, sending them both towards my side, kicking the 10 my way also and moving the cue uptable on his side.

worked out fairly well. Not as well as I hoped (I could have gotten lucky) but I did what I tried and moved a few balls away from his side as well.

putting him under the 1 via KYs shot or off the 10 may have been a stronger leave but oftentimes good things happen when throwing multiple balls towards my hole so I am ok with this attempt.

Here was the original again..

95500265-2349-4F40-9D2E-16210A7EC685.jpeg

And Here was the result….

09516E09-EDF7-45ED-A91A-6E0A3492D124.jpeg

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
Honestly I did not see this and think it may be the best shot mentioned in the whole thread. Not difficult, moves a ball by your hole, and hides Rocky. Only issue is leaving a potential bank on that 10 but it’s no hanger. Sidenote: KY you have been a consistent poster and member for a long time and are a really good player. We have lots of guys who should be considered if/when we sponsor players to tournaments and I think you should be on that list for sure.

Thanks Mitch, really kind of you to say!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Well here it is…. My shot selection. For those who think me insane let me explain. I saw the position of the balls as actually favoring my opponent a bit and wanted to “Rearrange the furniture” if I could do so and not sell out.

Larry your comment about pocketing the 8 for him was a possibility, but more than that, I was concerned about the 8 catching the 11 full or the 1/3 off the rail and sitting there for a sellout. Therefore if I was to play this shot I had to really overcut the 3/8 so the 8 banked shorter.

seeing where the 10 was I also decided to use something I learned last month in a wwyd and come off his long rail kicking it away and moving the cue uptable on his side. So many fun components of this shot it just had to shoot it 😂😂

So I overcut the 3/8 combo with low left draw, sending them both towards my side, kicking the 10 my way also and moving the cue uptable on his side.

worked out fairly well. Not as well as I hoped (I could have gotten lucky) but I did what I tried and moved a few balls away from his side as well.

putting him under the 1 via KYs shot or off the 10 may have been a stronger leave but oftentimes good things happen when throwing multiple balls towards my hole so I am ok with this attempt.

View attachment 437938

View attachment 437937
nice shot mitch
i think you meant to say you overcut the 5/8 combo not the 3/8 combo

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
More than living up to your reputation...."gofer" is truly your middle name......congrats for pulling that shot off...... :)

P.S.....not with a gun to my head, a machete at my throat and standing on two IED's

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hi Mitch, I like the results you got from your shot. By your shot choice it is evident that you are "One very aggressive player!"
I also like that you posted a before and after of this situation. I like it because I greatly enjoy trying to analyze how each ball arrived at it's final destination. A lot happened on this shot and I've just begun this process. I have a few balls figured out but the ball that really has me stumped is the 4 ball. How in hell did that ball end up in the upper left corner?

I'll text you my number. Do you still have the same number?
Call anytime....I won't be here.
Just kidding of course.

Cheers,
Tom

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Hi Mitch, I like the results you got from your shot. By your shot choice it is evident that you are "One very aggressive player!"
I also like that you posted a before and after of this situation. I like it because I greatly enjoy trying to analyze how each ball arrived at it's final destination. A lot happened on this shot and I've just begun this process. I have a few balls figured out but the ball that really has me stumped is the 4 ball. How in hell did that ball end up in the upper left corner?

I'll text you my number. Do you still have the same number?
Call anytime....I won't be here.
Just kidding of course.

Cheers,
Tom
Had to be the 5 ball that did that. This shot had to have been hit very hard.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Frank think about when you are in the chair and the other guy is about to bank a ball into the stack going towards your hole. How you have to hold your breath. That’s what’s almost guaranteed to happen after your shot. Then it’s a matter of which of you gets a good roll and is off to the races. Why play that game if you done have to? No leaving visibility on this balls on my long rail as a return is a hard pass for me.
I see that now. Thanks. I considered your shot but backed off...not sure where I would leave the cue.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Larry your comment about pocketing the 8 for him was a possibility, but more than that, I was concerned about the 8 catching the 11 full or the 1/3 off the rail and sitting there for a sellout. Therefore if I was to play this shot I had to really overcut the 5/8 so the 8 banked shorter.

So I overcut the 5/8 combo with low left draw, sending them both towards my side, kicking the 10 my way also and moving the cue uptable on his side.

