Best way to hold this straight back bank ???

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Well, you have to get the CB out of the way of the kiss, so you overcut it a tad to the right and use RHE (Right Hand English), which in this case is Inside English.

A combination of the english you put on it, plus the natural english you gain by cutting the ball should hold it up and bank straight back.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I already have all of them .... that certain bank is not there ... thanks
by what you have asked so far
have you learned inside english holds banks/speed shortens (holds) banks/low can shorten banks
apply it when needed
outside lengthen banks/slow speed can lengthen a bank and out side english lengthens a bank

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Before you attempt this shot, play conditions must be considered before attempt. If it's a dry table with new cloth/slippery, then the cue ball speed is no where near one would need if conditions were just the opposite. Understanding the conditions, cue ball/cloth/humidity/ball cleanliness have a direct say in it's outcome/probability of make. Sometimes this shot in this scenario is not the right choice, if position for your next ball is in play.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I like shooting this with top right personally but that may just be preference. I feel like firm inside I bend it out of the pocket sometimes if I hit it firm and with the top to center ball the ball slides better for me into the pocket

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Given the very little information provided by the op, I made the assumption that the nuances given by Island Drive and Catkins might be more info than needed or useful at this point, and posted a 'starting place' answer.
Whether it is or might not be the right shot was not the question.
Not having any idea of the knowledge or experience of the op; it's hard to gauge an answer other than like Larry queried; 'What do you think?'.

Like Larry asked; do you (original poster) have a general understanding of the effects of spin and speed on banking?
Original poster says he's got all the books, so one would think the answer would be 'yes', but then why the beginner type question?

Yet as Island Drive suggested; a great deal of performing this shot depends on equipment and conditions. It's nigh impossible to know whether that shot can be made without some time at the table figuring out the (your) breaking point.

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The diagram shows very close to a kiss -- given how little room there is next to the pocket point you have to hit. Maybe on a Diamond or something that really shortens up it is easy, but not so much as I look at it, on ordinary tables. It is almost in that position that actually you might be able to make it either by cutting it to the left or the right (using opposite english of course). If there might not be enough room on the right, and the banks "turn" nicely on that table, I might cut it to the left.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q4AHxEdiYQ5sjffH9 I believe this is how Bugs would hit this - center ball. Donnie Anderson the same but he would slam it if the rails play soft. Actually I should of said; "Eddie Taylor" instead of Bugs, for he likes to put a little fire in his bank.
With the ob that close to the rail and stroked at that speed then ob jumps off the rail and gives more room in clearing the cb.
The 6" is per diagram - from the rail to the center of the balls, not the edge. Which is 1/2 diamond on a 9' table. Each square is 3". So the ob is 1/2 diamond from the pocket w/ cb parallel.
I wanted to state this, for the point is uncommonly protruding out , which lends me to think this diagram program is off concerning the pockets. The pockets gives the elusion that there is little room to work the ob, as Steve points out.

Shorty,
keep them coming and thanks! Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qdnoiWkeAxMupAo69 this is more in line with how Bugs would shoot this bank, for if you watch his videos this is the speed he uses on most every shot. If you pay attention to players such as Bugs, they have a consistent speed they like in pocketing banks, it is their comfort zone.
If you stop the video when the ob and cb are side by side there is only about a 1/8" gap.
This shot is actually easier on a 9' table for the pocket is closer thus increasing the angle going into it. But, on a Diamond table it might not work to use a 1/2 tip of inside, for it might reverse to much, so I think just straight center w/ a very slight over cut. Whitey

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
interesting...it never occurred to me to cross the ball... the pic is deceiving for sure..
If it's damp, with dirty play conditions and the cloth is not slick, and if you can get whitey outta the way, it's possible. And if hit Extremely hard it's very possible to bank it 3 rails long rail, thus moving whitey, right to left, to the center of the short rail. Common shot on a cross side bank, 3 rails, but on the long rail 3 railer, the spin comes off, but if the cushions are real speedy, it's make-ability is increased..