Biggest shot in match.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I watched none of day one, about four hours of day two, and picked up on day three with the score tied at 23 games apiece and watched the remaining games. I thoroughly enjoyed watching these two guys battling back and forth, and Jeremy's commentary made the match that much more enjoyable. Like I initially thought this match could go either way. IMO there is no favorite here, and not only the score of the match suggests that but how the games were played also indicate that both players have the heart, stamina, and knowledge to sustain the caliber of play to make this match as close and exciting as a contest could be.

We could go back to the match and pick a shot that may have been the difference in the outcome of this match many shots fit that description but one, in particular, was executed in a very crucial time in the match and I believe it was the biggest shot in the match.

Danny was on a roll and had the momentum on his side battling back from a 20 to 15 deficit to take the lead at 27 to 26. Cory's speed dropped when the match was tied at 25 games each, giving Danny the next two out of three games at 27 to 26 and it looked like Danny was going to take control of the match, but Cory broke serve on Danny's break to tie the match at 27 apiece. Danny was playing great, and Cory was struggling a bit giving Danny a 28 to 27 advantage with Danny breaking the balls in game 56. It was then that Cory made the biggest shot in the match..IMO, and stole the momentum and match from Danny.

With the score 28 to 27 Danny leading, he broke the balls and broke them well leaving Cory in a very difficult situation.:eek: Cory pondered the situation for the longest and finally chose an option that would decide the game and match, and that shot was the shot after Danny broke the balls in game 56.

Maybe Larry can put the shot up and let us see what the position looked like. But nothing could do the shot the justice it deserves other than watching it live. If possible maybe someone could play the shot again in a video, if possible. That shot was the biggest shot in the match.

Dr. Bill

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I don't have video, but i think you are talking about the time Danny's cue ball came a little high after the break.

I want to say the 9 and 8 were on the rail near Danny's pocket.
Corey looked to have a clear line of site at the 10 and 12 balls which were sitting high on the top of rack area.
It didn't appear that he had anything on the bottom rail to play off or or ticky.

The 7 ball was down there, but it was about 2 ball lengths off the rail.
He chose to mash the 10 ball( i think) into the 9 or 8 thereby sending balls to his side.
He put what appeared to be high left on the ball and it slid off the stripe below it and ended up parking the cue ball near Danny's pocket.

He was fortunate to push all the balls towards his hole and hung up the 6 ball.

Danny attempted to make the six and I assume take out the 13 or whatever stripe was also by Corey's hole.
He missed contact with the stripe and ended up selling out.

I know JJ replayed this shot, so I am sure they have it captured and it will be fun to see how good my memory is after drinking and staying up till the end :)
It was a great match.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bill
i was sleeping when it occured so i didnt see the shot
ray is on his way to do another event so i dont think we can get a replay soon
thats too bad because i would love to see it

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
We could go back to the match and pick a shot that may have been the difference in the outcome of this match many shots fit that description

Cory was struggling a bit giving Danny a 28 to 27 advantage with Danny breaking the balls in game 56. It was then that Cory made the biggest shot in the match..IMO, and stole the momentum and match from Danny.

Dr. Bill

The shot you're talking about was an example of planning and executing a shot well enough to give a chance to be lucky, which Cory did, and was.

The shot I thought most crucial was -- I think -- in the game before when Danny had a 2-game lead and a 5 to -1 ball lead and Cory looked to me like he really had his dobber down. Danny shot a 75% cut down the rail (11-ball I think) with the balls open and several around Cory's pocket. (Granted, the shot would probably be a 90% shot playing rotation.) Anyway, he missed the shot and ended up losing that game to let Cory win the first of the 4-in-a-row that gave him the match.

No doubt I spent more time yelling at my computer screen than was justified, but on this one I had and have no doubt.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The back cut combo bank!! What a shot!! Good call Doc.

I think the Doc was talking about a force-forward take out on the first shot after the break with which Cory cleared 3 balls from around Danny's pocket and pushed several to his side and planted the CB by Danny's pocket.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
bill
i was sleeping when it occured so i didnt see the shot
ray is on his way to do another event so i dont think we can get a replay soon
thats too bad because i would love to see it

Ray said he's going to try do the replay for day #3 on Tuesday or Wednesday guys :)

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Good call as the shot of the match. Amazing outcome for Cory, pretty lucky the way it worked out for him. Full props for having the nerve to shoot it, I guess, but the chances to make a ball or not sell out had to be really small. After making the initial hit on a ball he banked back towards the stack, that ball came back and hit the cue ball which then slid off at least one other ball and then herded a ball right towards Danny's hole and then somehow double kissed it away from the hole and left the cue ball safe near Danny's hole. Cory didn't score on the shot but moved balls towards his hole and completely reversed the situation after the break. Who says there is no luck in one pocket?

I watched none of day one, about four hours of day two, and picked up on day three with the score tied at 23 games apiece and watched the remaining games. I thoroughly enjoyed watching these two guys battling back and forth, and Jeremy's commentary made the match that much more enjoyable. Like I initially thought this match could go either way. IMO there is no favorite here, and not only the score of the match suggests that but how the games were played also indicate that both players have the heart, stamina, and knowledge to sustain the caliber of play to make this match as close and exciting as a contest could be.

We could go back to the match and pick a shot that may have been the difference in the outcome of this match many shots fit that description but one, in particular, was executed in a very crucial time in the match and I believe it was the biggest shot in the match.

Danny was on a roll and had the momentum on his side battling back from a 20 to 15 deficit to take the lead at 27 to 26. Cory's speed dropped when the match was tied at 25 games each, giving Danny the next two out of three games at 27 to 26 and it looked like Danny was going to take control of the match, but Cory broke serve on Danny's break to tie the match at 27 apiece. Danny was playing great, and Cory was struggling a bit giving Danny a 28 to 27 advantage with Danny breaking the balls in game 56. It was then that Cory made the biggest shot in the match..IMO, and stole the momentum and match from Danny.

With the score 28 to 27 Danny leading, he broke the balls and broke them well leaving Cory in a very difficult situation.:eek: Cory pondered the situation for the longest and finally chose an option that would decide the game and match, and that shot was the shot after Danny broke the balls in game 56.

Maybe Larry can put the shot up and let us see what the position looked like. But nothing could do the shot the justice it deserves other than watching it live. If possible maybe someone could play the shot again in a video, if possible. That shot was the biggest shot in the match.

Dr. Bill

El Chapo

Verified Member
You guys are killing me, I wanna see the shot:heh

Reading this thread reminded me of a nick varner shot for some reason. He was playing jimmy fusco at a legends event and it was a long fought match near the end. Hill hill i think.

Nick got a shot and he was running some balls. I think he got a little straight on what looked like the last ball in his run. He looked at it a while, hit it in 100mph. The cb hit the rail, jumped up, flew kinda into the middle of the stack, opened up the entire game and i believe he ran out.

If i woulda saw that shot live i would have just slit my wrists right then and there. Too good.