View attachment 437938

View attachment 437937
I see my return shot and I like it😂

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Don’t you ever miss?? Heh. That was the smartest shot imo while I was at the table. Though not what I shot 😂
I'm probably one of the worst ball makers in the forum. I like the idea of your shot of rearranging the furniture, but only if I am in real trouble, I know the importance of multiple ball movement, but the more balls that are moving, the easier it is to get a kiss and lose the game. I never played as well as you do , so I had to stay within a more controlled zone. For me , that is the biggest secret to One Pocket. Know your strengths and weaknesses and play within them. Whatever level. The time for experimentation is on the practice table, not playing for a sizeable bet.
Long ago, you used to be able to lose 500 in the afternoon and get it back that night, nowadays , if you lose 500 it might take you 2 weeks to even find someone with 500 they could possibly lose, not saying they will! Of course the guy you lost the original 500 to is usually MIA for a few days , comes back and needs a dollar for a coffee to get rid of the cob webs.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
great shot mitch. but you did get lucky like the 4 ball not straight in for him or something else coming out. but it worked and thats what counts.
and you moved the balls to a good position for you.

im going to still shoot the 6 and draw my ball some and if i hit the 4 it will be on its left side so my cueball will end up near his rail and i will have some kind of shot. and maybe not leave him a shot if i miss. but i figure to make the 6.

if you maybe you were playing for 200 a game. but if you were, would you still have shot that shot. or what would you have done?

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
great shot mitch. but you did get lucky like the 4 ball not straight in for him or something else coming out. but it worked and thats what counts.
and you moved the balls to a good position for you.

im going to still shoot the 6 and draw my ball some and if i hit the 4 it will be on its left side so my cueball will end up near his rail and i will have some kind of shot. and maybe not leave him a shot if i miss. but i figure to make the 6.

if you maybe you were playing for 200 a game. but if you were, would you still have shot that shot. or what would you have done?
That question is not as simple as that Beatle and you know it. Am I the favorite? Is it early in the session? Do I want my opponent to know that I’m capable of anything to get his heart rate up? All just as important as the 200 for the game and absolutely I may have shot the same shot. But if it was 500 a game or more I would have come off the 10 and locked him on the 1. For 500+ I play a pretty squeezy game. :).

Reactions: lll

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I'm probably one of the worst ball makers in the forum. I like the idea of your shot of rearranging the furniture, but only if I am in real trouble, I know the importance of multiple ball movement, but the more balls that are moving, the easier it is to get a kiss and lose the game. I never played as well as you do , so I had to stay within a more controlled zone. For me , that is the biggest secret to One Pocket. Know your strengths and weaknesses and play within them. Whatever level. The time for experimentation is on the practice table, not playing for a sizeable bet.
Long ago, you used to be able to lose 500 in the afternoon and get it back that night, nowadays , if you lose 500 it might take you 2 weeks to even find someone with 500 they could possibly lose, not saying they will! Of course the guy you lost the original 500 to is usually MIA for a few days , comes back and needs a dollar for a coffee to get rid of the cob webs.
Thanks Billy.

I’m pretty lucky there’s lots of action in my pool room daily. It’s real easy to get 100-500 action most days. Heck I lost a few hundred just today 😂. But to your point, you are right about not experimenting for the cash though I don’t always listen to that advice if I’m being honest. (As you may have guessed lol)

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
It's real easy to get 100 to 500 dollar action anywhere in the country, is it possible to get this action and win as often as you lose?
Hopefully , we all wanted to make money, the next best thing was to break even and have a great match where you learned some things.
All I have seen for many years is lock artists, everywhere in the country I went .
I'm glad you are still getting legitimate action.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If you are gambling often I think you should hope to break even for the year, no?
Hopefully, as I said , making money would be the main goal, but that's almost impossible, except for a year or two window, when you become 4 balls better than everyone remembers and pluck the low fruit. Even that is almost over now, people call about any new face, and have them pretty much on the radar from the start. So yes , if you love to play and you want to gamble for more than a few dollars, breaking even is a great result. There are just too many trappers out there, to bring your win % down, and you had zero chance of beating them. It's just a matter of how stubborn you are , how much you give them. I'm sure you know all this as well as I do, just speaking to any of the new guys, without as much experience.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Good points Billy. I was given great advice when I first started gambling a bit better and getting decent at 1p. My one buddy, who has been around forever.. told me .. bet as much as you can now, because you have a window before the spots change and most people leave a lot of money on the table during that window. Now that those spots have changed and I’m playing much less and not outrunning as much… I wish I had listened better 😬. It’s over for me lol.

Reactions: lll

beatle

Verified Member
generally if i am trying to win, i shoot the same shot no matter what the bet is. and that is the shot that gives me the best % chance of winning that game.

as far as betting i still and always from the time i was a kid, if i felt i had the best of it and had enough money to withstand fluctuations the window was open for all bets.