Best way to hold this straight back bank ???

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
If it's damp, with dirty play conditions and the cloth is not slick, and if you can get whitey outta the way, it's possible. And if hit Extremely hard it's very possible to bank it 3 rails long rail, thus moving whitey, right to left, to the center of the short rail. Common shot on a cross side bank, 3 rails, but on the long rail 3 railer, the spin comes off, but if the cushions are real speedy, it's make-ability is increased..
I believe this is the shot John Schmidt likes, although the set up is different, in that the ob is more around the center pocket area to start with. Pretty remarkable how it works. thanks, Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The dimensions of the diagram are correct. On a pool table, (4.5x9) the diamonds are 12" apart, the balls are 2.25 in size, this means 5 balls width, (5x2.25"=12") between diamonds. Math may be a little off. 11.2.5" The diamonds encroach into the corner pockets.

This shot only needs to be cut a hair, with center or with a 1/4 tip low and 1/4 tip of RHE. When using the RHE, you really don't have to bang this shot.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I think its interesting how many different ways there are to make this bank. Every solution mentioned will work depending on conditions, table type, desired shape etc. I'll give you one more. On a Diamond you can make that ball with no side english. Aim it long and slam it in with straight bottom. It will easily straighten out enough to pocket it while missing the double kiss

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I think its interesting how many different ways there are to make this bank. Every solution mentioned will work depending on conditions, table type, desired shape etc. I'll give you one more. On a Diamond you can make that ball with no side english. Aim it long and slam it in with straight bottom. It will easily straighten out enough to pocket it while missing the double kiss

On a, 'Diamond' table, you may even be able to play the shot with, 'pocket speed', just as long as use enough draw to get out of the way of the OB.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You get some good height on that first shot, Whitey.
View attachment 433247
thanks so much for posting this! I tried to, but could not get it accomplished.
I now plan to study this ob jumping phenomena in depth. The ob is probably still climbing which is what we want w/ cb still partially in its path, as in this caption.
With that force and center ball hit the cb also jumps sideways nicely.
thanks again, Whitey

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I now plan to study this ob jumping phenomena in depth. The ob is probably still climbing which is what we want w/ cb still partially in its path, as in this caption.
thanks again, Whitey
Yes the OB seemed to still be elevating at the point of that screen capture, but only very slightly more to go.
What surprised me a bit was how much distance the OB covered while airborne. And the as you mention the CB jumps, but the CB elevation didn't help avoid contact, it was the speed.
By the video, even looking at it frame by frame, I was not able to get a good idea of whether the OB elevation helped avoid contact or if it would have cleared without that elevation.

These are fun shots to play with as they go a long way in demonstrating to oneself what is possible, what the limits are, how much spin can affect play. They're included in the 'hit a million balls' shots that advise the level of creativity and confidence of a player.

As crabbcatjohn observed; it is interesting to see/hear how many methods of making this shot came up.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
thanks again, Whitey
Making the CB jump is the secret to some thin cuts. For every fraction the CB goes up ,(gets a thinner hit) you get double that on the OB.
Sorry this doesn't seem very clear.:confused:

Last edited:

Shorty Bankz

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q4AHxEdiYQ5sjffH9 I believe this is how Bugs would hit this - center ball. Donnie Anderson the same but he would slam it if the rails play soft. Actually I should of said; "Eddie Taylor" instead of Bugs, for he likes to put a little fire in his bank.
With the ob that close to the rail and stroked at that speed then ob jumps off the rail and gives more room in clearing the cb.
The 6" is per diagram - from the rail to the center of the balls, not the edge. Which is 1/2 diamond on a 9' table. Each square is 3". So the ob is 1/2 diamond from the pocket w/ cb parallel.
I wanted to state this, for the point is uncommonly protruding out , which lends me to think this diagram program is off concerning the pockets. The pockets gives the elusion that there is little room to work the ob, as Steve points out.

Shorty,
keep them coming and thanks! Whitey
thanks again bank friend >>>

Shorty Bankz

If it's damp, with dirty play conditions and the cloth is not slick, and if you can get whitey outta the way, it's possible. And if hit Extremely hard it's very possible to bank it 3 rails long rail, thus moving whitey, right to left, to the center of the short rail. Common shot on a cross side bank, 3 rails, but on the long rail 3 railer, the spin comes off, but if the cushions are real speedy, it's make-ability is increased..
Thanks

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Bank it 3 times long rail in the same pocket.
If you got access to a table then video this shot, if you would. I, like others would like to see it. I believe other members have suggested this shot also, it would something to see, with the balls positioned like this. Very spectacular, and I can not recall ever seeing it done with the balls in this position.
If this shot was possible on my table I would do it, but my rails do not react this way, for the reversing to make this possible just does not happen on my table.
Someone needs to video tape this shot, that would really put a final note on this thread!
I seen Frost doing this shot across the short foot rail in warming up for his match with Chohan, but when the shot came up during the match, I was then surprised that he passed on it. It is quite a shot, thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
If you got access to a table then video this shot, if you would. I, like others would like to see it. I believe other members have suggested this shot also, it would something to see, with the balls positioned like this. Very spectacular, and I can not recall ever seeing it done with the balls in this position.
If this shot was possible on my table I would do it, but my rails do not react this way, for the reversing to make this possible just does not happen on my table.
Someone needs to video tape this shot, that would really put a final note on this thread!
I seen Frost doing this shot across the short foot rail in warming up for his match with Chohan, but when the shot came up during the match, I was then surprised that he passed on it. It is quite a shot, thanks, Whitey

If I can figure out how to upload a video and make the bank lol. Not sure if it goes on my table. I'll try it though. Re edit. I shot it several times and the ball wont take off the 2nd rail.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
If I can figure out how to upload a video and make the bank lol. Not sure if it goes on my table. I'll try it though. Re edit. I shot it several times and the ball wont take off the 2nd rail.
Thanks kybanks, yes it will not take hold on my table either. But since you can get the cb out of the way, I do think the shot is there on some rails. Whitey

Kybanks

Verified Member
Thanks kybanks, yes it will not take hold on my table either. But since you can get the cb out of the way, I do think the shot is there on some rails. Whitey

I'm gonna try and do it when my table is a little wet, if that ever happens. My rail cloth is still new and doesn't grab as well just yet. I have shot this shot on a diamond bar table several times ( wet ) and I make it 4 times long rail. Funny thing is I almost make it straight back in the bottom left corner and the ball turns back 2 diamonds off the 2nd rail. Then holds up on the 3rd and releases on the 4th.